follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northern California

Northern California NorCal

User Tag List

Old 09-20-2018, 08:51 PM   #1
Kushkaki

Drives: Sold 16 FRS, 22 Neptune 86 on order
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Ticket for smoked tail lights and exhaust

Hey everyone, sorry if this isn’t the right place for this post. Today I got pulled over, reasons being my smoked Valentis and my loud exhaust (understandable). I was under the assumption smoked valentis were DOT approved. The officer told me if I can find documentation from the manufacturer saying it is approved, or if I take it for inspection and they check the lumen output of the taillights. My questions are, where can I find this document (if it’s out there), and where do I go for this inspection? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I can’t find more info and this is my first interaction like this. Thank you all
Kushkaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:06 PM   #2
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushkaki View Post
Hey everyone, sorry if this isn’t the right place for this post. Today I got pulled over, reasons being my smoked Valentis and my loud exhaust (understandable). I was under the assumption smoked valentis were DOT approved. The officer told me if I can find documentation from the manufacturer saying it is approved, or if I take it for inspection and they check the lumen output of the taillights. My questions are, where can I find this document (if it’s out there), and where do I go for this inspection? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I can’t find more info and this is my first interaction like this. Thank you all
The dot approval will be stamped on the taillight housing if they are.
Kushkaki (09-20-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 09:20 PM   #3
FUN BRZ
Drive 2 Eat, Eat 2 Drive

Drives: FUN SUPERCHARGED 2013 Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
California has a law that prohibits anything, even from the manufacturer, that would effect the light output taillights.

I don't recall where I read it before but there is a code that states that the light output of rear taillights need to be clearly visible up to x-amount of feet (I believe it's close to 1000 ft.) You could probably google this and it'll come up. Mainly to keep you from getting rear ended and what not.

Imagine if you were behind a black car at night with lights that were just blacked out and you could barely, BARELY, make out that they are stepping on their brakes.

I also believe CHP stations have a system that can measure if your lights are actually emitting enough light.

FUN_BRZ <--- "Insta-Fun"
FUN BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FUN BRZ For This Useful Post:
Kushkaki (09-20-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 09:28 PM   #4
VIP BRZ

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
You'll have to go to a State Inspection center to get proof that your exhaust is/has been "fixed" to be below 95.00 Db, The officer should have given you some information on how to scheduled the inspection.

The'll be able to test your lumen output there as well
VIP BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VIP BRZ For This Useful Post:
Kushkaki (09-20-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 09:47 PM   #5
FUN BRZ
Drive 2 Eat, Eat 2 Drive

Drives: FUN SUPERCHARGED 2013 Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...ctionNum=24600

Section "e" - "E"xplains it...

FUN_BRZ <--- "Insta-Fun"
FUN BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FUN BRZ For This Useful Post:
Kushkaki (09-20-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 10:16 PM   #6
Kushkaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The dot approval will be stamped on the taillight housing if they are.
I told this to the officer and showed him, he was saying that manufacturing companies can just stamp it on even if it’s not?
Old 09-20-2018, 10:18 PM   #7
Kushkaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIP BRZ View Post
You'll have to go to a State Inspection center to get proof that your exhaust is/has been "fixed" to be below 95.00 Db, The officer should have given you some information on how to scheduled the inspection.

The'll be able to test your lumen output there as well
Thank you! The officer told me i need to be at 80 DB, is 95 the actual limit? Because I’m catless headers and no muffler, and hoping just putting the muffler back on will solve the issue.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:19 PM   #8
Kushkaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUN BRZ View Post
California has a law that prohibits anything, even from the manufacturer, that would effect the light output taillights.

I don't recall where I read it before but there is a code that states that the light output of rear taillights need to be clearly visible up to x-amount of feet (I believe it's close to 1000 ft.) You could probably google this and it'll come up. Mainly to keep you from getting rear ended and what not.

Imagine if you were behind a black car at night with lights that were just blacked out and you could barely, BARELY, make out that they are stepping on their brakes.

I also believe CHP stations have a system that can measure if your lights are actually emitting enough light.
Ahh, thank you, I’m confident these lights are bright enough and will get it checked out, but worst comes to worst I still got my stockies and will eventually start looking at different (not black) tailllights
Old 09-20-2018, 11:12 PM   #9
Kushkaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUN BRZ View Post
If my understanding is correct, the law states it should be visible from 1000 ft away IN THE DARK. I’m confident the valentis are bright enough, I guess it was just bad luck with the sun shining right in my tails as the officer was behind me.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:23 PM   #10
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,240 Times in 8,609 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Catless header, no muffler, blacked out lights = giant sign saying "pull me over".

It worked.

Good luck getting it cleared up. I would put a legal exhaust back on. They will notice at the inspection station and you will be worse off if you pull up without the cats.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
Kimsey47 (09-21-2018), Mr.ac (09-21-2018), strat61caster (09-21-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 11:49 PM   #11
Kushkaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
Catless header, no muffler, blacked out lights = giant sign saying "pull me over".

It worked.

Good luck getting it cleared up. I would put a legal exhaust back on. They will notice at the inspection station and you will be worse off if you pull up without the cats.
Well when you put it that way, it sounds bad. But in my area there are a number of cars like that, guess I just got the short end of the stick. But anyways, will they really inspect for a cat if it is for a dB violation? The officer did look under my hood but I guess didn’t notice the headers.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:57 PM   #12
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,240 Times in 8,609 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Well when you put it that way, it sounds bad. But in my area there are a number of cars like that, guess I just got the short end of the stick. But anyways, will they really inspect for a cat if it is for a dB violation? The officer did look under my hood but I guess didn’t notice the headers.
I live in San Jose. Yes, they will inspect your exhaust. No, you didn't get any short end of a stick, you have an illegal car and got caught.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (09-21-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 01:01 PM   #13
Horrid_Funk

Drives: 2017 DGM BRZ PP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Just a heads up, I'm pretty sure Valentis don't have enough reflective surface on them to be CA legal. I've heard of someone getting pulled over and they had to put some reflective tape on their tails to make it compliant. You might get hassled about that as well.
Horrid_Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Horrid_Funk For This Useful Post:
Kushkaki (09-21-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 01:11 PM   #14
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
I told this to the officer and showed him, he was saying that manufacturing companies can just stamp it on even if it’s not?
People also modify parts after purchase, so the stamp doesn't always mean much

Quote:
Thank you! The officer told me i need to be at 80 DB, is 95 the actual limit? Because I’m catless headers and no muffler, and hoping just putting the muffler back on will solve the issue.
Put all your cats back in, stock intake, etc. Not worth the risk of multiple trips, extra violations, etc.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
Kushkaki (09-21-2018)