follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 04-21-2019, 06:30 PM   #15
toast

Drives: 14 BSP Edelbrock BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Spray paint is absolutely different from automotive paint. Anything on a car is a 2 part epoxy with a base and activator. The activator creates a chemical reaction to cure the paint. Almost anything out of a can will simply be a lacquer that 'cures' by a volatile compound evaporating. Put the volatile back and it should come right off. I would clay bar the area first, then use a microfiber towel and take it off with acetone, work in small areas and don't push hard, let the chemical do the work. When you are done you will need to rewax the car, the acetone will have taken any protective products off the car.
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to toast For This Useful Post:
Spuds (04-21-2019)
Old 04-21-2019, 07:00 PM   #16
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
see? if you ever need the correct info, instead of dozens of anecdotal ideas, just post the wrong info matter-of-factly, and suddenly the right info appears out of thin air!
Spuds (04-21-2019)
Old 04-21-2019, 07:15 PM   #17
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,146 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
why do people think alcohol will remove paint? Alcohol will not touch enamel (or cured acrylic for that matter).
The best bet would have been to deal with it before it cured but pretty much screwed at this point I am afraid.
You could try a bit of nail polish remover. It is a diluted acetone that could very well remove much of the dried paint without destroying the cured acrylic underneath.
Shit, that's what I meant.
Spuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:31 PM   #18
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toast View Post
Spray paint is absolutely different from automotive paint. Anything on a car is a 2 part epoxy with a base and activator. The activator creates a chemical reaction to cure the paint. Almost anything out of a can will simply be a lacquer that 'cures' by a volatile compound evaporating. Put the volatile back and it should come right off. I would clay bar the area first, then use a microfiber towel and take it off with acetone, work in small areas and don't push hard, let the chemical do the work. When you are done you will need to rewax the car, the acetone will have taken any protective products off the car.
The car paint is an acrylic or water based polyurethane not an "epoxy" and I don't believe Subaru uses a two part base coat but it is possible. Any other paint that can get on it could be an enamel, an acrylic, a urethane, or a lacquer. There is no telling what was in the spray can he ran over. Pure acetone may be a bit harsh but it will work with just about any type of coating. That is why I said the nail polish remover since it is diluted acetone and has a lower risk of stripping the clear coat off the car. Not sure what the advantage of clay baring first would be since that just pulls impurities from paint not strips it.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:10 PM   #19
toast

Whether it is solvent based or water based modern automotive paint is a base coat and clear coat. The clear coat is absolutely a two part mix, otherwise it would have even worse durability than it does now. The only two part spray cans that exist are made by SprayMax and cost $24 a can, it is what I use when I'm doing small projects and don't want to have to clean out my spray gun. The likelihood of him running over an activated can of spraymax that hasn't already gone through its pot life of 48 hours is pretty close to zero. So I don't care what he ran over, acetone will take it off and it will not affect his clear coat. Clay barring would take off any of the paint that isn't really adhered well.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:22 PM   #20
Oxyg3n

Drives: 2017 BRZ - WRB
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Pretty sure it's a new can. Btw guys I posted the can if paint I ran over in the link. I went back to the scene to look at it. And I will be visiting my detailer tomorrow. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G9600 using Tapatalk
Oxyg3n is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oxyg3n For This Useful Post:
humfrz (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 12:37 AM   #21
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Spray paint is absolutely different from automotive paint.....
Not everywhere, ain't never been ta West Virginia have ya -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 11:27 AM   #22
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Whether it is solvent based or water based modern automotive paint is a base coat and clear coat. The clear coat is absolutely a two part mix, otherwise it would have even worse durability than it does now. The only two part spray cans that exist are made by SprayMax and cost $24 a can, it is what I use when I'm doing small projects and don't want to have to clean out my spray gun. The likelihood of him running over an activated can of spraymax that hasn't already gone through its pot life of 48 hours is pretty close to zero. So I don't care what he ran over, acetone will take it off and it will not affect his clear coat. Clay barring would take off any of the paint that isn't really adhered well.
A two stage (base and clear) is not the same thing as a two part finish. I can not find anything that says the clear coat on Subarus are a two part finish. If they are it is pretty rare. You have something that shows it is a two part coating?
Old 04-22-2019, 11:50 AM   #23
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,936 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
@Oxyg3n Straight from Rustoleum…

https://www.rustoleum.com/project-ca.../paint-on-car/

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".

Last edited by Dadhawk; 04-23-2019 at 07:25 AM.
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
RickyBobby (04-25-2019), soundman98 (04-22-2019), Tcoat (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 03:58 PM   #24
toast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
A two stage (base and clear) is not the same thing as a two part finish. I can not find anything that says the clear coat on Subarus are a two part finish. If they are it is pretty rare. You have something that shows it is a two part coating?
Every clearcoat that is on a car made in the last 20 years is a polyurethane; it is chemically created by mixing a polyol and a polyisocyanate. Manufacturers used to use polyester polyols to make their paint. This was back when you could drive a car on a sandy road and not have all the clearcoat chip off like you do now. The downside is that while the activator (the '-cyanate' part) is universally nasty the polyester polyols are also not that great for the general health of the planet. At some point, when varies by manufacturere, they switched to acrylic polyols which are water-based and slightly less likely to kill everything that catches a whiff of the fumes used to paint.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:50 PM   #25
slizoth

Drives: 2013 WRB Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
I'm excited to see how this works out, if you don't get it sorted I suggest reaching out to ChrisFix. It'd make for an entertaining video to add to his YouTube collection.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:11 AM   #26
RickyBobby

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S AT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Great stuff, have used it before when my car got oversprayed. I would stay clear of acetone. It's one of the main components of commercial paint remover.
MSDS: https://www.fastenal.com/productimag...INC_882026.pdf

You could also try mineral spirits. It will not harm the clear coat. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klean-St...4005/100251041

Over the counter alcohol, IPA, will not remove cured paint.

Last edited by RickyBobby; 04-25-2019 at 08:00 AM.
RickyBobby is offline   Reply With Quote