follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 01-25-2016, 05:29 AM   #1
86 South Africa
POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drives: White Toyota 86 (Scion FRs)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
My thoughts on my build (Down South in Africa)!

I know I'm by no means the first to do these mods, but thought I'd add em here to keep sharing (never hurts to read a couple more opinions).

My mods thus far;

Headers + OP.
Flex Fuel + tune.
Whiteline trans bushing.
Whiteline rear diff bushing.
Whiteline hood dampers.
Shark fin antenna.
Valenti tail lights.

Update to mods;
The rest of the exhaust done (a bit loud for me so need to make a plan here!)
Powerbrake upgrade (high carbon, slotted front discs with better fluid and EBC lines all round).
Sprintex 210 SPS kit. Loooooove it!!
Bigger, stickier rubber (went to 225s).

1st update comments;
So far... I absolutely love the distinct lack of torque dip from the FF, headers and tune, and of course the sounds is improved. Ethanol ROCKS - at normal highway speeds I am actually seeing slightly better fuel consumption than stock... time will tell about city driving, but the temptation to put your foot down more makes it hard to compare

Honestly - EVERY Fr-s/BRZ or 86 owner should spend a few bucks to do headers + tune at the very least. The lack of that infamous torque dip makes the ownership experience so much better, and the drive soooooo much smoother! Worth every cent!

The bushings are great too - a really simple, cheap mod for better suspension feel. It doesn't feel much different at slow city speeds, but start cornering a bit harder and driving a little more and it just feels that little bit more "solid". I might actually invest in a few more soon.

The hood dampers are really a "luxury extra" but gotta say the are super smooth and stable. Having the extra space without the "stick thing" in your way is nice.

2nd round of comments;
The SC is mega, and with some stickier rubber just makes the car 50% more fun... especially on ethanol!
This car really does love more power and handles it easily.

Last edited by 86 South Africa; 04-12-2018 at 02:45 AM.
86 South Africa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 08:27 AM   #2
sqd

Drives: '13 SWP GT86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Reading that bold part about headers and tune makes me smile! Since I'm replacing the entire exhaust system and doing a E85 tune this year, so yeah, that makes me feel good I already knew about it being better of course, but every unprovoked statement like that is always nice.
The Following User Says Thank You to sqd For This Useful Post:
86 South Africa (02-01-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 07:55 AM   #3
86 South Africa
POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drives: White Toyota 86 (Scion FRs)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqd View Post
Reading that bold part about headers and tune makes me smile! Since I'm replacing the entire exhaust system and doing a E85 tune this year, so yeah, that makes me feel good I already knew about it being better of course, but every unprovoked statement like that is always nice.
Yeah it really makes it so much better to drive.
My tune also has some allowances for a full exhaust, so when I do the rest of it in the next month or two I should add a little more power (and sound) to it! Can't wait!!
e85 then adds another dollop of torque!

A side benefit I noticed is that slow driving on e85 (like slow town driving) didn't use too much more fuel than usual and highway cruising actually used a bit less. Of course WOT will use more, but who cares when you're enjoying yourself that much