follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-22-2015, 03:58 PM   #43
MokSpeed
Granny Shifter

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Thanked 1,289 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
It will be harder to find a nice monogram over time. There were 2000 made, with only 25% of those being manual. It could take a while to find a nice used one, depending on what color you want.
Well then I guess he should've bought one when they came out. That's what happens when you keep waiting for the next best thing. I have my twin so I'm content lol.

MokSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 04:21 PM   #44
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
Does anyone know if the changes made to the VSC in MY15s can be flashed to earlier models?
Not much changes if any, it still kicks in when in off mode, and any sort of wheel lift or traction loss it kicks in. Maybe the limit at where it turns on is higher now.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:26 PM   #45
torqdork

Drives: RV-7
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MokSpeed View Post
I'm sure you can easily find a pre-owned Monogram at that point. If not you could always just buy a BRZ if you find push start as a must.

As for the Scion aspect you could simply rebadge. It's not hard at all.
A 10 Series Registry member bought a new M/T three months ago from a Boston area dealership off of eBay. He said they had one more in stock at the time. I think it was Copeland Toyota/Scion in Brockton.
torqdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:40 PM   #46
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I'm sure you can easily find a pre-owned Monogram at that point. If not you could always just buy a BRZ if you find push start as a must.

As for the Scion aspect you could simply rebadge. It's not hard at all.
Well, if I'm gonna buy one, I'm gonna buy new. I've had bad experiences with used cars and want to eliminate that potential. As far as the BRZ route goes, I'd much rather deal with Subaru and I like their options but I just can't get over the front end. I love the styling of the 86/FR-S but the BRZ just doesn't do anything for me.

And it's not a matter of the badge. I actually like the way the Scion logo looks. It's simply their Monospec and Monoprice philosophies that piss me off. "You get one option and one price because, uh... it's easier! You don't have to worry about options because we have none! And you don't have to worry about negotiations because we never give discounts! Isn't that great?" Not to mention dealers are more likely to add their own mandatory garbage add-ons due to not having any premium models to upsell to. The dealer near me had like $1700 in worthless third party add-ons on all their new FR-S's. I cannot believe they get away with that crap.

So yeah, if Scion doesn't bring back the Monogram soon, then I may just go with a BRZ anyway. I can basically get a fully loaded BRZ for the price of a standard FR-S because of the dealer discounts.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:03 PM   #47
Atticus808

Drives: Splash Mountain
Thanked 2,337 Times in 918 Posts
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
damnit.
I was planning to buy one between December - April. but now I'm not sure if I wait or not..... by then it's only another year waiting

edit: fuck it. I'm buying it. no more waiting
Atticus808 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Atticus808 For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (04-23-2015), soulreapersteve (04-25-2015), stevesnj (04-23-2015), Ultramaroon (04-24-2015)
Old 04-23-2015, 09:52 AM   #48
MokSpeed
Granny Shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristecom View Post
I actually like the way the Scion logo looks. It's simply their Monospec and Monoprice philosophies that piss me off. "You get one option and one price because, uh... it's easier! You don't have to worry about options because we have none! And you don't have to worry about negotiations because we never give discounts! Isn't that great?" Not to mention dealers are more likely to add their own mandatory garbage add-ons due to not having any premium models to upsell to. The dealer near me had like $1700 in worthless third party add-ons on all their new FR-S's. I cannot believe they get away with that crap.

There are options or should I say add-ons. That's the whole point of monospec. You add what you need and want as opposed to being given "package options" in which you only care for half of the features. As for the monoprice goes, that only applies to current MY vehicles. So if you were able to find a brand new MY 2014 or even 2013 FR-S on the lot right now, you could easily negotiate the price down. They're not getting away with anything if you don't let them. Whether or not they're willing to budge depends on you.
The Following User Says Thank You to MokSpeed For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-23-2015)
Old 04-23-2015, 11:03 AM   #49
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticus808 View Post
damnit.
I was planning to buy one between December - April. but now I'm not sure if I wait or not..... by then it's only another year waiting

edit: fuck it. I'm buying it. no more waiting
Atticus808 (04-23-2015), Ultramaroon (04-24-2015)
Old 04-23-2015, 12:09 PM   #50
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
There are options or should I say add-ons. That's the whole point of monospec. You add what you need and want as opposed to being given "package options" in which you only care for half of the features. As for the monoprice goes, that only applies to current MY vehicles. So if you were able to find a brand new MY 2014 or even 2013 FR-S on the lot right now, you could easily negotiate the price down. They're not getting away with anything if you don't let them. Whether or not they're willing to budge depends on you.
So can I get the HID and LED headlamps as an add-on from scion? No. Can I get keyless access/start as an add-on from Scion? No. Can I get the nicer leather/alcantara seats as an add-on from Scion? No. Well, what can I get? Some overpriced third party components.

And if a car has been sitting on the lot for over a year then in my opinion, it's no longer new. I just want to be able to negotiate prices on a new vehicle like you can at every other car manufacturer's dealer. And I want to be able to pay more for official manufacturer options like those listed above. Sure, they mostly got it right with the Monogram but again, why limit the production? It's like they're trying not to make money here.

But yeah, the dealers who add those options either keep them quiet and pretend it's just part of the base price or lie to their customers to make it sound like they're getting a good deal. I should show you what they priced the add-ons at. It was like $100 for nitrogen in tires, $800 for "coating", $1000 for tint, and a few other ghetto mods. But yeah, obviously I would never buy from them and will look elsewhere but still, I feel bad for the suckers who do and think it gives Toyota a bad name.
airjonny (04-23-2015), Atticus808 (04-23-2015), funwheeldrive (04-23-2015)
Old 04-23-2015, 12:25 PM   #51
MokSpeed
Granny Shifter

Quote:
So can I get the HID and LED headlamps as an add-on from scion? No. Can I get keyless access/start as an add-on from Scion? No. Can I get the nicer leather/alcantara seats as an add-on from Scion? No. Well, what can I get? Some overpriced third party components.

And if a car has been sitting on the lot for over a year then in my opinion, it's no longer new. I just want to be able to negotiate prices on a new vehicle like you can at every other car manufacturer's dealer. And I want to be able to pay more for official manufacturer options like those listed above. Sure, they mostly got it right with the Monogram but again, why limit the production? It's like they're trying not to make money here.
In all the time you've spent waiting for "the right car" you could've been enjoying a twin. Not having alcantara and push start doesn't make the car any less fun to drive. It sounds like the Monogram was the car that fit all your needs. Should've grabbed one when you had the chance.

I'll simply have to quote @Tcoat at this point....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The Following User Says Thank You to MokSpeed For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-23-2015)
Old 04-23-2015, 12:33 PM   #52
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
It was like $100 for nitrogen in tires, $800 for "coating", $1000 for tint, and a few other ghetto mods. But yeah, obviously I would never buy from them and will look elsewhere but still, I feel bad for the suckers who do and think it gives Toyota a bad name.
I was going to add several of those "ghetto mods" (Tint, clear bra, Scion spoiler) anyway but they were already on the car in the dealer's show room. It also already had lowering springs and TRD exhaust and drop in on it. The fun part was that I paid nothing for the 3rd party stuff and dealer cost for parts only on the TRD add ons. So in my case at least the extras were worth it to me since I was going to do all of that anyway and I saved a shitload of money by them already being there. Of course that was just pure luck of the draw but I am sure it happens with loads of other people as well.
I do agree though that it would be nice to be able to pick and choose some of the other options but unfortunately for good or bad the Scion business model just doesn't work that way.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:54 PM   #53
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Yeah, if a monogram is what you wanted, why didn't you just buy one?
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 01:41 PM   #54
Hoahao

Drives: 2014 Monogram Hot Lava
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
This link, if it works, shows 26 new Monograms for sale

http://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchr...=GN_REFINEMENT
Hoahao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 02:20 PM   #55
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I think you misunderstand Pure Price. Its not that the price never changes, in fact it does. You just don't haggle for the price. I don't know many places that had new 10 series cars sitting out for a while (and some places did, even a year after they were released) that are still going to sell them for original MSRP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It has priests in it?
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HunterGreene For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-23-2015)
Old 04-23-2015, 02:53 PM   #56
hmong337
Emperor JDM

Drives: '91 MR2 Gen3 3SGTE, '13 FRS
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I hope that whatever revision/updates to the mid-cycle refresh can be applicable to our first gen models.