follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 06-27-2019, 10:01 AM   #57
Sgaldi

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I’m starting to get what people mean when talking about the fan boys...so you think this is the slowest car on the road with the best handling? This thing does handle like a gt3 n all but shit ha
Sgaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 01:29 PM   #58
Tristor

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgaldi View Post
handling is above average but not great.

What do you consider a great handling car? Only thing I've ever been in which beat this was a Cayman GTS, but those are multiples the price.

Quote:
I’m starting to get what people mean when talking about the fan boys...so you think this is the slowest car on the road with the best handling? This thing does handle like a gt3 n all but shit ha

I don't think anybody is being a fan boy. You made a pretty extraordinary claim so folks are just asking for your basis for making that claim. I'd say the GT3 is much better than an 86 in the handling department, having driven both. But I think that the 86 is more fun (and a significant fraction of the cost).
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 04:37 PM   #59
Sgaldi

Like I said it above average and good for the price, I test drove a MX-5 and personally think it edges over the 86, got the BRZ cause I think it looks way better. Not the fastest car on the road but as long as you stay above 5500rpm it can feel pretty fast, the handling is tight and fun for sure but like I said not the best either. Overall it’s a well rounded fun car to drive....also the gt3 comment was a joke, the gt3 is what I’d call a great handling car, I was able to drive my buddies dads a couple time and that’s my dream car

Last edited by Sgaldi; 06-27-2019 at 05:10 PM.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:45 PM   #60
NCtoBRZ

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Like I said it above average and good for the price, I test drove a MX-5 and personally think it edges over the 86, got the BRZ cause I think it looks way better. Not the fastest car on the road but as long as you stay above 5500rpm it can feel pretty fast, the handling is tight and fun for sure but like I said not the best either. Overall it’s a well rounded fun car to drive....also the gt3 comment was a joke, the gt3 is what I’d call a great handling car, I was able to drive my buddies dads a couple time and that’s my dream car
You think that the floppy suspension with numb and overly light steering Miata edges over the 86.... ok then, you are entitled to your opinion. The 86/BRZ is definitely not the best handling car on the road on paper, but I will say it is definitely amongst the best of newer cars on the road for handling FEEL (balance, response, steering, etc.).
NCtoBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NCtoBRZ For This Useful Post:
Adam_L (07-05-2019), iag48st (06-28-2019), Rogues Gambit (06-28-2019), Tristor (06-28-2019), weederr33 (06-27-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 10:08 PM   #61
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,587 Times in 2,929 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
You people obviously don't know what good handling is. So take your weebo fingers out of your butts and accept it's a John Deere 300 Series mower. That fool doesn't even know what body roll is!

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (06-27-2019), ~el~jefe~ (08-02-2019)
Old 06-29-2019, 10:43 AM   #62
Sgaldi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtoBRZ View Post
You think that the floppy suspension with numb and overly light steering Miata edges over the 86.... ok then, you are entitled to your opinion. The 86/BRZ is definitely not the best handling car on the road on paper, but I will say it is definitely amongst the best of newer cars on the road for handling FEEL (balance, response, steering, etc.).
Even with the floppy suspension the Miata handles better..but the feel eh ? I didn’t know that’s what we were looking for
Old 07-04-2019, 03:33 PM   #63
PWBRZ

Drives: 2013 BRZ 6MT
I bought mine for pretty much the same reasons mentioned by @Prodigalson :

Qte
It has a great driver's position, pedal and shifter placement, a great view across the hood. I love the handling (the PP is more comfortable than the suspension in my FR-S). Once you get into some turns, the car takes on a whole new level of fun. It is intuitively easy to drive at the limit, it never surprises me. The Corvette is the only car I feel similarly about.
Unqte

I've only done poly bushings, slightly stiffer roll bars and Raceseng Caster/Camber plates - all else stock except for tires of course. And after having recently driven both a 2008 Cayman S (manual trans) and a 2015 C-7 Corvette (auto) I'd say the steering feel and feedback is on par with the Cayman and a little better than the Vette. The Vette and Cayman are amazing but with the BRZ it's limits feel more approachable and the fun to be had by hooning it; it's truly a ten/tenths type of car. Although the engine sounds in the Vette and Cayman are far more pleasing, as well as the acceleration, especially with the Vette.

I'd suggest getting used but don't get any 2013 models without doing a VIN search to see if they are in need of the valve spring recall. I'd think any 2014-present, preferably CPO, would be good.
PWBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 05:00 PM   #64
xenarc

Drives: 2017 SUBARU BRZ
At first when I got in the driver seat I thought "oh no, this interior is way too small"
After the test drive I said "Im taking this dam car home!
The handling is something unique this car has. I used to own 2 VW GTIs and I grew to hate them because of their famous CEL problems.

My face when I corner hard and other cars are seen in the rear view mirror struggling to corner fast.

Feistyfrog (07-04-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 06:59 PM   #65
Howaitoguru

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Since I was in high school I wanted one. And I initially wanted a 370z but couldn’t afford one so I bought my 1 owner 2016 BRZ from Carmax. I love it. Definitely an upgrade from my 2004 5 speed optima. I blew the engine up on her. I’m glad I got my BRZ though. Everyone in GA has an 86 or FRS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Howaitoguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 08:49 AM   #66
leevanf

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited A/T
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
because the wrx/sti was way too much car for my needs
leevanf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:17 AM   #67
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,187 Times in 3,474 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Small, cute, well balanced and fun car. I also like the fact that the platform is ripe for high performance parts, the market is huge!!
JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:41 AM   #68
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
My '93 325i w/ manual transmission was my all-time favorite car I've owned. It was the best combination of reliable, easy to work on when necessary, fuel-efficient, fun to drive, enough room to haul my gear or family (keyboard player), RWD and MT. THe last two are non-negotiable for me.. that's the only kind of car I like to drive, especially in our nasty winters. When the salt finally ate it at 240K miles, I started looking for a replacement but couldn't find another one w/out either a bazillion miles on it or a ridiculous price tag. I paid $8500 for mine w/ 66K miles on it when I bought it... wasn't seeing anything south of $10K w/ 100K on the clock.

Sooo... what else was out there with the following prioritized attributes..

1. RWD
2. MT
3. Reliable
4. Economical
5. Fun to drive
6. Room for my gear
7. A good value
8. Easily serviced/repaired

The '13 FRS was the only vehicle I could find that satisfied those criteria.. I had never even heard of one until I started looking. I paid $17,500 for mine w/ 22K on it, certified warranty, and that was the most I've ever paid for a car by $2,500. Aside from the four month trip to Hades that was the recall/blown engine/engine replacement/trouble afterwards w/ wrong valve adjustment/now-fixed debacle, I've been quite happy with the car, and now have 72k miles on it (about 800 miles on the brand new engine).

I'd still trade it, instantly, for another E36 325i in great shape.
Old 07-06-2019, 02:45 PM   #69
PulsarBeeerz

Drives: JRSC BRZ SOLD
It was a BRZ, 370z, or S2000. I already have a DD CRV and just didn't want to be a Honda guy. Too many civic owner flash backs from Craigslist. The 370z was high on the list and I still enjoy seeing them on the road. However, I never really heard anything great about them. So I got the car known for making better drivers and a huge aftermarket if I get bored.
PulsarBeeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 09:48 PM   #70
Dirty Harry

Drives: 2013 BRZ Satin White Pearl
For my 27th birthday my girlfriend at the time hired a Porsche Boxster (986) for the weekend for me. I loved that car and always wanted a Boxster or Cayman. Overseas work/travel and buying a house put those plans to rest. Fast forward to July 2012, when the twins came out and it sparked my interest in cars again. After test driving the BRZ it felt similar to the 986 Boxster to me. Similar power outputs, handling and a lot less $$$ than a new Cayman etc. and I didn’t want a used Porsche. I’d been driving a 1995 Nissan Micra hatch back (55kw/74hp) since uni and knew I didn’t want to be driving it in my 40’s.

The Toyota 86 waiting lists were out to 18 months in Oz, hard to believe. The Subaru BRZ was about to launch here and I test drove one and immediately new I had to have it. It was still a 10 month wait, but better than 18 months and there are less BRZs around than 86s, so I thought it’d be a bit more unique too. I’m still loving the car 6 years later and have made some minor mods to make it my own. The power for me was never a problem coming from such a low hp, albeit light, hatch back. If you love fun involving cars, buy one. As these types of cars are fast becoming few and far between. You won’t regret it.

Last edited by Dirty Harry; 07-14-2019 at 04:23 AM.
Dirty Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dirty Harry For This Useful Post:
Feistyfrog (07-14-2019), joro2 (07-14-2019), soundman98 (07-13-2019)