follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 12-14-2014, 06:54 PM   #1219
Turdinator
Seņor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelvinBRZ View Post
Thinking about buying one - after more than a year since release, has anyone ran into issues that I should be aware of?

Any updated reviews / impressions would be awesome
I have had mine on for about 6 months now and love it. It makes a noticable difference to the feel of the car. The only downside i have heard is that it won't fit with the Crawford BPBs.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:58 PM   #1220
boredom.is.me
Custom User Title

Drives: Asphalt FR-S MT
Thanked 1,182 Times in 697 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdinator View Post
I have had mine on for about 6 months now and love it. It makes a noticable difference to the feel of the car. The only downside i have heard is that it won't fit with the Crawford BPBs.
That's a downside of the BPB, not the GS STB.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:07 AM   #1221
KelvinBRZ
GBS Mafia Member

Drives: with Snow mode on
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Installed the GS bar today. Here's my background and review:

I started working 40 miles away from where I live half a year ago, so my BRZ has become my 80 mile trip DD. LA freeways are notorious for running on elevated bridges, which have uneven pavement and rough patches of mis-leveled road. Also, I tend to be a little more "spirited" than usual when making left and right turns at intersections that would typically have a passenger utter an uneasy "woaaaaah..." as I turn right or left without slowing down as much.

That being said, it seems like once I installed the GS bar, the difference was initially subtle, but after the end of my 80 mile trip from work, the benefits are obvious. For one, the steering wheel as become a tiny bit more "heavy" and travel has been reduced when maneuvering the car.

The second most obvious benefit is turning corners. The car seems more planted in the front while turning - enabling me to turn at slightly faster speeds (let's say I exit out of a "u-turn" off ramp at 35mph, and at 38mph the wheels begin to chirp. At 40 MPH with the GS bar, I was still able to get through the offramp with the same settings on the nannies (nannies off) without having the wheel chirp. Although there are many factors that could tie into this situation; going through this offramp on the daily has provided me with past experiences of pavement conditions (hot, cold, wet, etc.)

The third benefit is that small bumps and unevenness in the road seem to be slightly absorbed somewhere by the chassis. There's a section on the 605 Freeway in Los Angeles that feels as if you're riding a horse (the up and down motion) in the BRZ. With the GS bar on, it feels as if the horse got a luxury upgrade. Still a horse, but with more padding almost.

GBS Mafia
KelvinBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KelvinBRZ For This Useful Post:
GrimmSpeed (12-22-2014), ZZT86 (03-25-2015)
Old 03-25-2015, 04:16 AM   #1222
wired

Drives: Scion FR-S 2015
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just ordered one of these today, hoping to improve the up/down jerkiness I get on crappy CA roads

Kinda nervous about not damaging the nuts.

Anybody have any Scion dealership experience with this thing installed? Is it something I should remove before getting the car serviced?
Old 03-25-2015, 10:00 AM   #1223
GrimmSpeed

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 WRX
Thanked 3,550 Times in 885 Posts
Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to GrimmSpeed Send a message via MSN to GrimmSpeed
Quote:
Originally Posted by wired View Post
Just ordered one of these today, hoping to improve the up/down jerkiness I get on crappy CA roads

Anybody have any Scion dealership experience with this thing installed? Is it something I should remove before getting the car serviced?
Awesome! I'll let others chime in regarding dealership experiences, but as far as the nuts/studs go, if you follow the torque spec, you'll be just fine.

Looking forward to seeing how you like the improvement, so be sure to post back up once you've got some miles on it!

Matt Beenen
Engineering
GrimmSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrimmSpeed For This Useful Post:
wired (03-25-2015)
Old 03-25-2015, 10:15 AM   #1224
Jonsey

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:

There are certain items I would consider removing before going to the dealership, a strut bar is not one of them.
civicdrivr (03-25-2015), wired (03-25-2015)
Old 05-10-2015, 06:40 PM   #1225
Dino451

Drives: Scion FRS/Whiteout/OEM spoiler
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

Nope no issues. Been through at least two services and left the car at the dealer for a few days for a wheel bearing issue. They never said a peep about the bar.