follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 11-15-2019, 04:33 AM   #1
toddy101

Drives: LS3 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
LS3 swapped BRZ with EVERYTHING working - Plug in Canbus Translator

Hey guys, a few of you might remember me from a few years ago on this forum particularly around the Canbus discussions, as well as a few of the conversion Facebook groups. I developed the first Canbus translator for the LS3 to BRZ/86/FRS platform several years ago.

After selling a few translators and traveling large distances around Australia wiring up LS conversions in these cars, I had two great ideas.
1) I have to do this awesome conversion myself
2) Provide a product that requires minimum to no wiring by the end user so it can be wired up quicker and easier.
3) Need to get EVERYTHING working, particularly in Australia, where safety systems such as ABS, VDC and Traction control must work to be fully road legal, as well as having full OBDII compliance.

So, I purchased a used 2013 BRZ, Brand new LS3 crate motor TR6060 Gearbox and the standard E38 ECU. The LS3 was chosen because another requirement in Australia is the engine is to be the same year or newer than the chassis, with all emissions components in place. This pretty much limits the conversion to the LS3 or the 6ltr out of the VE/VF SS Commodore.

So, designed some lasercut engine/geabox mounts in 3D CAD to allow fitment of the standard LS AC Compressor with enough room at the firewall for the heater and AC compressor lines, other mounts on the market at the time didn't work with the AC compressor, or work well in a RHD vehicle..
The Canbus translator got a new twist. Rather than wire in several wires to get it to work ( or about 20 if you want Cruise Control, AC and Pushbutton Start to work), all the wiring is available at the original FA20 ECU plugs, so lets plug it into these plugs that are already wired up inside the car!
This then leaves about 50 wires free to use at the redundant FA20 plug in the engine bay, so used the translator circuit board (which fits into the FA20 ECU housing) to patch wiring from the FA20 engine plug, to the wiring within the vehicle.
Rather than retrofit a GM pedal into the BRZ, the translator converts the BRZ pedal voltages to GM voltages.
After producing a few prototypes in 2018 and trialing in a couple of cars, we released the full version early 2019.
The new system gets just about every OEM function working, including:
ABS, VDC and Traction Control (with two traction control calibration settings for Normal and SPORT modes)

Cruise Control
Pushbutton Start
Air Conditioning (both manual and climate AC as well as clutch and variable displacement compressors supported)
Fuel Pump controller
All the original translator functions for the display (Tacho, Temp, MIL and Oil Pressure Lamps) as well new functions such as gear indication and shift light)
The new translators also have bluetooth connectivity, allowing live data, diagnostics and test modes to be run using an App and Android phone.

We did originally provide a full plug and play solution with a modified GM harness with the FA20 engine plug pre-installed, however had issues getting more after purchasing the last one from GM month ago. We have now sourced an alternate supply of looms and will have them available soon.

The traditional wire in translator has also been updated with just about all functions of the Plug and Play version, including the Bluetooth option, and can be wired up to non-canbus engines (such as older LS1, 2JZ, Barra engines), this is about to be added to the plug and play version also, however the customer will have to work out their own engine wiring.

In early 2020 we will have a 3rd translator available, this will be a very basic translator. No screen (although it can be optioned with Bluetooth), concentrating on just the basic functions (although still more than the original translator, and any other translator on the market). This translator will also be suitable for older non-can engines and provide a very cost effective easy solution.

And some Videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCc...hRP7zOzolfB96w

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/AGTEngineering/

Last edited by toddy101; 11-15-2019 at 06:53 AM.
toddy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to toddy101 For This Useful Post:
B T (11-15-2019), BigTuna (11-15-2019), burningjello (11-15-2019), Dadhawk (12-03-2019), DriftinFRS (12-03-2019), JD001 (12-03-2019), sato (12-01-2019), Sportsguy83 (11-15-2019), TRS (04-14-2020), TunaNoCrust (11-15-2019), wparsons (11-20-2019)
Old 11-15-2019, 04:56 AM   #2
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,183 Times in 1,109 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
2017+ steering wheel controls?
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 06:13 AM   #3
toddy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86MLR View Post
2017+ steering wheel controls?

Yes, there's one translator in a late model facelift model. There are also a few extra gauges on the later model clusters such as oil temp, which is mapped to the LS oil temp sensor (if fitted).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to toddy101 For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (11-15-2019), wparsons (11-20-2019)
Old 11-15-2019, 08:44 AM   #4
TunaNoCrust

Drives: 86, 981S, RX8, 2500HD, GenesisV8
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
This is awesome, exceptional work!
TunaNoCrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 01:02 AM   #5
Zer0

Drives: 2015 frs
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
@toddy101 Could you show more of your engine mounting solution?
Zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 02:24 AM   #6
MadArkitekt

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
You are nothing short of astonishing. The software engineer in me is geeking out as hard as the gear monkey is. Your project strikes a special chord with me as I grew up building engine with a man who’s done some wild stuff with LSX’s not terribly long ago; he mounted two sequentially in a Z28 show car and I think he’d get a kick out of your doing this. May I show him the pictures? (Just wanted to make sure I got your permission.) Finally? As your are the a wizard of the CanBus. Could you please point me towards some reference material you found particularly helpful during your research; I have a macchinaM2 open source dingo and would love to do more than log data to my iPhone on an app so wrote. Thanks again for sharing all that,
MadArkitekt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MadArkitekt For This Useful Post:
wparsons (11-20-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 02:39 PM   #7
matt88

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 GTS Manual
Newb questions...

If this translator replaces the stock ecu, how/where does traditional "engine tuning" get performed? That is, if I take the car to a tuner to perform a tuning service to squeeze out best performance of the LS3 engine from the engine map is this still performed by generally available tools like ecutek, oft, via OBDII etc? Would the tuner need any special instruction for such a process or will they see this process as seamless as any other customer? Would the tuning process look like any other GM LS3 customer to them?

Does it allow for any other enhancements traditionally discussed on our ECU's for things such as CEL code ignore, rev match, flat foot, various maps that you can quickly access at start up like valet mode, accelerator mapping etc?

Does rev limit and shift indicator/beep still function?

Also the GTS has a display in the cluster with g sensor, power/torque curve, odometer, trip meter. Are these retained/working?

I'm on the Sunshine Coast QLD and will start swap soon. Probably get an LS3 and 6060 from Holmart. 2017 GTS manual. Car has less than 1000km on it so if anyone is interested in virtually brand new engine, trans, diff etc, pm me.

Cheers,
Matt
matt88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 06:02 AM   #8
toddy101

Hi Matt, yes the translator replaces the factory FA20 ECU, however on the LS engine wiring, the LS Engine ECU is basically on the engine (you can see it mounted in front of the fusebox), so it runs the LS ECU (E38). As far as OBDII, tuning etc, it behaves exactly as if it was plugged into a Commodore. You can use tuning software such as HP tuners, and this plugs straight into the factory 86/BRZ OBDII port and can be set to do some of the functions you mention.
I purchased my engine from Holmart.

The translator is working in a late model GTS, believe most of the extra displays on the dash are working.
The other good thing about the new translators are that they are software up-gradable via bluetooth. Just finished a minor update that added a few features as a result from feedback from customers.
I was actually up your way just over a week ago. Unfortunately never made it to the Noosa North shore park due to the bushfires, although managed to do a beach run from Rainbow to Noosa after a lengthy detour via Gympie.

Thankyou others for the kind comments. I will try and add some more build photos soon, including the mounts (once I can host more photos).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to toddy101 For This Useful Post:
wparsons (11-20-2019), Zer0 (11-22-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 07:03 AM   #9
matt88

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 GTS Manual
Thanks for the response toddy101. Yes, it's a shame the fires up this way at the moment.

It's good to know you also used Holmart. It gives me peace of mind I'm going in the right direction.

That said, did they supply the LS3 with or without the engine harness and E38 ecu? Did you have to buy these separately? If you had to buy these separately (or any other key items to connect and get it running) are you able to refer me to any good suppliers you know of for these additional items?

I notice there are a few sellers on ebay offering things like E38 unlocking, tuning etc. Should I avoid these?

At least now I know if the E38 is used I can rock up to any Holden skilled tuner and get the job done. I have found in the past the minute you kind of (but don't really) know what to ask for with tuners they start to see dollar signs in their eyes and start charging like wounded bulls, saying it needs longer, more dyno time, more fault finding etc. which would obviously be a load of crap if it is just a bog standard commodore tuning job.
matt88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 07:56 PM   #10
Snake

Drives: ADM Toyota 86 GT
So just out of interest, how much do you sell the whole package for? I see on your Facebook page that the translator is $1400 AUD, how much is the conversion kit?
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:41 PM   #11
Stevemode

Drives: "Baby Gurl" of FBM
This looks promising. Solid work, M8!

IG: Stevemode62
Stevemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 07:58 AM   #12
rakanet

Drives: 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddy101 View Post

Regarding the water pump plumping i think you have mistake,
its better to have the thermostat inlet to the lower outlet in the radiator.
rakanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:20 AM   #13
toddy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt88 View Post
Thanks for the response toddy101. Yes, it's a shame the fires up this way at the moment.

It's good to know you also used Holmart. It gives me peace of mind I'm going in the right direction.

That said, did they supply the LS3 with or without the engine harness and E38 ecu? Did you have to buy these separately? If you had to buy these separately (or any other key items to connect and get it running) are you able to refer me to any good suppliers you know of for these additional items?

I notice there are a few sellers on ebay offering things like E38 unlocking, tuning etc. Should I avoid these?

At least now I know if the E38 is used I can rock up to any Holden skilled tuner and get the job done. I have found in the past the minute you kind of (but don't really) know what to ask for with tuners they start to see dollar signs in their eyes and start charging like wounded bulls, saying it needs longer, more dyno time, more fault finding etc. which would obviously be a load of crap if it is just a bog standard commodore tuning job.
Hey Matt, The Holmart engine is pretty bare, no harness, alternator, belts, idlers, starter motor or AC compressor. Some of these you can purchase from Holmart with the engine, the rest I purchased from Holden at a reasonable price (compared to Subaru Prices!).
I have just sourced a whole heap of brand new LS engine wiring harnesses, so will get these modified with the FA20 plug shortly. With the E38, just purchase a 2nd hand one (or can buy new from holmart), you will need to remove the VATS anti-theft (the unlocking) and a few other options to run correctly. I can also do this, however if you plan to get a tune done, probably best to get your tuner to do it. To get into the ECU you have to purchase credits for every unique ECU, so if I (or an unlocker) unlocks the ecu will cost credits, then your tuner to edit the tune will have to also purchase credits. Most cost effective to get the tuner to unlock it, then only one shop has to purchase credits for your ecu.
Old 12-02-2019, 05:23 AM   #14
toddy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
So just out of interest, how much do you sell the whole package for? I see on your Facebook page that the translator is $1400 AUD, how much is the conversion kit?
Hey Snake, the translator and plug only for a DIY harness mod is $700AU. $1400 includes a GM modified LS wiring harness with the FA20 plug pre-fitted.
The Following User Says Thank You to toddy101 For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (12-02-2019)