follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 11-13-2019, 06:57 PM   #43
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86MLR View Post
What's a "eco light"
the little upshift triangle. it's always telling me i'm doing something wrong, or otherwise, letting me know i'm in gear.
86MLR (11-13-2019)
Old 11-13-2019, 07:03 PM   #44
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway7 View Post
Decade"s" is an exaggeration, but I have family cars whom the coolant has never been touched in 13 years and the level is perfectly fine. While with this car, I find myself topping up the coolant every 9 months or so.
Not sure that adding a few ounces ever 9 months is frequent nor an issue. I have had family cars that needed it added every couple
Of months and they were normal. Different cars have different needs and that does not make them problems.
Old 11-14-2019, 05:28 PM   #45
qqzj

Drives: MDX, Camry
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busybee View Post
Hi,

I have a 2019 limited and 14000 miles. Last month I just checked some of the liquids and realized that the coolant level was at min (cold). After driving from Boston to NY the level gets close to max (is normal when the car is heated)

Today I checked before turning on (cold) and the level was way below the min. I did drive just 5 miles and it was just close to min. It’s scares me but never had this in my previous cars. I always check the ground for any leaks (coolant oil etc) and never saw a leak.

This car has been used only for my weekly Boston - NY trips and has the 14K miles. Never pushed the car and regularly drive 60-70 MPH.

I wonder if the decrease of the coolant is normal. I had my 6K and 12K Checks at the Subaru dealer and they also did not mention anything regarding this.

I can get the oem Subaru coolant and put a little in. Just wanted to ask if there is anything to worry about.

If topping it, should I add it on a heated (and after how long driving) car?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The same happened to me before. I added OEM coolant once and never need to replenish again. My theory is that Subaru doesn't properly burp the coolant well before shipping the cars. Lazy bastard. I never needed to spend $30 on coolant prematurely before.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
qqzj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to qqzj For This Useful Post:
Busybee (11-15-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 05:37 PM   #46
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,389 Times in 6,120 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
the little upshift triangle. it's always telling me i'm doing something wrong, or otherwise, letting me know i'm in gear.
I just use the little round red light to tell me when to shift...

Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (11-16-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 06:20 PM   #47
mrhayes1

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS white
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
You should check your coolant at consistent times. Check it the morning before you drive when the car is cool. The coolant level should always be the same. You may have to add a bit of coolant every once in a while (every few months maybe ?? but that's it).

I live in AZ where it is dry and hot as hell and have only added coolant a handful of times of the past 5 years. If you are loosing coolant significantly enough to where it is noticeable over a short period of time that is not normal despite what anyone tells you.
mrhayes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrhayes1 For This Useful Post:
Busybee (11-23-2019), sato (10-29-2021)