follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 06-11-2019, 08:41 AM   #15
Xero-Limit

Drives: JDL Turbo FRS, 335SC BRZ (ret)
Thanked 1,547 Times in 525 Posts
Mentioned: 380 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
This one is not the tune. Timing is where it should be and while your boost may or may not be accurate (likely it is not accurate) based on MAF flow rate increase it is likely not very high. We see this from time to time with a weak motor or with cars that have been boosted for years. Out of nowhere the knock counts start to go high despite conservative tuning, then an abrupt weight reduction as the internals and fluids make their exit. Very rare and unpleasant when it happens, but luck of the draw more or less.
Xero-Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Xero-Limit For This Useful Post:
maslin (06-11-2019), Tristor (08-08-2019), YamahaR86 (08-06-2019)
Old 07-30-2019, 03:02 PM   #16
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Drives: Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
lol. I laugh at people who won't do etunes... I'm tuned by HRI tuning and all he does is etuning and he's one of the best tuners in our industry. derp.
pgranberg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pgranberg11 For This Useful Post:
sroby (08-01-2019)
Old 08-08-2019, 01:42 AM   #17
Conman

Drives: Red FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm having similar experience. JDl kit, Etune with HRI... Blown engine after first 4psi 3rd gear pull... Here is the log file I did right before it started to knock.

https://datazap.me/u/conman/3rd-gear...tle-3k-redline
Conman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:31 AM   #18
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conman View Post
I'm having similar experience. JDl kit, Etune with HRI... Blown engine after first 4psi 3rd gear pull... Here is the log file I did right before it started to knock.

https://datazap.me/u/conman/3rd-gear...tle-3k-redline

That log shows manifold pressure as 23 to 24 psi, subtract the 14psi atmospheric and your running 9 to10psi. That what the log shows anyway

Everything looks fine afr is good timing is normal for boost, knock is good.

Likely just unlucky random mechanical issue
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:00 PM   #19
GrantedTaken
Banned

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
This is why we can't have nice things.
Modders gonna mod
GrantedTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 11:09 PM   #20
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgranberg11 View Post
lol. I laugh at people who won't do etunes... I'm tuned by HRI tuning and all he does is etuning and he's one of the best tuners in our industry. derp.

Yeah, but James is really good at what he does...some of these other guys... eeesh...especially if their name is Junior
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 12:44 AM   #21
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,183 Times in 1,109 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
Yeah, but James is really good at what he does...some of these other guys... eeesh...especially if their name is Junior
This whole Etune thing is cheap for a reason

It adds risk, people should add this risk into their build plan.

Risk vs reward

Me, I want vision on everything during tuning, lunching a $10k motor because I didn't want to spend $1k on dyno time just doesn't make sense to me

During a pull on a dyno if something is amiss you should know and be able to back off, rectify and then continue, I've been there and done it, alot....

On a road pull, you know when you have a issue when you put a window in your block

It amazes me that people will spend $2k on rims, or $1k on a shiny catback, but, cheap out on the most important part of the car, its tune

Point of note: here in AU we don't really see alot of the Etuning solution, we also don't see the number of engine failures that apparently happen in the US, from, if my understanding is correct, doing road pulls to get logs for Etunes

As for the people that do the editing for the Etunes, yes, they "may" be great tuners, but, they have absolutely no part in the part when you are going 100% throttle to redline on the road or track

On a dyno you slowly ramp up the RPM, monitoring all the way, thus, reducing the risk, alot..

I'm curious of what actually let go, and why

Has the engine been stripped and inspected yet?

Fuel tested?

Oil tested?

Until then the cause for the effect is unkown

But then I'm no expert

Opinions may vary
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
Tristor (08-09-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 10:34 AM   #22
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
LOL junior... yep... I already know where you're getting at.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:40 AM   #23
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86MLR View Post
This whole Etune thing is cheap for a reason

It adds risk, people should add this risk into their build plan.

Risk vs reward

Me, I want vision on everything during tuning, lunching a $10k motor because I didn't want to spend $1k on dyno time just doesn't make sense to me

During a pull on a dyno if something is amiss you should know and be able to back off, rectify and then continue, I've been there and done it, alot....

On a road pull, you know when you have a issue when you put a window in your block

It amazes me that people will spend $2k on rims, or $1k on a shiny catback, but, cheap out on the most important part of the car, its tune

Point of note: here in AU we don't really see alot of the Etuning solution, we also don't see the number of engine failures that apparently happen in the US, from, if my understanding is correct, doing road pulls to get logs for Etunes

As for the people that do the editing for the Etunes, yes, they "may" be great tuners, but, they have absolutely no part in the part when you are going 100% throttle to redline on the road or track

On a dyno you slowly ramp up the RPM, monitoring all the way, thus, reducing the risk, alot..

I'm curious of what actually let go, and why

Has the engine been stripped and inspected yet?

Fuel tested?

Oil tested?

Until then the cause for the effect is unkown

But then I'm no expert

Opinions may vary
my etune wasn't cheap at all? I paid over 600 dollars for my flex fuel forced induction tune. (although I did buy during black friday so it ended up being way cheaper).

best investment i've ever made. James @ HRI is amazing. I have over 15k+ miles on my JUNKYARD motor (stock block, pulled from a crashed twin) and it is climbing towards 50k. I have put very close to 20 track days on it and I've had zero issues. You CANNOT completely rule out ALL etunes... and I'll just leave it at that. Honestly, if my motor grenaded at my next track day, I wouldn't even be mad... I beat the living shit out of it.

And you are COMPLETELY WRONG. James @ HRI has tweaked my tunes WHILE I was at the track. It's called, go get yourself a bluetooth ecutek, do a datalog while at the track for however many sessions and send it for review. He has done this multiple times for me so clearly, you do not know your facts. Also, you don't just let it rip on an etune. James basically told me to take it easy and drive it around before 3,000 for 20 mins send him a log. Ok, push a little harder to 4-5k. Send another log. Overall I probably have sent over 15+ logs to him over the course of different temperatures and driving styles (street and track). For you to say that about etunes is just wrong.

I think you need to do yourself a favor and go talk to James at HRI.

This isn't directly to you @86MLR, but for anyone that is boosted. You go boosted, it's just a ticking time bomb. Additionally, anyone going boosted should just install the kit themselves. take their time. there are so many resources that help you do this. This is the only way to really ensure the kit is installed correctly. Conman's car came back from a recall as he posted in JDL's facebook page.. he boosted it after 5k miles after the recall and it let go. Personally, I never would have done the recall, and I never would have boosted a car after a recall was done, but that's up to the owner. My car was in for the recall and I didn't go in. Sure my 1st engine grenaded at the track, but I didn't post much other than my video and accepting the fact it was my own damn fault. I have pictures in my build thread, me tearing down my block trying to find root cause instead of letting the internet figure out the issue. When shit like this happens, the only way to learn is to just get down and dirty with it. I also don't give a damn if "I can't afford tools". BS, if you're going boosted you clearly have a few hundred more dollars to go get a few jack stands and a jack at harbor freight and some decent craftsmen tools... /endrant.

Last edited by pgranberg11; 08-09-2019 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:45 AM   #24
YamahaR86
JDM Vaping Stance Nation

Drives: 2013 White
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

This isn't directly to you @86MLR, but for anyone that is boosted. You go boosted, it's just a ticking time bomb. Additionally, anyone going boosted should just install the kit themselves. take their time. there are so many resources that help you do this. This is the only way to really ensure the kit is installed correctly. Conman's car came back from a recall as he posted in JDL's facebook page.. he boosted it after 5k miles after the recall and it let go. Personally, I never would have done the recall, and I never would have boosted a car after a recall was done, but that's up to the owner. My car was in for the recall and I didn't go in. Sure my 1st engine grenaded at the track, but I didn't post much other than my video and accepting the fact it was my own damn fault. I have pictures in my build thread, me tearing down my block trying to find root cause instead of letting the internet figure out the issue. When shit like this happens, the only way to learn is to just get down and dirty with it. I also don't give a damn if "I can't afford tools". BS, if you're going boosted you clearly have a few hundred more dollars to go get a few jack stands and a jack at harbor freight and some decent craftsmen tools... /endrant.

I'm about 6k miles after done my recall work and I'm boosting soon. I'm not going to beat on my car though and if the engine goes then it's whatever. I'll source another engine and drop it in, cheaper than getting a new car for me.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:16 PM   #25
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaR86 View Post
I'm about 6k miles after done my recall work and I'm boosting soon. I'm not going to beat on my car though and if the engine goes then it's whatever. I'll source another engine and drop it in, cheaper than getting a new car for me.
at least you understand and are well knowing of the consequences. good luck with your build!
Old 08-09-2019, 08:43 PM   #26
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,183 Times in 1,109 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
my etune wasn't cheap at all? I paid over 600 dollars for my flex fuel forced induction tune. (although I did buy during black friday so it ended up being way cheaper).

best investment i've ever made. James @ HRI is amazing. I have over 15k+ miles on my JUNKYARD motor (stock block, pulled from a crashed twin) and it is climbing towards 50k. I have put very close to 20 track days on it and I've had zero issues. You CANNOT completely rule out ALL etunes... and I'll just leave it at that. Honestly, if my motor grenaded at my next track day, I wouldn't even be mad... I beat the living shit out of it.

And you are COMPLETELY WRONG. James @ HRI has tweaked my tunes WHILE I was at the track. It's called, go get yourself a bluetooth ecutek, do a datalog while at the track for however many sessions and send it for review. He has done this multiple times for me so clearly, you do not know your facts. Also, you don't just let it rip on an etune. James basically told me to take it easy and drive it around before 3,000 for 20 mins send him a log. Ok, push a little harder to 4-5k. Send another log. Overall I probably have sent over 15+ logs to him over the course of different temperatures and driving styles (street and track). For you to say that about etunes is just wrong.

I think you need to do yourself a favor and go talk to James at HRI.

Nice, but to much risk for me.

Each to their own
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 11:18 AM   #27
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Turboing a motor at 84,000 miles just doesn't sound like a good idea to me. How was it treated during those 84k miles. It could have been run very hard and\or abused and that extra pop just put it over the edge of reliability.
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote