follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 04-20-2015, 12:01 AM   #29
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,520 Times in 18,921 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by V_86 View Post
Maybe in Canada, I've never heard of a US state that has that requirement
I guess Cali is pretty vague. Oregon says in http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/811.485

A person commits the offense of following too closely if the person does any of the following:

a - ...
b - ...
c - Drives a motor vehicle when traveling upon a roadway outside of a business or residence district or upon a freeway within the corporate limits of a city in a caravan or motorcade whether or not towing another vehicle without operating the vehicle so as to leave sufficient space between vehicles to enable a vehicle to enter and occupy the space without danger.
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 12:26 AM   #30
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Thanks for the helpful tips everyone! These, combined with the countless videos I've watched, should make the learning curve a bit easier. Now, I got to wait until my brother buys his RSX so I practice on it. I'll also look around the area for a class that teaches MT driving (as work schedule allows). Furthermore, I'll probably have to learn quick with one of the Twins since I'll be driving it from the dealership to home. xD

One last question to ask, if y'all don't mind. A few members mentioned "clutch slipping." Quick Google search came up to a Wikipedia section mentioning what it is. Won't that wear out the clutch faster compared to normal usage? Or as another member posted, don't worry about clutch conservation for now.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clutch_...ing_the_clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinK121 View Post

Also, you're a lot like me lol. You're building it up a lot in your mind. Take all the info here into consideration but the best way to figure it out is getting in a MT and learning man.

Good luck.
Yup, I like to get the theory part down first then go to the practical application part. Its how I went from zero knowledge about how computers/networks/etc. work to working in a big IT company in less than 3 years
soulreapersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 12:29 AM   #31
Atticus808

Drives: Splash Mountain
Thanked 2,337 Times in 918 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinK121 View Post
This. It's a feeling thing. You'll get it pretty quickly I'm sure

To add to the above comment, I think of the clutch and gas as a constant and equal ratio. As one goes in the other comes out. It'll take some feeling to get the balance but once you get it you'll know what I mean.

Also, you're a lot like me lol. You're building it up a lot in your mind. Take all the info here into consideration but the best way to figure it out is getting in a MT and learning man.

Good luck.
for sure a feeling thing. I really only started understanding the gas/clutch balance by moving my friends car in and out of the my garage on to a sloped driveway to detail it. you'll feel the car "squat" at the clutch engagement point.

after that I was able to just drive MT without too many issues
Atticus808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 12:32 AM   #32
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulreapersteve View Post
One last question to ask, if y'all don't mind. A few members mentioned "clutch slipping." Quick Google search came up to a Wikipedia section mentioning what it is. Won't that wear out the clutch faster compared to normal usage? Or as another member posted, don't worry about clutch conservation for now.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clutch_...ing_the_clutch
The clutch should never be used as a tool to maintain a stationary position while on a hill. Basically, the less energy you dissipate through the clutch the better.

But again, it's just a clutch. Don't abuse the piss out of it and you'll be fine.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ultramaroon For This Useful Post:
Atticus808 (04-20-2015), Teseo (04-20-2015)
Old 04-20-2015, 02:45 PM   #33
f0rge
head of infinite swagger

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Best advice is don't stress about it. You'll suck when you start and stall a bunch of times, people will honk but screw them just do your thing.

Then one day you'll be driving and realize you didn't even have to think about it.

Everyone stalls, my only vehicle for the last 6 years has been a manual and I still stall sometimes.
2013 Ultramarine FR-S 6MT - Car Journal - SOLD
2004 AlpineWhite M3 6MT - SOLD
f0rge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 03:06 PM   #34
Pkush

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by f0rge View Post
Everyone stalls, my only vehicle for the last 6 years has been a manual and I still stall sometimes.
NOOB! JK

I learned on my BRZ...stalled like 7 times on the way from the dealer. I feel bad for the clutch and it'll probably last me only 70-80k miles but oh well. I learned it and I'm proud of it.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:44 PM   #35
MokSpeed
Granny Shifter

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Thanked 1,289 Times in 711 Posts
Another tip to add to what everybody else has mentioned:

When (because it will happen at least once) you do stall while driving in traffic, don't get nervous or feel pressured by the driver behind you. Take your time, remain calm, start up the car, and ensure you get a smooth launch. This will most likely occur when you first start learning how to manage going uphill in traffic.

Last edited by MokSpeed; 04-20-2015 at 05:14 PM.
MokSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MokSpeed For This Useful Post:
Teseo (04-20-2015)
Old 04-20-2015, 04:31 PM   #36
PandaSPUR
PandaPandaPandaPandaPanda

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
What everyone else said basically.

I learned to drive manual after buying my BRZ as well.

I think my biggest mistake was when I slowed to a crawl after cruising at normal speeds. I was still in 6th gear and forgot to downshift after slowing to <5MPH, car started shaking, lights started to flicker lol.

I've also stalled on a highway before (in traffic). Like everyone else said, dont panic, forget the guy behind you, just start the car up and roll on. I dont think I even got honked at that time... the person behind me was probably not even paying enough attention to notice.

Clutch slipping is to be expected when you first start because you're not used to how your clutch works yet. Eventually you'll know exactly where the engagement point starts and ends by muscle memory and you'll be in the clutch slipping zone much less.
PandaSPUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 04:52 PM   #37
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

For all those that have been driving stick since childhood, would you say you stalled the 86 like a noob driver when you first started driving it?
The Following User Says Thank You to Ultramaroon For This Useful Post:
SR5 (04-21-2015)
Old 04-20-2015, 05:09 PM   #38
MokSpeed
Granny Shifter

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Thanked 1,289 Times in 711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
For all those that have been driving stick since childhood, would you say you stalled the 86 like a noob driver when you first started driving it?
The spring-assisted pedal definitely threw me off.
MokSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MokSpeed For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (04-20-2015)
Old 04-20-2015, 05:40 PM   #39
KevinK121
Miata traitor

Drives: 2002 Miata SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
No issues on the test drive I took lol
KevinK121 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KevinK121 For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (04-20-2015)
Old 04-20-2015, 06:21 PM   #40
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MokSpeed View Post
Another tip to add to what everybody else has mentioned:

When (because it will happen at least once) you do stall while driving in traffic, don't get nervous or feel pressured by the driver behind you. Take your time, remain calm, start up the car, and ensure you get a smooth launch. This will most likely occur when you first start learning how to manage going uphill in traffic.
That's why I'm not going to be hitting hills when I get the car; I even avoid hills if at all possible in the current car that I have! Just to save gas...

/CheapAsian

Anyways, I know I'll have to encounter a hill living in Seattle so guess I got to start some time haha
soulreapersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:15 PM   #41
PandaSPUR
PandaPandaPandaPandaPanda

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
The worst part about hills is that everyone in freaking america is used to driving automatics, so no one realizes they should give you some space on a hill.

If I'm on a hill and the person behind me is really close, I usually wait a second for the person in front to leave so I have ample space to gun it and avoid rolling back as much as i can. This gets easier as your muscle memory for the engagement point gets better.
PandaSPUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:19 PM   #42
roddy

Drives: '13 Ultramarine
Thanked 1,165 Times in 685 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:

Yep, guilty. I found the engagement point a little high and hard to get used to. This DIY helped a lot with that...
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8040
SR5 (04-21-2015), Ultramaroon (04-20-2015)

Tags
tight