follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 07-13-2013, 05:58 PM   #1
WolfSongX

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited SWP
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Koni Install Issue

Hopefully I have the right part number, but I'm doing a rear strut install with Koni struts and RCE yellows, but the shaft of the Koni is thicker than the OEM shaft. Unfortunately the hole in my rear strut top is too narrow for the threaded portion of the Koni shaft.
Anyone run into this before?
If I need to drill out the hole in the top mount, what size drill bit.
Part # on box is 8041 1416SPORT

I've bought another set of suspension, so the top mounts I'm using are from a FR-S and my car is still together, so I'm not stuck, but I'm getting a bit frustrated.

2013 BRZ Limited SWP
Professional driver in search of closed course..
WolfSongX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:36 PM   #2
FastLane1000

Drives: White FR-S, 6M
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Yeah, you got to drill it. I'm not sure of the size just match the bit up with Koni threads. I'm not sure on the part numbers but I remember having to drill.
FastLane1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:44 PM   #3
feldy

Drives: 2013 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
just checked for you. same part number as mine. We didnt have to drill anything. Also on konis with RCE yellow springs. Ill go take a pic

Scratch that Im a big fat liar. I just got confirmation that the top hats were in fact drilled. I was away taking the fronts apart. Sorry for any confusion. I believe this is described in the instructions no?

Last edited by feldy; 07-13-2013 at 07:14 PM. Reason: big fat liar
feldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
WolfSongX

Garage
Thanks guys, I didn't see anything in the instructions, but the Koni instructions can be a little confusing. I'll look at them again just in case I missed it. I'll just try stepping up one drill bit size until it clears.

Also on the rears, the RCE bumpstops don't fit over the spacer that is welded below the threads either, so I wound up using the OEM bumpstop cut down to the same size. I also reused the OEM gaiter as well since the OEM bumpstop wasn't wide enough to hold the RCE gaiter in position.

The fronts went together easily in comparison...

I've been taking a lot of pics and notes to post a DIY on the conversion...
Any more feedback/suggestions are very welcome.

2013 BRZ Limited SWP

Last edited by WolfSongX; 07-13-2013 at 07:27 PM. Reason: changing response when feldy confirmed drilling was needed
Old 07-13-2013, 08:32 PM   #5
WolfSongX

Garage
Well I had a 7/16ths and a 1/2" bit... and 7/16ths is not quite enough and the 1/2 is maybe a bit too much. I hate not having a set of metric drill bits.
I'm waiting for the paint to dry and will try again a bit later or tomorrow depending on how I feel.

2013 BRZ Limited SWP
Old 07-13-2013, 10:11 PM   #6
SVThis

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Use a 12mm drill bit per instructions
SVThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:06 AM   #7
WolfSongX

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVThis View Post
Use a 12mm drill bit per instructions
I must be missing a sheet then, there was no reference to drilling in the instructions I received with the struts from Koni.

2013 BRZ Limited SWP
Old 07-16-2013, 06:08 PM   #8
JRP

Drives: 2013 Perl White FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfSongX View Post
I must be missing a sheet then, there was no reference to drilling in the instructions I received with the struts from Koni.
The 12mm is the size hole you need to drill in the bottom of the strut body for the bolt that holds the damper in place. I just took a round file and carefully opened the hole until the top of the damper fit.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:09 PM   #9
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Also on the rears, the RCE bumpstops don't fit over the spacer that is welded below the threads either, so I wound up using the OEM bumpstop cut down to the same size. I also reused the OEM gaiter as well since the OEM bumpstop wasn't wide enough to hold the RCE gaiter in position.
Girly man arms? It don't look like it fit, but you can muscle the bumpstop over it (I did). Watch out though, don't want to cut yourself on that slag-welded POS.

I used a 1/2" drill bit for the rear top hats...fits fine. Not many people on this side of the pond have metric drill bit sizes or tradesman's assortment of bits.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:51 AM   #10
rikdrt1
Hypnotic FRS Member

Drives: FR-S [Raven]
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLane1000 View Post
Yeah, you got to drill it. I'm not sure of the size just match the bit up with Koni threads. I'm not sure on the part numbers but I remember having to drill.
that scares me already... don't like drilling something that will affect OEM if I ever go back..
?
rikdrt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:12 AM   #11
Sccabrz192
Detroit Region, MI

Drives: 13 BRZ, 13 Volt, 02 WRX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikdrt1 View Post
that scares me already... don't like drilling something that will affect OEM if I ever go back..
?
New top mounts should be relatively cheap... significantly cheaper than buying completely new front struts since you just gutted those for the front inserts.

In all, its a 2mm ID delta, you can always use a spacer/washer if you are that worried about it not being centered or if you are worried about the interfacing area being insufficient for the load when you go back. The rear damper doesn't play into the alignment of the rear wheel, so that tiny fraction of a degree of change you would get from +/- 1mm in each direction will be insignificant.

I'm not sure why exactly you would ever want to go back to OE dampers... Koni yellows shouldn't be considered a performance modification in terms of a warranty, if that is what you are concerned about. They are basically an OE replacement damper, using very typical OE replacement damper installation methods.
2005-06: #192 ES 91 MR2 N/A Hardtop
2007-08: #54 STX 05 WRX Sedan
2009-12: #92 BSP/ASP 07 Solstice GXP
2013-14 : #192 CS 13 Subaru BRZ
Sccabrz192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:49 PM   #12
WolfSongX

Garage
I took a ton of pics with doing this conversion and finally got them on the car. I didn't document the install/removal because that's been done a few times already. Hopefully my ancient computer will behave and work (I use a tablet from home now and I'm not allowed to use my work computer for image editing/uploading.) so I can get the images processed and uploaded.

I still need to get the alignment done, so I haven't had a chance to really test things out or play with the adjustable settings on the strut. I'm running the struts on full soft at the moment, but the most noticeable thing is how smooth the weight transitions are with this car now... and stock it wasn't a slouch, so that's saying a lot.

I wouldn't say that you give up a lot of comfort, but the car feels noticeably lower now and very solidly planted. Win-Win in my book.

2013 BRZ Limited SWP
Old 07-22-2013, 08:41 PM   #13
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
I wouldn't say that you give up a lot of comfort, but the car feels noticeably lower now and very solidly planted.
Heh, turn it up to 2 turns from soft and see how you like that. At full soft they DO ride better than the OEM setup, though.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:17 PM   #14
raul
Lap time enthusiast

Drives: Asphalt '13 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
Heh, turn it up to 2 turns from soft and see how you like that. At full soft they DO ride better than the OEM setup, though.
Bouncy as bananas though.
raul is offline   Reply With Quote