follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northwest

Northwest AK, ID, OR, WA

User Tag List

Old 04-11-2013, 04:41 PM   #15
motofan

Drives: 10 VW GTI
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iketeru View Post
before I got my FR-S I was looking at Silverline's inventory, because they always had the cheapest prices in the area for used WRX/STI listings. as you're already finding out, it's because 99% of the cars are reconstructed, and I didn't want that on my title in case I decided to sell later.

a quick google search of the VIN shows what kind of damage the car had before, looks like the whole front bumper got ripped off + airbag went off.
http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us

still considering it?
Thanks, I should have done that! Quite a bit of frame damage!! It's interesting that when it was wrecked it was on stock wheel rims and tail lights but now...
motofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:43 PM   #16
iketeru

Drives: Whiteout 6MT FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by motofan View Post
Thanks, I should have done that! Quite a bit of frame damage!! It's interesting that when it was wrecked it was on stock wheel rims but now...
yep.. luckily for buyers a lot of these reconstructed vehicles are auctioned off online, so it's pretty easy to see what happened. even scarier is the fact that this isn't the worst I've seen from Silverline's offerings..

good catch on the rims, guess they're going for some eyecandy
iketeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:53 PM   #17
jstn

Drives: '15 Vortech Supercharged
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I wouldn't buy it for a DD. Assuming it isn't too horribly damaged though it would be a hell of a deal for someone looking to turn it into a track car I guess.
jstn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jstn For This Useful Post:
31katys (04-12-2013)
Old 04-11-2013, 05:14 PM   #18
m.box.design

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Thanked 1,662 Times in 933 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockysnail View Post
I bought a salvaged vehicle once. The price is what got me to buy it but later down the road I realized when it rained the trunk filled with water. Even after I replaced the trunk lid seal, it still filled with water. Moral of the story, salvaged cars are like a box of chocolates you find in a dumpster, never know what you're gonna get (of if they are even edible).
my mom's civic got rear ended once, it didn't even look that bad. got a new bumper and it was all good again. but after that, the trunk started leaking rain and the spare tire well would fill up with water to the point where braking meant flooding the rear seat with rain water -> wet -> moldy.

i wouldn't trust a reconstructed car, especially this specific brz. pretty sure many things are bent out of alignment.
m.box.design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:43 AM   #19
31katys

Drives: whiteout mt fr-s
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesign View Post
my mom's civic got rear ended once, it didn't even look that bad. got a new bumper and it was all good again. but after that, the trunk started leaking rain and the spare tire well would fill up with water to the point where braking meant flooding the rear seat with rain water -> wet -> moldy.

i wouldn't trust a reconstructed car, especially this specific brz. pretty sure many things are bent out of alignment.
Hondas are notorious for leaky trunks as it is. My integra leaked and it has never been wrecked. My parents have a 97 accord that's been rear ended twice and it has no leaking issues.

I would never buy a car with a rebuilt title. Some insurance companies won't even cover them and since you dont know the extend of the damage or the repair, you really don't know what you're getting yourself into. I was under the understanding that a rebuilt title means that the vehicle was deemed a total loss by the insurance company (which generally means damage is above 70% cost of vehicle) so we're talking extensive. Just spend the extra $5k and buy a new one. Or wait a year and buy a used one when the prices come down.

Does anyone know if Toyota will warranty a vehicle with a salvaged title??
31katys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:49 AM   #20
BrzRacer

Drives: SWP BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
show me the carfax

My life car list;(*-* still have)
87Chevy Celebrity Wagon,92Prelude,99Camry,04Accord,06Jeep Commander,89CRX HF,90CRX Si(B16),01BMW Z3,
03BMW 525i,*Chevy Malibu Wagon*,*13Subaru BRZ *

Last edited by BrzRacer; 04-13-2013 at 05:57 PM.
BrzRacer is offline   Reply With Quote