follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 07-05-2018, 06:36 PM   #43
NARFALICIOUS

Drives: '88 Supra 1JZ, '16 FR-S, '23 GR86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Preface, haven't driven the newer GTI:

While I'm sure the GTI would be fun to drive, a lot of cars are, I prefer to stick with the formula I like:
- Lightweight
- RWD
- 2 doors
- Manual Trans

Creature comforts and "more vehicle for the $$" isn't as important. Of course I have a budget, sure. But seats, tech, comfort, dash materials, interior colors, etc are not weighing on my decision. There could be other vehicles in the mid-$20k range that could have offered more in this sense.

On another note, I have owned a VW before. Much like you are weary of the reliability now after your incident, I find things engineered by Toyota or Subaru in general to be far more reliable than VW.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...they-stack-up/

NARFALICIOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:49 PM   #44
Ganthrithor

Drives: '13 BRZ, '06 997, Other Things(TM)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Man, every once in a while an 86 might break and require a $7k new engine, but a GTI is gonna cost you that much over a few years in replacement engine sensors :P
Ganthrithor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ganthrithor For This Useful Post:
JDM4E (07-24-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 07:53 PM   #45
atomicalex

Drives: 2018 BRZ Limited Perf Pack
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganthrithor View Post
Man, every once in a while an 86 might break and require a $7k new engine, but a GTI is gonna cost you that much over a few years in replacement engine sensors :P
I've been vdubs for 25 years. This is likely true.

Old 08-19-2018, 06:06 PM   #46
mrybczyn

Drives: Miata
I've driven, but not owned both, and keep surfing the ft86 forum...

The gti is a grocery getter with enough engine to overwhelm the chassis.

The twins are a sweet balanced sports car. No comparison.
mrybczyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 02:32 AM   #47
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,452 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
I drove the new GTI SE in the 6sp. Great car but as others have said I rather have a twin. RWD, light weight, and just a ton of fun. Add a few mods and the car really comes alive. I would also recommend find a used twin. You can save alot of money. Just gotta look around.
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 05:18 AM   #48
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
When the twins were first introduced the difference with the GTI wasn't really big. The GTI engine had 209PS and more torque, but the weight to power ratio was better for our cars. The things changed radically after some years with the engine revisions of the GTI and the addition of new models. Check the engine output increases below:

220PS GTI
230PS GTI Performance
245PS GTI Performance +'17
265PS GTI Clubsport
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 05:35 PM   #49
mrderp
ಠ_ಠ

Drives: 860 SansOverspray
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
220PS GTI
230PS GTI Performance
245PS GTI Performance +'17
265PS GTI Clubsport
And then you tune the ECU and reach 300hp on pump without changing anything else.
mrderp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrderp For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (08-20-2018)
Old 09-01-2018, 07:46 PM   #50
meadowz06
THE CORVETTE KING!

Drives: 2013 FR-S, and 2016 FR-S!
The GTI is a piece of shit, like every other Volkswagen. Seriously, they are garbage cars.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:14 PM   #51
sskylinespeed_mk6

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by meadowz06 View Post
The GTI is a piece of shit, like every other Volkswagen. Seriously, they are garbage cars.
A tuned mk7 gti is far from a piece of shit lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
sskylinespeed_mk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 08:00 PM   #52
Go Frogs

Drives: '19 WRX Base in Lapis Blue
Garage
I read this entire thread, because in a way, it is me. After test driving an '18 BRZ Limited (in WR Blue no less), it is making me rethink what the #1 car on my "next car list" should be. I really like driving and the BRZ delivered. This car will be my daily driver in SW Ohio to include the possibility of snow/ice like recently. (How good is it at being exposed to salt?)

I currently drive an '04 GTI (Mk4 1.8t flavor) and because of my virtually flawless 14 year & 130K mile ownership experience with it, I thought a current Golf Sport Wagon-S w/4motion or Alltrack-S [all w/3 pedals] was my hands-down next go-to "dad-mobile". A GTI-S was a very close second; but wagon wins for being able to put more junk/bodies in the back, plus wagens are cool, like bow ties.

I really wanted a GSW TDI 6spd, but we all know how that went down.

My price cap is $30k.

The GSWs/Alltracks can be had for under this amount; same for the GTI-S. Another reason for choosing (sticking with) a VW product is the profuse aftermarket surrounding that brand, so any "shortcoming" in the car could be remedied w/any number of aftermarket pieces/parts that are out there...nothing wild, just along the OEM+ flavor.

However, the test drive in the '18 BRZ really opened my eyes. Granted, the BRZ is not w/o its faults and the biggest one, for me anyway, is the fact that the driver (front) seat(s) don't return to their original driving position after being flipped forward after letting someone in the back. My 14yo 2-door '04 GTI does this, so why not the BRZ/86? My 7yo son would need to ride in the back occasionally as the wife can't always pick him up from school or shuttle him around to other various engagement; thus the gripe about the seat action...I guess it won't be too much of an issue...

I am an undertall person and can actually sit behind the driver seat when it is in my driving position (I can also sit in the back seat and not hit my head on the glass). My son would have enough room in the back so I think that he would be fine.

So now the BIG question is -- stick with VW, a brand I am familiar with in both feel and functionality and I see myself as a hatch/wagon guy...or...jump ship and plant my derriere in a Subaru that can add a bit more spice to the daily commute if I choose not to take the highway to/from work. The trunk is big enough for what I haul (I just like the hatch flexibility) and it would seldom see more than 1 person. i haven't had a RWD car since the '72 Datsun 510 wagen I drove in HS or the hand-me-down '80 Volvo 244 GL [crank sunroof FTW] I drove later in HS.

I know comparing a pedestrian FWD/AWD hatch/wagen to a RWD sports car is not normal, but that is what I'm doing. Each car wins in different categories. The VWs offer 4 doors and larger trunk space, but the BRZ pushes most of the sensible, tangible features aside for more intangible ones, like the ones that release endorphins and other things that bring joy and happiness. I can drive all of the cars stock, but I believe I would enjoy the BRZ the most, even in its stock form.

Our other go-to roadtrip, haul-the-kid-around, grocery-getter car is a CX-5 so space isn't an issue, just towing a trailer.

First world problems, I know, but this is a very real world comparison. And now, the Veloster-N adds one more variable to this equation.

Cheers.

Dear SoA, what petition do I need to sign to bring the LeVorg 2.0t 6spd to North America?
Go Frogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 08:45 PM   #53
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Frogs View Post
I read this entire thread, because in a way, it is me. After test driving an '18 BRZ Limited (in WR Blue no less), it is making me rethink what the #1 car on my "next car list" should be. I really like driving and the BRZ delivered. This car will be my daily driver in SW Ohio to include the possibility of snow/ice like recently. (How good is it at being exposed to salt?)

I currently drive an '04 GTI (Mk4 1.8t flavor) and because of my virtually flawless 14 year & 130K mile ownership experience with it, I thought a current Golf Sport Wagon-S w/4motion or Alltrack-S [all w/3 pedals] was my hands-down next go-to "dad-mobile". A GTI-S was a very close second; but wagon wins for being able to put more junk/bodies in the back, plus wagens are cool, like bow ties.

I really wanted a GSW TDI 6spd, but we all know how that went down.

My price cap is $30k.

The GSWs/Alltracks can be had for under this amount; same for the GTI-S. Another reason for choosing (sticking with) a VW product is the profuse aftermarket surrounding that brand, so any "shortcoming" in the car could be remedied w/any number of aftermarket pieces/parts that are out there...nothing wild, just along the OEM+ flavor.

However, the test drive in the '18 BRZ really opened my eyes. Granted, the BRZ is not w/o its faults and the biggest one, for me anyway, is the fact that the driver (front) seat(s) don't return to their original driving position after being flipped forward after letting someone in the back. My 14yo 2-door '04 GTI does this, so why not the BRZ/86? My 7yo son would need to ride in the back occasionally as the wife can't always pick him up from school or shuttle him around to other various engagement; thus the gripe about the seat action...I guess it won't be too much of an issue...

I am an undertall person and can actually sit behind the driver seat when it is in my driving position (I can also sit in the back seat and not hit my head on the glass). My son would have enough room in the back so I think that he would be fine.

So now the BIG question is -- stick with VW, a brand I am familiar with in both feel and functionality and I see myself as a hatch/wagon guy...or...jump ship and plant my derriere in a Subaru that can add a bit more spice to the daily commute if I choose not to take the highway to/from work. The trunk is big enough for what I haul (I just like the hatch flexibility) and it would seldom see more than 1 person. i haven't had a RWD car since the '72 Datsun 510 wagen I drove in HS or the hand-me-down '80 Volvo 244 GL [crank sunroof FTW] I drove later in HS.

I know comparing a pedestrian FWD/AWD hatch/wagen to a RWD sports car is not normal, but that is what I'm doing. Each car wins in different categories. The VWs offer 4 doors and larger trunk space, but the BRZ pushes most of the sensible, tangible features aside for more intangible ones, like the ones that release endorphins and other things that bring joy and happiness. I can drive all of the cars stock, but I believe I would enjoy the BRZ the most, even in its stock form.

Our other go-to roadtrip, haul-the-kid-around, grocery-getter car is a CX-5 so space isn't an issue, just towing a trailer.

First world problems, I know, but this is a very real world comparison. And now, the Veloster-N adds one more variable to this equation.

Cheers.
Like fezes
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 07:01 PM   #54
Go Frogs

Drives: '19 WRX Base in Lapis Blue
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86MLR View Post
Like fezzes
Yes, and fezzes too.

I've read the other BRZ/86 vs 'other cars' threads too. Very interesting reads.

I don't have to be the fastest on the street or the track. I just have to enjoy driving the car.

Cars are different things to different people. For instance, my Dad is a Beige Camry guy...no really, he has two Beige Camryies, an '08 and '12 and they are used as appliances - driven, serviced, and seldom washed.

Since I don't go through cars like facial tissue, the next car I choose is going to have to be it, THE CAR, for the next 7-10 years (at a minimum). Each car I have picked out, among the various brands - VW, Subaru, Mazda, Hyundai, is a depreciating asset, so why not try to hang on to it for as long as possible, plus it is in my best financial interest to do so.

The only one thing that my next car must have is a manual transmission. I will do my part to #savethemanuals buy purchasing one manual car. I could buy used, but I don't trust the used car market - dealer/private seller, it doesn't matter.

My next car WILL NOT be a CUV.

Dear SoA, what petition do I need to sign to bring the LeVorg 2.0t 6spd to North America?
Go Frogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:30 AM   #55
james354we

Drives: Scion FR-S 2016
BRZ/FRS looks definitely better than GTI. And I guess parts for GTI will cost higher
james354we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:55 PM   #56
Bluefire98

Drives: 2015 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I haven't driven one, but a friend of mine took me for a spin in his mk6 with a dct. Nice practical fun car. But what I found odd was just how "ok" the interior was. Considering how much hype these cars get for their interior, I was actually a bit disappointed. Maybe the mk7 is that much better?
Bluefire98 is offline   Reply With Quote