follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 02-13-2018, 06:40 PM   #57
MRCA1ST

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dowroa View Post
Which 'vette? c5z06 is 3118lbs, and race weight it is close to the BRZ (depending on class restrictions).

^^^This.

The C6Z is not comparable to the BRZ, with its power, weight and overall size it is in a different league than even it's predecessor.

the C5Z is still not apples to apples with the BRZ (heavier, no back seats, etc) but it is not that far off either. And IIRC that 3118lb weight is a bit higher than the actual weights owners reported which tended to be closer to 3050 with 1/4 tank of gas.

If you are in the market for a BRZ and do not need back seats, I would give the C5Z a hard look. I went from having a DD and a C5Z to the BRZ just because I was tired of maintaining 4 cars, and I needed a back seat to run the kids around in a pinch. If I didn't need those back seats I would still have the Z06 for sure.

The BRZ is definitely cheaper to operate, but the Z06 isn't the end of the world depending on how many miles you are putting on it. Rear tires don't last long, and unless you are cruising @ 65mph on the highway all the time it can be a bit thirsty. As far as not being able to drive it to it's potential...it does get annoying, but it also depends on where you live and your level of access to tracks or empty back roads.

Last edited by MRCA1ST; 02-13-2018 at 07:17 PM.
MRCA1ST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MRCA1ST For This Useful Post:
dowroa (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 07:11 PM   #58
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2005 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I think what most people forget is that the BRZ has never been about numbers.

0-60 it loses
track it loses to other similar more powerful vehicles
creature comforts it loses

But i never believed thats why this car was made. The car was made with the driver experience in mind. Every single commercial talks about the "feeling" of the drive. Every review talks about how much fun this car is and how it makes them feel.

You dont need 400+ whp in order for your car to make you FEEL. I've owned a Eclipse GST (300 whp), Honda S2000, Fiesta ST, Focus ST, and have driven quite frequently my ex-girlfriends ND Miata and before that my other ex-girlfriends V6 Mustang. All are "quicker" or "more luxurious" than the BRZ in almost every way. And yet, i cannot get over the feeling the BRZ gives me when i drive.

You goddamn right its slower, but my god, it just feels so damn good. And that is what this car is all about.

Not saying they arnt beastly around the track. A lot of my friends track them regularly and are really good. I'm just saying this car seemed like it was designed with "joy" in mind. Subaru knew they werent going to hit any records.

It's a throwback to the cars from the 90s. They were all in this price range (relatively) and all have around the same performance in numbers (with the exception of a few).
2016 Limited MT WR Blue BRZ | Delicious Flash n Go Tune | Delicious Flex Fuel Kit | Nameless 2.5" with 5" Mufflers | JDL UEL Headers | Bayson R Diffuser/Side Skirts | APR Front Splitter | VIS Racing GT Wing | ST Suspension Coilovers | Grammlights Rays 57CR 17x9 +38 | Sumitomo HTR Z iii 235/45/17 |
Xxyion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Xxyion For This Useful Post:
Brzandt (02-13-2018), joro2 (02-15-2018), Subsonic (02-13-2018), Vic4uf (02-16-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 07:41 PM   #59
Brzandt

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxyion View Post

0-60 it loses
track it loses to other similar more powerful vehicles
creature comforts it loses

But i never believed thats why this car was made. The car was made with the driver experience in mind. Every single commercial talks about the "feeling" of the drive. Every review talks about how much fun this car is and how it makes them feel.

You dont need 400+ whp in order for your car to make you FEEL. I've owned a Eclipse GST (300 whp), Honda S2000, Fiesta ST, Focus ST, and have driven quite frequently my ex-girlfriends ND Miata and before that my other ex-girlfriends V6 Mustang. All are "quicker" or "more luxurious" than the BRZ in almost every way. And yet, i cannot get over the feeling the BRZ gives me when i drive.

You goddamn right its slower, but my god, it just feels so damn good. And that is what this car is all about.

Not saying they arnt beastly around the track. A lot of my friends track them regularly and are really good. I'm just saying this car seemed like it was designed with "joy" in mind. Subaru knew they werent going to hit any records.

It's a throwback to the cars from the 90s. They were all in this price range (relatively) and all have around the same performance in numbers (with the exception of a few).
Someone still gets it. It’s a beautiful balance of just enough.
BRZ Brings Right to Zen
Brzandt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brzandt For This Useful Post:
joro2 (02-15-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 08:04 PM   #60
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,051 Times in 8,326 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Haha this reminds me of when I was brought to Media Press to drive FR-S. FT-86 Project CE Tada-san was there answering questions before we were able to drive them. At the meeting 99% of the question from the journalist & other car media company were all bout numbers this and numbers that. All the answer he gave didn't satisfied them. Because on the paper, it's not great. After the meeting we had a chance to drive both in street and track, not one of them talked about "numbers", but discussed more about "feel". Because 99% of them find out that, this car isn't about number.

...but again, not everyone buy & drive this car just for "feel", which is understandable. Only handful of enthuse/fans will understand that "feel" instead of numbers on the paper.

Last edited by ichitaka05; 02-13-2018 at 08:20 PM.
ichitaka05 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ichitaka05 For This Useful Post:
Williampreza (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 08:21 PM   #61
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brzandt View Post
Someone still gets it. It’s a beautiful balance of just enough.
BRZ Brings Right to Zen
I actually made the mistake of thinking i wanted more power in the shape of a supercharger. I rushed into it thinking it would be awesome. It actually made the car less fun to drive for me. Less because of the speed and more because it changed the feeling of how the car felt when i drove it. A big part of me knows it was the kit itself and didnt really lend itself to my driving style. I've since then only done mods to improve what i already love about the car.
2016 Limited MT WR Blue BRZ | Delicious Flash n Go Tune | Delicious Flex Fuel Kit | Nameless 2.5" with 5" Mufflers | JDL UEL Headers | Bayson R Diffuser/Side Skirts | APR Front Splitter | VIS Racing GT Wing | ST Suspension Coilovers | Grammlights Rays 57CR 17x9 +38 | Sumitomo HTR Z iii 235/45/17 |
Old 02-13-2018, 08:25 PM   #62
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Heh, remember when I tried to talk you out of going FI and you didn't listen?

Quote:
I actually made the mistake of thinking i wanted more power in the shape of a supercharger. I rushed into it thinking it would be awesome. It actually made the car less fun to drive for me. Less because of the speed and more because it changed the feeling of how the car felt when i drove it. A big part of me knows it was the kit itself and didnt really lend itself to my driving style. I've since then only done mods to improve what i already love about the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:34 PM   #63
Brzandt

Quote:
I’ve been considering fi. I’m On E85, ofh/oft, few intake mods. I feel like I want more power in certain situations but then I hit those special back roads and couldn’t love this car more. I’m not sure what to do. I’d hate to ruin what I love about the car. I’m just going to take my time deciding.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:41 PM   #64
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
Heh, remember when I tried to talk you out of going FI and you didn't listen?
FI for me i think is fine, but my choice of kit was the issue. I'm a little too picky on how my car feels that extra vibrations tend to irk me the wrong way. Definitely more of a turbo kind of guy, i've always had turbo's for boosted cars. So this was my first Supercharger. That was my mistake.

On the flip side though, you were still right haha. Right now running E85 and no real plans to add more power. It feels great as it is.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:43 PM   #65
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brzandt View Post
I’ve been considering fi. I’m On E85, ofh/oft, few intake mods. I feel like I want more power in certain situations but then I hit those special back roads and couldn’t love this car more. I’m not sure what to do. I’d hate to ruin what I love about the car. I’m just going to take my time deciding.
i'd try a custom tune rather than the OTS tunes from OFT. Maybe even a custom tune from Shiv so you dont have to shell out a ton of money. I'm currently custom tuned by Delicious and it is a HUGE difference over OFT in my opinion. Only reason i went to Delicious is because i had an Edelbrock Supercharger for a small bit. Which OFT doesnt support. But try that first (should only be 250$ through shiv) and see how you like a custom tune before dropping a few thousand on a kit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Xxyion For This Useful Post:
Brzandt (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 08:48 PM   #66
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Do you have the Delicious FlexFuel setup where it dynamically manages the E% and corresponds to the EcuTeK tune?

Quote:
FI for me i think is fine, but my choice of kit was the issue. I'm a little too picky on how my car feels that extra vibrations tend to irk me the wrong way. Definitely more of a turbo kind of guy, i've always had turbo's for boosted cars. So this was my first Supercharger. That was my mistake.

On the flip side though, you were still right haha. Right now running E85 and no real plans to add more power. It feels great as it is.

Quote:
I'm old and lazy
Old 02-13-2018, 08:51 PM   #67
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
Do you have the Delicious FlexFuel setup where it dynamically manages the E% and corresponds to the EcuTeK tune?
yeah, it was just installed two weekends ago and was at Neals for tuning (i dont have my own ECUtek cables so i borrow his).
The Following User Says Thank You to Xxyion For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 09:03 PM   #68
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Oh man, that is the very last mod I want to do to my car!!! I might have to PM you for more info!

Quote:
yeah, it was just installed two weekends ago and was at Neals for tuning (i dont have my own ECUtek cables so i borrow his).

Quote:
I'm old and lazy
Old 02-13-2018, 09:16 PM   #69
Brzandt

Quote:
i'd try a custom tune rather than the OTS tunes from OFT. Maybe even a custom tune from Shiv so you dont have to shell out a ton of money. I'm currently custom tuned by Delicious and it is a HUGE difference over OFT in my opinion. Only reason i went to Delicious is because i had an Edelbrock Supercharger for a small bit. Which OFT doesnt support. But try that first (should only be 250$ through shiv) and see how you like a custom tune before dropping a few thousand on a kit.
Thanks. That’s some solid advice. I wasn’t sure if the gains would be worth it. I’m waiting on an over pipe and resonated front pipe. I’ll see how they feel then maybe do some custom tuning.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:39 PM   #70
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
its weird how people use balance to defend the fact that the car is slow. is it more balanced than a corvette? maybe. s2000 or even more an elise? not from my experiences. yet those cars are much faster. dont get me wrong, its good because it is a well balanced, fun car. the thing is that it is still slow. dont believe me? half the people defending this point have spent thousands on trying to make it faster.