follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Jacks Transmissions
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Subaru BRZ > Subaru BRZ General Forum

Subaru BRZ General Forum All discussions about the Subaru BRZ coupe


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-15-2016, 08:55 PM   #1
CelicaJoe
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Drives: 2000 Celica GTS
Location: Florida
Posts: 87
Thanks: 38
Thanked 81 Times in 32 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
This car is impossible to find

If any of you have ever watched the office, and remember when they had to make a commercial for Dunder Mifflin and it stars out with a man walking up and down the aisles waving his hand at salesmen trying to catch someone's att still, that's how I feel trying to buy this car. Every single time I find the right one (three times now) it's sold before they could take the ad down or sold the next day after I inquired. I've finally saved up enough, after nearly 2 years of being obsessed with this car. I thought that was going to be the hard part, I never though finding one to buy would be this tough.
I've narrowed what I want down to a limited brz, either white, wrb, or gbs. Aiming for less than 20k but can afford up to 22 if it was worth it. And I'm searching in a 500 mile radius of where I live and still have difficulty finding one!
I have to say, though. Somehow this makes me love the car even more, just one more irritating step that'll make me appreciate it that much more when I finally do buy it.

I test drove a new one a couple weeks back because I had only driven an automatic last year, and I had planned on looking at other cars but that test drive sold me 100%. There might be a better car out there but I honestly don't care to find it.
CelicaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CelicaJoe For This Useful Post:
soulreapersteve (05-15-2016), Tcoat (05-15-2016), Ultramaroon (05-15-2016)
Old 05-15-2016, 09:11 PM   #2
ryoma
Senior Member
 
ryoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,562
Thanks: 34
Thanked 665 Times in 466 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
take a gander at the cars for sale section on our forums every now and then. GL to you in your search
__________________
ryoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:12 PM   #3
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 14 FRS Hot Lava
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 49,054
Thanks: 43,935
Thanked 67,227 Times in 30,491 Posts
Mentioned: 1821 Post(s)
Tagged: 49 Thread(s)
Holy crap!
I read that and thought "how hard can it be to find a used BRZ in Florida?".
Then I checked Autotrader. Two or three used ones in each major city.
That's nuts.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
CelicaJoe (05-16-2016), nickmerronesucks (05-16-2016)
Old 05-15-2016, 09:12 PM   #4
rookie
Senior Member
 
rookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Drives: 1991 Formula Red NSX
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 484
Thanks: 271
Thanked 428 Times in 209 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My buying experience is similar and I know exactly what you're going through. A couple times the private seller I found either flaked on me or was slow to respond though I made it clear I was ready to buy. I'm glad things worked out the way they did otherwise I would've settled for a lesser 86 and I wouldn't have been 100% satisfied.

Be patient, it'll be worth it!
rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rookie For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-15-2016)
Old 05-15-2016, 09:16 PM   #5
tommewin
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Drives: '15 BRZ
Location: Houston,TX
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
On cars.com you can set alerts so that you get an email if a listing gets created that meets your criteria.
tommewin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tommewin For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-15-2016)
Old 05-15-2016, 09:16 PM   #6
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 14 FRS Hot Lava
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 49,054
Thanks: 43,935
Thanked 67,227 Times in 30,491 Posts
Mentioned: 1821 Post(s)
Tagged: 49 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie View Post
My buying experience is similar and I know exactly what you're going through. A couple times the private seller I found either flaked on me or was slow to respond though I made it clear I was ready to buy. I'm glad things worked out the way they did otherwise I would've settled for a lesser 86 and I wouldn't have been 100% satisfied.

Be patient, it'll be worth it!
I can understand them being hardtop find for you.

Wisconsin!

I would think you would be tripping over the damn things in Florida.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:41 PM   #7
iggy
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ Limited 6MT
Location: Philly, PA
Posts: 62
Thanks: 18
Thanked 23 Times in 15 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
You're looking for a very desirable combination and they go FAST.

I should know....I just bought one that meets your criteria that had been for sale less than a week.

My advice: be patient and have your financing (if you are financing it) in order so you can jump as soon as you find the right car.

Best of luck in your search!
iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 11:11 PM   #8
rookie
Senior Member
 
rookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Drives: 1991 Formula Red NSX
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 484
Thanks: 271
Thanked 428 Times in 209 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I did end up driving 7 hours to pick up my used BRZ with under 500 miles so be patient and you'll be happy you did.

Also if there is a Carmax in your area, they do free transports from other Carmax to your local one with no obligation to buy.
rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rookie For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-16-2016)
Old 05-15-2016, 11:20 PM   #9
CelicaJoe
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Drives: 2000 Celica GTS
Location: Florida
Posts: 87
Thanks: 38
Thanked 81 Times in 32 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie View Post
My buying experience is similar and I know exactly what you're going through. A couple times the private seller I found either flaked on me or was slow to respond though I made it clear I was ready to buy. I'm glad things worked out the way they did otherwise I would've settled for a lesser 86 and I wouldn't have been 100% satisfied.

Be patient, it'll be worth it!
Every time I'm looking that crosses my mind "should I just say screw it and get an frs? I wasn't even sure a month ago which I wanted" but the interior was so disappointing to me, coming from someone with a cheap interior as it is. So I've just gotta wait it out
CelicaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 11:36 PM   #10
2013GTRNate
Senior Member
 
2013GTRNate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Location: SoCal
Posts: 493
Thanks: 533
Thanked 192 Times in 123 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Not the case in SoCal... Lots of kids get sideways quickly and have no choice but to sell. So they are all over the place out here. You are braver than me though this is the biggest tuner car EVER and is literally purchased in 90% of cases to modify. After seeing how people treat their cars I would always prefer to buy new whenever possible. Best of luck to you though. I hope that you find that special one, because it sure sounds like you have worked hard and will appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelicaJoe View Post
If any of you have ever watched the office, and remember when they had to make a commercial for Dunder Mifflin and it stars out with a man walking up and down the aisles waving his hand at salesmen trying to catch someone's att still, that's how I feel trying to buy this car. Every single time I find the right one (three times now) it's sold before they could take the ad down or sold the next day after I inquired. I've finally saved up enough, after nearly 2 years of being obsessed with this car. I thought that was going to be the hard part, I never though finding one to buy would be this tough.
I've narrowed what I want down to a limited brz, either white, wrb, or gbs. Aiming for less than 20k but can afford up to 22 if it was worth it. And I'm searching in a 500 mile radius of where I live and still have difficulty finding one!
I have to say, though. Somehow this makes me love the car even more, just one more irritating step that'll make me appreciate it that much more when I finally do buy it.

I test drove a new one a couple weeks back because I had only driven an automatic last year, and I had planned on looking at other cars but that test drive sold me 100%. There might be a better car out there but I honestly don't care to find it.
__________________
2013 Nissan GT-R Premium
2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
2014 Forester XT Touring

My BRZ's thread: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47467
2013GTRNate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2013GTRNate For This Useful Post:
Jaden (05-17-2016)
Old 05-16-2016, 12:23 AM   #11
campy
No rice, no life
 
campy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 1,143
Thanks: 266
Thanked 1,015 Times in 388 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
It doesn't help that dealerships don't have much interest in stocking them since they won't sell as easily as a Camry or a Forester.

You know exactly what you want and you have cash ready to throw down, can't you just ask a dealership to go find one for you?
__________________
2013 Asphalt Scion FR-S | Jackson Racing Supercharger | KW V3 | Enkei RS05RR 18x9.5
campy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:35 AM   #12
CelicaJoe
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Drives: 2000 Celica GTS
Location: Florida
Posts: 87
Thanks: 38
Thanked 81 Times in 32 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by campy View Post
It doesn't help that dealerships don't have much interest in stocking them since they won't sell as easily as a Camry or a Forester.

You know exactly what you want and you have cash ready to throw down, can't you just ask a dealership to go find one for you?
I'm in college and living on my own making $10 an hour, it would be pretty tough to manage a new car right now. I thought I could but I worked out all the numbers and I can't really take on that high of payments
CelicaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:40 AM   #13
CelicaJoe
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Drives: 2000 Celica GTS
Location: Florida
Posts: 87
Thanks: 38
Thanked 81 Times in 32 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013GTRNate View Post
Not the case in SoCal... Lots of kids get sideways quickly and have no choice but to sell. So they are all over the place out here. You are braver than me though this is the biggest tuner car EVER and is literally purchased in 90% of cases to modify. After seeing how people treat their cars I would always prefer to buy new whenever possible. Best of luck to you though. I hope that you find that special one, because it sure sounds like you have worked hard and will appreciate it.
I wouldn't say 90%, at least not in my area. The one thing I've noticed talking to people about these is the owners are generally over 40. ans while their age alone doesn't mean they didn't modify it, their personalities sure did. I'm no foreigner to buying best to hell cars and paying for it soon after I bought it, and I'm making sure I'm overly cautious with this purchase.
CelicaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:59 AM   #14
2013GTRNate
Senior Member
 
2013GTRNate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Location: SoCal
Posts: 493
Thanks: 533
Thanked 192 Times in 123 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelicaJoe View Post
I wouldn't say 90%, at least not in my area. The one thing I've noticed talking to people about these is the owners are generally over 40. ans while their age alone doesn't mean they didn't modify it, their personalities sure did. I'm no foreigner to buying best to hell cars and paying for it soon after I bought it, and I'm making sure I'm overly cautious with this purchase.
I can understand that.
__________________
2013 Nissan GT-R Premium
2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
2014 Forester XT Touring

My BRZ's thread: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47467
2013GTRNate is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Muffler impossible/difficult to remove? Autocon Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 21 12-26-2015 11:13 AM
Impossible to buy Monogram headlights from dealer? tomato86 Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) 29 01-30-2015 02:19 AM
Still impossible to get RED as a colour for the BRZ? DarthNads CANADA 10 08-27-2013 06:12 PM
Objective Choice Of Coilovers Impossible Captain Snooze Suspension | Chassis | Brakes 37 05-14-2013 06:24 PM
Is my game Impossible Shoota challenging enough mechaghost Off-Topic Lounge 4 02-01-2013 05:12 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.