follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Xero Limit
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Marketplace > Members Classifieds > Cars for Sale/Trade


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-11-2013, 01:45 PM   #15
Diode Dynamics
 
Diode Dynamics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 2,664
Thanks: 1,503
Thanked 1,759 Times in 875 Posts
Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
That seems to be a really well-engineered chassis, I'm interested to see what this will end up going for.

Nick C.
Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:55 PM   #16
campy
No rice, no life
 
campy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 1,143
Thanks: 266
Thanked 1,015 Times in 388 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
EXCEPT why the fuck would you get rid of the fantastic steering this car came with?
The stock max steering angle isn't particularly good for drifting.
campy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to campy For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (09-11-2013)
Old 09-11-2013, 02:00 PM   #17
strat61caster
Thread Killer
 
strat61caster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Drives: '13 FRS
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 8,493
Thanks: 11,563
Thanked 7,651 Times in 3,985 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
The driver it was meant for (Otto Graven) is South African. His previous rides in FD were RHD as well.

I don't believe this is a conversion, I think it was a RHD chassis imported for race use, hence the need for "private" discussion between seller and prospective buyers.

Most likely whomever that is buying the car will need to file an exemption with the DOT for race use, to avoid legal issues.

-alex
From the listing:

Quote:
Suspension/Steering:
Front:
KW Suspension Competition 3-way adjustable coil over
Solid Toyota MR-2 power steering pump has been fitted to work with this steering rack.
Right hand drive conversion w/ Nissan 240 steering rack fitted for MR2 pump
Toyota MR-2 power steering pump (p/n 1960-17017)
Vorshlag GD High Caster aluminum front caster plates (60mm)
I can see the argument about a S. African driver wanting RHD, combined with what @campy said about maximum steering angle I'll shut my mouth. Now off to google search FRS steering rack mods...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guff View Post
ineedyourdiddly
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:03 PM   #18
Diode Dynamics
 
Diode Dynamics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 2,664
Thanks: 1,503
Thanked 1,759 Times in 875 Posts
Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Why'd they use an MR-2 power steering pump? It says they "fit" it to fit this steering rack...certainly with a build this nice they could've made a better one fit right?

Nick C.
Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:03 PM   #19
strat61caster
Thread Killer
 
strat61caster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Drives: '13 FRS
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 8,493
Thanks: 11,563
Thanked 7,651 Times in 3,985 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics View Post
Why'd they use an MR-2 power steering pump? It says they "fit" it to fit this steering rack...certainly with a build this nice they could've made a better one fit right?

Nick C.
I'm guessing it was a hasty decision based on shop experience they know the parts, understand how they would fit up and what space would be left while meeting the arbitrary RHD requirement they were tasked with. Probably not the best performance choice, nor the most economical choice but it's the choice the customer wanted.

But I agree, I would think they would have searched for something higher end from an aftermarket provider focusing on racing application considering most estimates are landing in the $40k ballpark for which you could buy a new FRS w/ FI setup and go slideways to your hearts content.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guff View Post
ineedyourdiddly
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Diode Dynamics (09-11-2013)
Old 09-11-2013, 03:09 PM   #20
ZionsWrath
Thanks
 
ZionsWrath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Drives: BRZ
Location: NY
Posts: 3,941
Thanks: 5,841
Thanked 2,921 Times in 1,406 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
I'm guessing it was a hasty decision based on shop experience they know the parts, understand how they would fit up and what space would be left while meeting the arbitrary RHD requirement they were tasked with. Probably not the best performance choice, nor the most economical choice but it's the choice the customer wanted.

But I agree, I would think they would have searched for something higher end from an aftermarket provider focusing on racing application considering most estimates are landing in the $40k ballpark for which you could buy a new FRS w/ FI setup and go slideways to your hearts content.
This set up is for a V8 swap and the person who buys it will know that considering the seller has stated it and is only accepting offers from customers they can talk with in person about the car.
ZionsWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:16 PM   #21
strat61caster
Thread Killer
 
strat61caster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Drives: '13 FRS
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 8,493
Thanks: 11,563
Thanked 7,651 Times in 3,985 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZionsWrath View Post
This set up is for a V8 swap and the person who buys it will know that considering the seller has stated it and is only accepting offers from customers they can talk with in person about the car.
Can you elaborate how that relates to my post about the steering rack decisions? You're not wrong, I just struggle to see the connection.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guff View Post
ineedyourdiddly
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #22
ZionsWrath
Thanks
 
ZionsWrath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Drives: BRZ
Location: NY
Posts: 3,941
Thanks: 5,841
Thanked 2,921 Times in 1,406 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
You said someone could buy a FRS with the stock motor and FI... This car for sale is not for someone looking to go that route. . .
ZionsWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:17 PM   #23
strat61caster
Thread Killer
 
strat61caster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Drives: '13 FRS
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 8,493
Thanks: 11,563
Thanked 7,651 Times in 3,985 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZionsWrath View Post
You said someone could buy a FRS with the stock motor and FI... This car for sale is not for someone looking to go that route. . .
Ah, just throwing in some perspective on money spent for performance gained, guess it was taken the wrong way.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guff View Post
ineedyourdiddly
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:54 PM   #24
mav1178
Senior Member
 
mav1178's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Location: 91745
Posts: 6,050
Thanks: 475
Thanked 5,456 Times in 2,734 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
I can see the argument about a S. African driver wanting RHD, combined with what @campy said about maximum steering angle I'll shut my mouth. Now off to google search FRS steering rack mods...
FWIW:

Ken Gushi's Greddy FRS is running a S14 240SX steering rack.

I'm curious as to what Toshiki Yoshioka's BRZ is running now...

Interesting.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (09-11-2013)
Old 09-11-2013, 09:45 PM   #25
TouchMyHonda
Vtec Jesus
 
TouchMyHonda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: 13 BRZ, 13 Golf R, 15 Audi S4
Location: LSD
Posts: 1,165
Thanks: 623
Thanked 242 Times in 152 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hum
TouchMyHonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:50 PM   #26
campy
No rice, no life
 
campy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 1,143
Thanks: 266
Thanked 1,015 Times in 388 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
Ken Gushi's Greddy FRS is running a S14 240SX steering rack.
Is it a stock 240sx steering rack or a modded one? I feel like every drift-prepped 240 I see has crazy steering angle but it seems like more than would come from factory
campy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:55 AM   #27
Kids Heart
Senior Member
 
Kids Heart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited SWP
Location: Lawrenceville GA
Posts: 568
Thanks: 59
Thanked 102 Times in 63 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
This chassis would be perfect for a Japanese D1 drifter that wants to come stateside next season cough cough Orido.
Kids Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:30 AM   #28
mav1178
Senior Member
 
mav1178's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Location: 91745
Posts: 6,050
Thanks: 475
Thanked 5,456 Times in 2,734 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by campy View Post
Is it a stock 240sx steering rack or a modded one? I feel like every drift-prepped 240 I see has crazy steering angle but it seems like more than would come from factory
Usually modified stock rack with aftermarket tie rods, since there's enough endlinks/parts for the car to have enough steering angle after a conversion.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: 2013 Scion FRS whiteout STX prepped. miwialex Cars for Sale/Trade 0 09-05-2013 09:02 PM
Race prepped GT86 + turbo vs McLaren MP4-12C tanner Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum 0 08-27-2013 05:05 PM
FS: Feeler Track Prepped FR-S over 20k just in parts. track_warrior Cars for Sale/Trade 27 08-27-2013 01:48 AM
Wheel Directory: Team Dynamics Pro Race 1 17x7.0 +38 switchlanez Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack 7 06-25-2013 03:33 PM
Track Video: BRZ Passes worked Miata, unable to be passed by prepped s2000 gmookher Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum 1 11-06-2012 02:01 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.