follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 08-25-2017, 08:23 AM   #1
reynierpm

Drives: Toyota 86 2017 Black
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
A good front pipe for this guys ....

Hi there,

I am about to get a used TOMEI EXPREME UNEQUAL LENGTH HEADER - 2013+ FR-S / BRZ / 86 and I would like to know what front pipe goes well with those. I am trying to be louder but not so louder (I mean I don't want to be the center over the world if you understand me I am just trying to get a great sound coming out from my car). I have already installed a Perrin 3.0 catback, other than that no more changes.

Advice? Ideas?
reynierpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 08:53 AM   #2
Jakinit

Drives: 2017 CWP BRZ Limited (MT)
Garage
With a catback and the header you should be pretty loud. That's the header I just installed and it is noticeable without a catback.
Jakinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:12 AM   #3
reynierpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakinit View Post
With a catback and the header you should be pretty loud. That's the header I just installed and it is noticeable without a catback.
Good I will give a try without change the front pipe and see how it sounds. Now, what about tuning? What do I get for this? I want to avoid the light on the dash saying something is wrong, is not harmful but maybe will stop others light or sensors to work properly.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:22 AM   #4
Vital

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reynierpm View Post
Good I will give a try without change the front pipe and see how it sounds. Now, what about tuning? What do I get for this? I want to avoid the light on the dash saying something is wrong, is not harmful but maybe will stop others light or sensors to work properly.
Yes your header will throw a CEL code which will disable your cruise control. You will need a tune you can either get an ECUTek Tune or you can buy an OpenFlash Tablet and tune it yourself
Vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:14 AM   #5
Jakinit

Drives: 2017 CWP BRZ Limited (MT)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by reynierpm View Post
I went to a trusted shop nearby and got a canned ECUtek tune. You will need to if you don't want the CEL, before the tune mine came on after a couple days. After the tune, you won't have the torque dip anymore and if you so choose you might have launch control and some other perks as well.
Jakinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:29 AM   #6
Submarinesonce

Drives: Frs
the header will make very little power gain without a tune.
JDL UEL Turbo GT2860RS, AP Racing BBK, Verus Splitter/diffuser/canards, Sard rep carbon wing, TFF bash bar, HKS hi power, Tein Flex A, Hotchkiss FSB, Radium MCB, Konig Hypergram 17x8, FS Indy 500, 6k HID, Whiteline trans bushing insert, Verus AOS, grimmspeed strut brace, Racerx oil cooler w/ setrab 619, ES steering rack bushings, Whiteline subframe bushings, Toms tails, STi mirror caps, IRP shifter, TRD Steering wheel
Submarinesonce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:31 AM   #7
reynierpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submarinesonce View Post
the header will make very little power gain without a tune.
I'll do the tune for sure however I'll have to wait a little bit til then since the whole bundle is about $750 one step at the time
Old 08-25-2017, 11:47 AM   #8
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Please try and prioritize a tune. Your car is currently running poorly, CEL or not.

A lot of locals all over have tactrix cables and can flash on an OFT Stage 2 UEL tune for you for a 6 pack, maybe a pizza and a hand mowing their lawn or something.

You definitely don't need the front pipe. The Perrin 3" is optimized for FI, and is definitely a bit louder and more raspy than 2.5" systems, so keep that in mind. A stock front pipe won't free up much for power. If you want to keep it quiet, I'd suggest the JDL Ultra quiet front pipe.

There are a few other options too. There's a Fujitsubo dual resonated, an HKS dual resonated, a Nameless one with a high flow cat and resonator that also replaces your overpipe, etc.
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 12:58 PM   #9
lantsalot
Derp

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
I have seen a lot of posts about people doing the stock FP or a silenced one (JDL i think?) with the Tomei headers because otherwise it's just obnoxiously loud.
lantsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 01:19 PM   #10
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lantsalot View Post
I have seen a lot of posts about people doing the stock FP or a silenced one (JDL i think?) with the Tomei headers because otherwise it's just obnoxiously loud.
Yep, I've seen a lot of people with the stock FP and have an exhaust shop weld in a high flow cat and/or a more open style resonator.
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote