follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 11-30-2012, 04:16 AM   #1
chris's fr-s
@theexquisite86

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
DIY Sub-woofer Installation

can someone make this a post(embeded) and not a hyperlink?

http://frsdiy.blogspot.com/2012/11/diy-sub-woofer.html

Last edited by chris's fr-s; 11-30-2012 at 07:31 PM.
chris's fr-s is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chris's fr-s For This Useful Post:
avishenoy1 (08-06-2015), midnightfrolic (12-07-2012)
Old 11-30-2012, 04:31 AM   #2
nix

Drives: AVO BRZ
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Garage
Doesn't look like iframe is enabled on this forum so I can't embed it. You will need to copy paste the text, clean it up a bit and then use this code to add the pictures:
Code:
[IMG]image url here[/IMG]
Old 11-30-2012, 04:48 AM   #3
chris's fr-s
@theexquisite86

Quote:
Originally Posted by nix View Post
Doesn't look like iframe is enabled on this forum so I can't embed it. You will need to copy paste the text, clean it up a bit and then use this code to add the pictures:
Code:
[IMG]image url here[/IMG]

ya probably not tonight after i spent 6 hours writing the diy ill do it tommorrow
lol
chris's fr-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:02 PM   #4
2point0

Drives: '13 BRZ Ltd WRB
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
FYI - you went from "remove battery brace" to "remove positive terminal." Pretty sure you meant to put "remove negative cable" in there somewhere.

I'm just mad that the BRZ stereo has no pre-outs. Dunno why I was surprised...
2point0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:47 AM   #5
midnightfrolic

Drives: Scion FRS A/T raven
DONE!

I installed my fully loaded sub box with your DIY guide. Thank you so much dude!

I got the 11PECVR12 + 8 gauge wire kit from KICKER, which has the amp and subwoofer inside one box. Pretty slick box.

I ran the +12V on the passenger side, the remote wire + audio wires along the center console on the passenger side, and the bass controller wire along the center console on the driver side. Sounds amazing! I installed the bass remote next to my right knee to hide it next to the driver seat for a cleaner and more inconspicuous look.

The toughest part, I thought, was running the +12V wire through that dang grommet!!! GRRRRRRrrrr. Took forever to get it through cleanly. It was SOOO dang tight that I had to pry it with a screwdriver and 30mins. I even pulled it out completely! I didn't get the T-wire splitter though. I just opened up the remote brown wire and attached the remote wire for the sub and closed it up with electrical tape. Everything else was cake, even for my first time doing it. Works like a charm. There are no wires showing at all, except inside the trunk, which rarely gets opened.

You can tuck the power +12V wire behind the molding in the rear and then under the rear passenger seat for a cleaner look. You wouldn't have the wire sticking out a bit as it goes under the rear seat. The video below includes how to remove the rear seat, and just about everything else.

OEM+ audio kit installation video

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LytAyXbgS5w"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LytAyXbgS5w[/ame]

KICKER SUB info below. Not the best place for price, but good info on the box I got with pics.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...11PECVR12.html
midnightfrolic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to midnightfrolic For This Useful Post:
SubieNubie (09-10-2014)
Old 12-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #6
chuyjr85

Drives: Firestorm Red FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightfrolic View Post
I installed my fully loaded sub box with your DIY guide. Thank you so much dude!

I got the 11PECVR12 + 8 gauge wire kit from KICKER, which has the amp and subwoofer inside one box. Pretty slick box.

I ran the +12V on the passenger side, the remote wire + audio wires along the center console on the passenger side, and the bass controller wire along the center console on the driver side. Sounds amazing! I installed the bass remote next to my right knee to hide it next to the driver seat for a cleaner and more inconspicuous look.

The toughest part, I thought, was running the +12V wire through that dang grommet!!! GRRRRRRrrrr. Took forever to get it through cleanly. It was SOOO dang tight that I had to pry it with a screwdriver and 30mins. I even pulled it out completely! I didn't get the T-wire splitter though. I just opened up the remote brown wire and attached the remote wire for the sub and closed it up with electrical tape. Everything else was cake, even for my first time doing it. Works like a charm. There are no wires showing at all, except inside the trunk, which rarely gets opened.

You can tuck the power +12V wire behind the molding in the rear and then under the rear passenger seat for a cleaner look. You wouldn't have the wire sticking out a bit as it goes under the rear seat. The video below includes how to remove the rear seat, and just about everything else.

KICKER SUB info below. Not the best place for price, but good info on the box I got with pics.
Where can i get one of those sub boxes from the video?
chuyjr85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:14 PM   #7
midnightfrolic

Drives: Scion FRS A/T raven
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuyjr85 View Post
Where can i get one of those sub boxes from the video?
Here you go my friend. It comes in a package as far as i know. Search the audio forums on here. Someone was making just the custom sub box for a fair price.

http://oemaudioplus.com/mobile/
midnightfrolic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to midnightfrolic For This Useful Post:
charger (03-04-2013)
Old 12-08-2012, 11:52 PM   #8
chuyjr85

Drives: Firestorm Red FR-S
Quote:
Here you go my friend. It comes in a package as far as i know. Search the audio forums on here. Someone was making just the custom sub box for a fair price.

http://oemaudioplus.com/mobile/
Thanks for the link but wooo thats a lil pricey. Clean setup, but pricey.
chuyjr85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chuyjr85 For This Useful Post:
midnightfrolic (03-12-2013)
Old 12-17-2015, 04:02 PM   #9
eurominican
Bringing Hachiroku Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Any tips on how to reinstall that stupid grommet? Can't figure out how to put it back!!

Quote:

Old 09-29-2016, 03:38 PM   #10
Hawker271

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Does anyone know if a line out converter is necessary for hooking up to a stock head unit?
Hawker271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 05:23 PM   #11
CatDaddysBBQ

Drives: '13 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker271 View Post
Does anyone know if a line out converter is necessary for hooking up to a stock head unit?
There are a few versions of head units that came stock, but probably not. Most of them have a sub output already. I did have to tap into a wire (brown I think - not positive it was 3.x years ago) to get the on/off remote function to work with my amplifier to turn it on/off with the head unit, but otherwise it was plug and play.
CatDaddysBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:46 AM   #12
KnightRyderx2

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker271 View Post
As far as I know only the BeSpoke decks came with rear RCAs for external amps. The Pioneers didnt. This link will show you them, page 48.

If you dont have that deck its not to difficult to just take the deck out and look if you have some RCAs on the rear of the deck.

If you dont have any RCAs back there and you need a line converter or your amp has line in, you can make all your connections at the oem amp in the trunk. Easier then having to take apart your car to run all your lines to the rear speakers. There is multiple DIYs on the internet for our cars to do this and I believe there is a DIY on here. With this method, depending on your setup you can have it going in just over an hour.

I made all my line out and remote turn-on at the OEM amp. The only wire that goes somewhere other then the trunk is amp power run to the battery.
KnightRyderx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:02 AM   #13
whjdm069

Drives: 2015 scion frs
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRyderx2 View Post
As far as I know only the BeSpoke decks came with rear RCAs for external amps. The Pioneers didnt. This link will show you them, page 48.

If you dont have that deck its not to difficult to just take the deck out and look if you have some RCAs on the rear of the deck.

If you dont have any RCAs back there and you need a line converter or your amp has line in, you can make all your connections at the oem amp in the trunk. Easier then having to take apart your car to run all your lines to the rear speakers. There is multiple DIYs on the internet for our cars to do this and I believe there is a DIY on here. With this method, depending on your setup you can have it going in just over an hour.

I made all my line out and remote turn-on at the OEM amp. The only wire that goes somewhere other then the trunk is amp power run to the battery.
That's exactly what I did. Very easy to do.
whjdm069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:36 PM   #14
Hawker271

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRyderx2 View Post

Thanks for the reply. My head unit is the most basic pioneer without the touch screen. I've been told my multiple shops that it would be necessary?
Hawker271 is offline   Reply With Quote