follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 03-16-2014, 09:34 PM   #995
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,242 Times in 2,963 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyclone07 View Post
I am getting a lot of mixed responses when it comes to a question I have and was wondering if you guys could help out.

I have some RCE tarmac 2 going on once the weather gets nice and will be doing some occasional autocross and possibly track days. The car is more of a weekend driver.

I am looking for a decent lightweight rim for autocross and track days/occasional weekend driving. The RpF1's are great rims but I am leaning toward the TsW nurburgrings (simply aesthetics in this case) in a 18x8 w/ 35mm offset(18.6lbs).Would the 10mm difference in offset be detrimental in comparison to the 45mm. Also the 1 inch increase from 17 as well.

I am also looking for tire suggestions as well if you have any. Probably looking to get some Michelin pilot super sports in 225/40/18. (Another mixed area as some people say drop in the widest tire possible and others disagree.)

I appreciate your time and insight. Thanks in advance.
RPF1 is a great classic wheel. Hard to beat the value. It'll perform better for sure than that TSW option.

Pilot SS are a good street tire that's fun for auto-x and track. There are stickier tires but the Michelin's do everything pretty well. For an 8 inch wheel, 235 or 245 would be a good width.

- Andy
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
psyclone07 (03-16-2014)
Old 03-16-2014, 09:49 PM   #996
psyclone07

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
RPF1 is a great classic wheel. Hard to beat the value. It'll perform better for sure than that TSW option.

Pilot SS are a good street tire that's fun for auto-x and track. There are stickier tires but the Michelin's do everything pretty well. For an 8 inch wheel, 235 or 245 would be a good width.

- Andy

Thank you! Going to look into some rpf1's right now. Trying to find a good balance.
psyclone07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psyclone07 For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (03-16-2014)
Old 03-16-2014, 10:24 PM   #997
Fleischwagen

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 1979 Scirocco 16v
Read every post… such a good thread :respect:

I recently threw my nearly stock BRZ with Tein Street-Flex coilovers, 3/4 tank of gas and some ballast to mimic me in the driver's seat up on some scales.

At a nearly stock ride height (maybe 10/20mm lower), 26 inches from the edge of the fenders down to the ground, it came in around LF:753 RF:780 LR:633 RR:591 with no ballast and weighed in at 2757lbs. After messing around with the coilovers, we were able to even the fronts out for the most part, but still had a hard time getting the RR to get even close. I can't remember the end results because I was enjoying a few too many adult beverages but, the LR was about 680 and the RR was 630.

Long story short, I can use these scales whenever, I'm obviously going to try and get it even better (Cross weight was 50.2%) (Front weight 55.3%) and Left to right was nearly dead on. I was shocked to see just how well this car was balanced…

To bring up that RR weight I'm guessing I gotta lower the ride height minimally on the RF and LR? Thats what I tried and it seemed to work, but we ran outta time and packed it all up.

(I have some pretty basic suspension knowledge, please shed some light!)
Fleischwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:32 PM   #998
was385

Drives: MT WRB BRZ Limited, 2007 911s
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Thank you! Going to look into some rpf1's right now. Trying to find a good balance.
I just threw on some gunmetal RPF1s I got from a vendor here on my WRB BRZ and couldn't be happier. Awesome wheels for the money.

And a hat tip to @Racecomp Engineering. Installed RCE yellows with the setup and the difference is night and day.
was385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:41 PM   #999
psyclone07

Drives: WRB BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by was385 View Post
I just threw on some gunmetal RPF1s I got from a vendor here on my WRB BRZ and couldn't be happier. Awesome wheels for the money.

And a hat tip to @Racecomp Engineering. Installed RCE yellows with the setup and the difference is night and day.

Funny because I'm looking at the gunmetal ones for my WRB brz. Heh your in CT as well! Out of curiosity what size did you go with. I'm wondering if 17x9.5 is overkill or would 17x8 be more appropriate. Or even 18's x ???? for a little aesthetic reasoning.

What offset did you go with?
psyclone07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:48 PM   #1000
was385

Drives: MT WRB BRZ Limited, 2007 911s
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Funny because I'm looking at the gunmetal ones for my WRB brz. Heh your in CT as well! Out of curiosity what size did you go with. I'm wondering if 17x9.5 is overkill or would 17x8 be more appropriate. Or even 18's x ???? for a little aesthetic reasoning.

What offset did you go with?
Yep. 17x8 +45 for me. I did it for performance and think that 17x8 with 245 tires is the sweet spot and you just start gaining more weight (and losing some in your wallet) after that. 17 vs 18 is all about personal preference for aesthetics but for performance it doesn't make sense. Posted photos here:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=34

Edit: and I assure you the gunmetal looks much better in person than it does in pictures. They're stunning in person.
was385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:15 AM   #1001
DrDuquette

Drives: 2013 Premium White, 2006 TL
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Total weight transfer for a given corner at a given speed is down to COG, track width, and total weight of the car.

What we're doing with springs/rollbars/dampers is trying to control the rate at which it occurs, the distribution of that weight transfer, and minimize the changes in suspension geometry due to body roll.

With regards to distribution of weight transfer and I think where you might be getting mixed up...we can stiffen the rear which means more weight transfer at the rear. Since total must remain the same, this means there must be less weight transfer at the front. Less weight transfer at the front means more evenly loaded front tires. More evenly loaded front tires means more grip up front. That's why stiffer rear = less understeer. There may be additional affects from a stiffer rear like keeping the rear from rolling too much, reducing positive camber gain, and thereby keeping the tire nice and square on the road for a little more rear grip too, but it depends.

- Andy
I love your explanation. I'm a little confused. Help me out please. So a stiffer rear (ie. sway bar, springs) leads to more grip in the front. Right, so that would mean increase the possible oversteer, so if we feel the car pushes stiffen up the rear? If we feel the car oversteers too much, stiffen up the front.

Is an increase in size of the sway bar enough to so call "stiffen" one end of the car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DrDuquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:18 PM   #1002
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,242 Times in 2,963 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDuquette View Post
I love your explanation. I'm a little confused. Help me out please. So a stiffer rear (ie. sway bar, springs) leads to more grip in the front. Right, so that would mean increase the possible oversteer, so if we feel the car pushes stiffen up the rear? If we feel the car oversteers too much, stiffen up the front.

Is an increase in size of the sway bar enough to so call "stiffen" one end of the car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup, a stiffer rear means less push. Stiffening the front can reduce oversteer. A few other variables especially with the front but that's the gist of it.

Swaybar changes are usually pretty noticeable.

- Andy
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:39 PM   #1003
leicaboss
Coffee Snob

Drives: '14 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
OEM - BRZ
Front: 2.7kg/mm
Rear: 3.5kg/mm

Swift Sport - BRZ
Front: 3.8kg/mm
Rear: 4.5kg/mm

This is more of an alignment question, and I'm trying to understand what sort of settings would be ideal for a 1" drop. I have SPC LCAs and front camber bolts. What would be the recommended setting for an alignment (camber, etc) for someone looking to squeeze out some additional handling?

Last edited by leicaboss; 03-17-2014 at 03:23 PM.
leicaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:54 PM   #1004
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Camber should be set based on tire wear and temperatures (requires testing), and will be dependent on driving conditions and tire choice.

Stiffer tires, or less sticky tires will need less camber than a sticky or softer tire, and stiffer springs can increase the need for more static camber (less suspension travel in a corner means less camber gain).

That said, there are some pretty safe starting points. Are you planning on mostly street driving, or more track? What tires?
Old 03-17-2014, 02:06 PM   #1005
mid_life_crisis

Drives: FR-S 10 #103 AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
This may be addressed already, in which case just point me to the post.
I would like to lower the car about one inch. Based on what I've read so far, if you could do this with no other changes, it would still improve handling overall. I would also like to not lose any ride comfort (improving it would be nice). There is a company selling coilovers that are designed mostly to improve the ride comfort but they also will facilitate lowering quite nicely. The question I have is based on their springs. What would putting identical soft springs on all four corners do to the handling of a twin? What I have read so far says to me that this is a really bad idea and I should look at a different set of coilovers if I don't want to cause a noticeable deterioration in the handling.
mid_life_crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 02:43 PM   #1006
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leicaboss View Post
OEM - BRZ
Front: 2.7kg/mm
Rear: 3.5kg/mm

Swift Sport - BRZ
Front: 3kg/mm
Rear: 4.5kg/mm

This is more of an alignment question, and I'm trying to understand what sort of settings would be ideal for a 1" drop. I have SPC LCAs and front camber bolts. What would be the recommended setting for an alignment (camber, etc) for someone looking to squeeze out some additional handling?
The swift BRZ spec springs are 3.8k/4.5k f/r.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to solidONE For This Useful Post:
leicaboss (03-17-2014)
Old 03-17-2014, 02:47 PM   #1007
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Total weight transfer for a given corner at a given speed is down to COG, track width, and total weight of the car.

What we're doing with springs/rollbars/dampers is trying to control the rate at which it occurs, the distribution of that weight transfer, and minimize the changes in suspension geometry due to body roll.

With regards to distribution of weight transfer and I think where you might be getting mixed up...we can stiffen the rear which means more weight transfer at the rear. Since total must remain the same, this means there must be less weight transfer at the front. Less weight transfer at the front means more evenly loaded front tires. More evenly loaded front tires means more grip up front. That's why stiffer rear = less understeer. There may be additional affects from a stiffer rear like keeping the rear from rolling too much, reducing positive camber gain, and thereby keeping the tire nice and square on the road for a little more rear grip too, but it depends.

- Andy
how do stiffer springs create more weight transfer exactly? its not intuitive really as i would think a spring would be more of a resistance and the weight would be pushed elsewhere.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:03 PM   #1008
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
i think the word more is what is misleading, stiffer springs increase the rate at which load occurs, so the stiffer side reacts quicker, reaching its limit before the other end... so its more on that relative end, but the total is unchanged

and please understand that springs to not resist weight transfer, they absorb it, with stiffer springs absorbing the same as softwprings, with the only difference being how it LOOKS like from the outside (softer spring compresison more) and the speed at which it happens.

Last edited by 7thgear; 03-17-2014 at 03:34 PM.
7thgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 7thgear For This Useful Post:
RJasonKlein (09-27-2015)