follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-24-2012, 09:21 PM   #113
White64Goat

Drives: 13 BRZ CBS LTD MT, 02 WRX
Thanked 1,111 Times in 627 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Enigmus, I've got a question for you. In your DIY writeup you said to give the crank bolt a good tug clockwise, yet your picture of the breaker bar has the arrow pointing counter-clockwise. So is the crank bolt a standard thread (lefty-loosie, righty-tighty) or is it a reverse thread bolt with righty being loosie?
White64Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:38 PM   #114
Silverdub
Boostin'

Drives: FRS-T
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
It is standard and turn COUNTERclockwise. He seems to be as confused as my wife that still mixes up left and right
Silverdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:54 PM   #115
Coheed

Drives: DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by D1cker View Post
Mine should be here on Monday, I was worried at first as most of the cars I've had, pulleys have caused issues with the oil pump, but the OEM pulley doesn't seem to have any harmonic balancing.

It's like a cheaper lightweight flywheel!
The OEM is a harmonic balancer. You can see the rubber ring separating the inside and outside parts of the pulley.

Most of the time you don't feel any difference in vibration. But rod bearing wear CAN be impacted due to 2nd wave harmonics. You can't feel them, but they impact the crank, and is the reason OEMs use a harmonic balancer in the first place.

I hate the OEM balancers, they seem to slip out of "time" and the timing marks wander off their marks with mileage and abuse. But everyone should know the advantages and disadvantages of using a solid one.
Coheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:00 PM   #116
Coheed

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmayol View Post
Nice mod, great value. Whenever I get my BRZ this will be one of the first on my todo list. I've been running one on my RSX for at least 30K with no problems whatsoever.
K20 has internal balance shaft.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:01 PM   #117
White64Goat

Drives: 13 BRZ CBS LTD MT, 02 WRX
Thanked 1,111 Times in 627 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Here's a trick I learned while working for Pontiac. Since I don't have my BRZ yet I have no way of knowing if this will work because I don't know if or what type of under-pans there might be in the way, but on the older Pontiac V-8's you can take a 1/2" drive breaker bar with an air gun type deep well 6 point socket and place the socket on the crank bolt and turn the crank clockwise until the breaker bar rests against the floor, pull the coil wire and tap the engine over with the starter, loosens the crank bolt!
White64Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:03 PM   #118
Coheed

Quote:
Originally Posted by noAE86 View Post
rotating assembly is always balanced together,

crank pulley, crank pulley bolt & washer, crank pulley key, crank shaft, rods, pistons, piston rings, wrist pins, wrist pin clips, flywheel, flywheel bolts, clutch cover, clutch cover bolts,

its not the good old days of 2t 3t toyota engines that you can slap together and turn key,
in the past with my high strung engines, we would mark every item to know exactly where it assembled back together down to the clips, + or - grams was the tolerance, and this made for a fantastically smooth revving engine,

given this day and age every factory has high tech assembly plants, there might be 5-10 grams differences between parts but if the numbers are any higher, the result is a fuel injected vibrator,

The rotating assembly of the engine is balanced independently of the clutch/flywheel/harmonic balancer. Individual components are balanced separately to a zero tolerance. Engines these days are not "externally" balanced with the flywheel/damper.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:08 PM   #119
Coheed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsguy83 View Post
We are not talking about those holes, the ones we are talking about are on the face of the pulley, and they have no thread for a bolt.
There is no need for thread for a bolt because a jaw puller will remove it without damage, as opposed to the factory pulley. The outer ring of the factory pulley can be pulled of from the inner piece because the only thing holding it together is the rubber damping ring. Bolts are there for removal of the factory unit, as you know. But just in case other's are wondering, a 2-3 jaw puller will pull the aftermarket unit off rather easily.

The other holes are balance holes, because this factory pulley is cast it requires balancing.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:31 PM   #120
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,346 Times in 4,127 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coheed View Post
Individual components are balanced separately to a fine tolerance.
fixed
Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:38 PM   #121
Coheed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
fixed
No, I meant zero. You would literally have to spin the harmonic balancer to speeds that would cause it to separate before you saw even an ounce of variance from zero.

So for all intents and purposes, it's a zero tolerance. I'm sure you could nitpick fractions of an ounce at 9000rpm, but that's pointless.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:45 PM   #122
Enigmus

Drives: 1996 Integra LS 4DR, 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by White64Goat View Post
Enigmus, I've got a question for you. In your DIY writeup you said to give the crank bolt a good tug clockwise, yet your picture of the breaker bar has the arrow pointing counter-clockwise. So is the crank bolt a standard thread (lefty-loosie, righty-tighty) or is it a reverse thread bolt with righty being loosie?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverdub View Post
It is standard and turn COUNTERclockwise. He seems to be as confused as my wife that still mixes up left and right
oops I fixed it. Wasn't thinking straight at 1am and wanted to finish it so I could get some shut eye. thanks for pointing it out!
Enigmus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enigmus For This Useful Post:
Silverdub (07-24-2012)
Old 07-25-2012, 02:00 AM   #123
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
There is no need for thread for a bolt because a jaw puller will remove it without damage, as opposed to the factory pulley. The outer ring of the factory pulley can be pulled of from the inner piece because the only thing holding it together is the rubber damping ring. Bolts are there for removal of the factory unit, as you know. But just in case other's are wondering, a 2-3 jaw puller will pull the aftermarket unit off rather easily.

The other holes are balance holes, because this factory pulley is cast it requires balancing.
Thanks for the info I didn't know all of that. But regarding my post, I was referring specifically at the balancing holes. :happy0180:
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:13 AM   #124
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,346 Times in 4,127 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
No, I meant zero. You would literally have to spin the harmonic balancer to speeds that would cause it to separate before you saw even an ounce of variance from zero.

So for all intents and purposes, it's a zero tolerance. I'm sure you could nitpick fractions of an ounce at 9000rpm, but that's pointless.
Even your statement is contradictory: "No, I meant zero" and "I'm sure you could nitpick fractions of an ounce".

So.... If the device to weigh the items was accurate down to 0.001 grams that leaves an error of margin of +/- 0.0005. Which is not zero. I agree the tolerance are so fine as to not to matter but they are not zero.
Please forgive me; I am a pedant.
Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:25 AM   #125
Coheed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
Even your statement is contradictory: "No, I meant zero" and "I'm sure you could nitpick fractions of an ounce".

So.... If the device to weigh the items was accurate down to 0.001 grams that leaves an error of margin of +/- 0.0005. Which is not zero. I agree the tolerance are so fine as to not to matter but they are not zero.
Please forgive me; I am a pedant.
Right. Nitpicking. :P

We could go as far as to measure the number of quarks and bosons that make up the pulley, but it's pointless right? Measured in grams, it should balance out. Of course, after a few thousand miles that could change things.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:30 PM   #126
PERRIN_Jeff

Drives: Matte Black STI
Thanked 1,546 Times in 206 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
Weren't misfires caused by lightweight flyhweels used in conjunction with lightweight pulleys?
From my experience with the WRX/STI, this did happen sometimes, but mainly older cars. Keep in mind, these were misfire codes, not actual misfires. Meaning the car ran perfectly fine, but Check Engine Lights popped up. The good thing is, this is an item we can tune out of the map!

Quote:
The OEM is a harmonic balancer. You can see the rubber ring separating the inside and outside parts of the pulley.

Most of the time you don't feel any difference in vibration. But rod bearing wear CAN be impacted due to 2nd wave harmonics. You can't feel them, but they impact the crank, and is the reason OEMs use a harmonic balancer in the first place.

I hate the OEM balancers, they seem to slip out of "time" and the timing marks wander off their marks with mileage and abuse. But everyone should know the advantages and disadvantages of using a solid one.
My only correction to your statements is they are not Balancers, but rather Dampeners. They are dampeners that are balanced on them selves, but that is it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White64Goat View Post
Here's a trick I learned while working for Pontiac. Since I don't have my BRZ yet I have no way of knowing if this will work because I don't know if or what type of under-pans there might be in the way, but on the older Pontiac V-8's you can take a 1/2" drive breaker bar with an air gun type deep well 6 point socket and place the socket on the crank bolt and turn the crank clockwise until the breaker bar rests against the floor, pull the coil wire and tap the engine over with the starter, loosens the crank bolt!
We always joke about just starting the engine with the wrench on the crank and seeing what would happen. Not that I would recommend this at all!
PERRIN_Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PERRIN_Jeff For This Useful Post:
rene0023 (09-29-2013)