follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-17-2012, 11:46 PM   #99
soconfoozed

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT WR Blue Pearl
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
As a mechanical engineer, I can tell you that it doesn't cost more to design a speaker cover that actually friggin' stays put. Basic fitment issues like that are unacceptable, and nobody should tolerate them.
eriktherod (07-18-2012)
Old 07-17-2012, 11:53 PM   #100
chulooz
Registered you sir

Drives: 99 impreza coupe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soconfoozed View Post
As a mechanical engineer, I can tell you that it doesn't cost more to design a speaker cover that actually friggin' stays put. Basic fitment issues like that are unacceptable, and nobody should tolerate them.
As not a mechanical engineer, I can tell you that even the mightiest of car companies can make mistakes with new models in first year production.

A speaker grill rattle can be easily fix and noted for next time, especially on a $25K jap car; at least its not your new italian exotic thats bursting into flames because of poor designs, that is truly intolerable. Lets be reasonable here.
chulooz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chulooz For This Useful Post:
eriktherod (07-18-2012)
Old 07-18-2012, 12:05 AM   #101
soconfoozed

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT WR Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by chulooz View Post
As not a mechanical engineer, I can tell you that even the mightiest of car companies can make mistakes with new models in first year production.

A speaker grill rattle can be easily fix and noted for next time, especially on a $25K jap car; at least its not your new italian exotic thats bursting into flames because of poor designs, that is truly intolerable. Lets be reasonable here.

Understood RE: new products, and agreed -- sort of. My approach to design is to be much more sensitive to the customer...to BE chief complainer, so that nobody has a chance to take that title from me. Before they shipped they first batch, the project manager should have been popping open doors and hoods and trunks at random, and poking his head in. Rolling windows up and down 1,000 times, because it's not that I don't trust the automated testing that the other engineers did...it's just that I don't trust it. It's his job to decide "yup, this is it, our creation, holy and perfect in all ways." You can't catch them all, but if you look, you can catch most of them. When something like this gets by, one wonders whether the designers ever actually used their product.

I'm actually much more forgiving of problems with longer failure horizons, because artificial aging is a really tricky thing to do.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:55 AM   #102
exmayol

Drives: Acura RSX
Whether 25K is a bargain or not everyone has their own expectations of ideal package. I haven't had a chance to drive one yet but had an opportunity to sit in BRZ Limited and I still think interior has a cheap feel to it. I understand they had to cut corners yet I fail to understand why not add another trim for an extra 2K with nicer materials and all... I fully support function over form yet can't stand cheap feel. Still I am convinced it is one of the most fun cars around and was never in the last 10 years as close to buying one despite all drawbacks.
exmayol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:17 AM   #103
fistpoint

Drives: Supercharged Golf Cart
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan_SC View Post
I understand the additional penalties, taxes, tariffs, etc. But are you trying to tell me that all those costs add up to at least $11,000 (Spanish GT-86 costs approx 30k euros = approx $36k USD)
Quite possibly, yes, that's exactly how tariffs work. I couldn't believe my eyes when I visited that dealership in Athens. In contrast though I believe there are certain cars they get much cheaper than we do in the states. Have you noticed how in Germany nearly every taxi is a Mercedes or BMW? Imagine seeing that here, not even Beverly Hills rolls that hard.
fistpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:21 AM   #104
_hollywood

Drives: 97 itr sold
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I dont mind the little quirks here and there, when i get an m3 guy giving me a thumbs up, i slowly forget about my front speaker cover coming out, and the 3donuts i did in a row earlier also make me feel better about my purchase

Its a 25k scion, drive it like you stole it, pansies
FR-S #56 of 86 Raven MT ***FOR SALE***
_hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:41 AM   #105
Moto-P

Drives: Many types of cars in R&D.
Thanked 3,058 Times in 568 Posts
Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
You know, a LOTUS ELISE and EXIGE costs more than three times this car, and has LESS toys for comfort or ear-blasting audio system...
And that's a proper sports car also. because both FR-S and those Lotus cars have everything a sports car NEEDS to have, and FRS a few more to make life a little more useful.
Consulting Member at Cusco, OEM+, RS-R.
www.club4ag.com
Moto-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:28 AM   #106
Shinjuku05

Drives: TBA
I would imagine those kind of rattly things would ultimately fall in the lap of the SCM or Supply chain manager.

when these cars get screwed together as production cranks them out the SCM is charged with the job of ensuring the materials are in supply and within spec of what they need. now if there is a variation in the spec of the goods...guess what they chuck an MRB meeting or a material review board meeting to make sure the alternate supply is within spec of what they need etc etc.

cut a long story short, lets say these door and speaker rattles are a nuisance then its likely the engineer and RI or receivables inspector has not check material density torque spec material grade and max torque spec. this then effects the door seal and weather seal guy. the effect is knocked on allover because they ran out of a fastener of some description and cannot get it supplied or there is a delay in supply.

9/10 its usually the SCM and not the build quality.

gets my 3 thumbs up for the BFYB 2012 car.
Shinjuku05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:58 AM   #107
xantonin
Mr. Detail

Drives: 2003 Celica GT-S
tl;dr

I think the point is people would be willing to pay more for this car if their complaints were met. Regardless of everything else, the foundation of this car being a light weight RWD vehicle means it appeals to a great number of people, including those willing to spend more on it.

The fact that the selection is restricted to one model means those willing to pay more for what they want are stuck complaining. Within this selection of car, there are no other choices to get a lightweight RWD, unless you get an Elise, but in terms of luxury that's a step down.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:43 AM   #108
Trojan_SC

Drives: '14 Monogram FR-S(RIP)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fistpoint View Post
Have you noticed how in Germany nearly every taxi is a Mercedes or BMW? Imagine seeing that here, not even Beverly Hills rolls that hard.
And there are probably more Land Cruisers driving around in Afghanistan than California. Doesn't mean much when they are the stripped down versions and don't have all the amenities that we get here. Remember as well that in Germany, MB, BMW and Audi are to them what Chevy, Ford and Chrysler are to us. Obviously they get them cheaper there.
Trojan_SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:48 AM   #109
empower-auto
Kouki-Monster

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I like how this thread has been reduced from "omg this 25k car is crap! unacceptable!" to "omg speaker grilles"
Old 07-18-2012, 11:52 AM   #110
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by exmayol View Post
Whether 25K is a bargain or not everyone has their own expectations of ideal package. I haven't had a chance to drive one yet but had an opportunity to sit in BRZ Limited and I still think interior has a cheap feel to it. I understand they had to cut corners yet I fail to understand why not add another trim for an extra 2K with nicer materials and all... I fully support function over form yet can't stand cheap feel. Still I am convinced it is one of the most fun cars around and was never in the last 10 years as close to buying one despite all drawbacks.
I drive a RSX just like you do and the Limited interior is waaayyyy better than our cars.

Our dashboard=hard everywhere
BRZ Limited=soft everywhere(I remember poking it with my finger tips)

Our door panel is 100% hard minus the leather in the middle part
BRZ Limited door panel is 50% hard.

I actually molested a BRZ at a auto show just to make sure it was a upgrade over our cars.

RSX MSRP $24,400
BRZ Limited $27,500

This car makes our car look like shit IMHO and ask anybody here and they will tell you I am not a BRZ fanboy one bit.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:02 PM   #111
mines13

Drives: '13 FR-S '12 CBR1000RR
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mines13 Send a message via Yahoo to mines13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-P View Post
You know, a LOTUS ELISE and EXIGE costs more than three times this car, and has LESS toys for comfort or ear-blasting audio system...
And that's a proper sports car also. because both FR-S and those Lotus cars have everything a sports car NEEDS to have, and FRS a few more to make life a little more useful.
My old coworker's shifter snapped off in his Lotus Elise at Watkins Glen, this was a pretty common issue in the 05-06 cars. That thing was 50 grand and had some of the shoddiest build quality I have ever seen regarding fit and finish. Still a great car.
mines13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:21 PM   #112
eriktherod

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Firestorm Red MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Aw damn, Watkins Glen is a killer track too!