follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-03-2015, 05:33 PM   #1
shishand

Drives: Whiteout
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
lease is almost up, whats next?

I know most of you guys financed this car, but to those that leased or those that are planning to change their cars soon, what's next ?
I been looking at the M235, Genesis 3.8 ( i know i know..), some lexus (not sure about the model), evo, sti (no more hatch though )..
anyways, im stuck in between.

currently i have the white frs in auto, sadly yes AT, but the next car is definitely MT, and its also one of the reasons im not really considering buying this car at the end of my lease. by the end of my lease, there will be about 15-16k left.

i thought about just getting another frs in mt, but i think i want something different now, perhaps with a little more comfort but still sporty. a tad bid of luxury wouldnt be bad either (leather seats etc.. ), nothing major. any thoughts? im going to 21 when lease is over, going into my 3rd year of college as well.

i should mention, price point for the lease should be well under $500, including tax. im open to buying a car as well
shishand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:45 PM   #2
Chanpion

Drives: 13 FRS Satin
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I suggest this to almost everyone but Fiesta ST which is cheaper, or Focus ST. Take a test drive of them you'll understand why people love them.
As for alternatives, there's the Caddy ATS and WRX are my secondary recommendations. Lease seems to be a great direction to go for any car that's in its first generation or relatively new.
Chanpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:57 PM   #3
myusernameisrob

Drives: FR-Z
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
S2000...
myusernameisrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:10 PM   #4
shishand

Drives: Whiteout
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanpion View Post
I suggest this to almost everyone but Fiesta ST which is cheaper, or Focus ST. Take a test drive of them you'll understand why people love them.
As for alternatives, there's the Caddy ATS and WRX are my secondary recommendations. Lease seems to be a great direction to go for any car that's in its first generation or relatively new.
those are cheap, and kind of a downgrade. fwd 1.6l? i'd keep the frs. I also agree on the lease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoitsrob View Post
S2000...
no thanks mate. cheap toys :p i'd keep my frs. s2000 is way too impractical. im looking for an upgrade
shishand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:19 PM   #5
Ddreder

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 1990 Miata
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shishand View Post
those are cheap, and kind of a downgrade. fwd 1.6l? i'd keep the frs. I also agree on the lease.

no thanks mate. cheap toys :p i'd keep my frs. s2000 is way too impractical. im looking for an upgrade
The fr-s actually feels cheap in comparison.. Yes convertibles are tough to live with I understand that. With a hardtop they become much more functional for all year round driving.

Idk I cant understand leasing a car. Its like renting an apartment. I would find it so hard to enjoy because at the end of the day its not actually yours..

BUT I think the new IS's from lexus are super awesome. If I had to do a lease stuff I would go for one of those.
Ddreder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ddreder For This Useful Post:
TheVoiceOfReason (03-03-2015)
Old 03-03-2015, 06:22 PM   #6
sprintertrueno86

Drives: 2018 BMW M2
RC350
sprintertrueno86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:26 PM   #7
cdo221

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S, 2015 RS 1.0
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
you should take a look at the 2015 Mustang as well, seems to fit (sporty but more comfortable than a FR-S, add some luxury to it competitor to the Genesis)
cdo221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:43 PM   #8
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I'd concur that both Fiesta and Focus STs would be a downgrade in both performance, and especially looks from your twin.

Your dilemma kind of points out what makes the '86 platform so special. There simply aren't any lightweight, RWD, agile, driver focused 2+2 sports cars with good MPG on the market. Closest thing is a Lotus Evora. Outside of that car, there hasn't been anything like the '86 for a long time.

• 370z, Gencoupe, Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger are all heavy muscle car GTs.
  • Miata, S2K, Cayman are all 2 seaters that aren't practical as DDs.
  • Fiesta, Golf, Focus, Abarth, are FWD hot hatches that can be quick/fun, but look dowdy compared to a low slung coupe and you're not going to find one in RWD.

IMO your best bet would be to buy your '86 when the lease ends and then mod it to be more luxurious (upgrade the interior (leather, suede, etc) add sound deadening, upgrade the stereo), or faster (add F.I.) or maybe even both. If you find that you prefer a muscle car, roadster or hot hatch, then the '86 was probably never the right car for you to begin with.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
Mr.Impreza (03-03-2015), shishand (03-04-2015), Teseo (03-03-2015)
Old 03-03-2015, 06:46 PM   #9
myusernameisrob

Drives: FR-Z
Quote:
You probably would find it somewhat outdated but I would go for a used Nismo 350z. They've become cheaper and you could even grab a 370z for the amount of money you're willing to put down on a lease.

$500/month for a lease sounds outrageous to me even if it's well below it. You could finance a brand new BMW for that price if your credit and negotiation game is on point.
myusernameisrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:48 PM   #10
PhantomX
INTJ

Drives: 2017 86 860
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddreder View Post
Idk I cant understand leasing a car. Its like renting an apartment. I would find it so hard to enjoy because at the end of the day its not actually yours..

BUT I think the new IS's from lexus are super awesome. If I had to do a lease stuff I would go for one of those.
It's no different from financing. The car is still the finance company's until you finish paying it off. Leasing a car for the first 2-3 years just makes it easier on the pocket per month. The biggest things are you can keep it and finance the balance (which is kind of like refinancing your car), sell the car and pay off the balance (just like selling a car you have financed), trade it in for a new car (which is just like financed vehicles, but you don't have to worry if the payoff is higher than the trade-in worth of the vehicle), or just plain give it back (which is the biggest pro to leasing since with financed vehicles, it's called a voluntary repo, which is a ding on your credit). The only con to leasing is you are limited to a certain average mileage per year within that lease period.
PhantomX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:54 PM   #11
Chanpion

Drives: 13 FRS Satin
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I know it seems weird but the Fiesta feels much faster than the twin. I think it's the torque and torque curve. It's on overboost most of the time too. It's simply a fast car.
I urge you to at least just give it a test drive.
Chanpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:27 PM   #12
Mr.Impreza
Mr.Fujitsubo

Drives: 2018 STI
Thanked 1,552 Times in 784 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
I'd concur that both Fiesta and Focus STs would be a downgrade in both performance, and especially looks from your twin.

Your dilemma kind of points out what makes the '86 platform so special. There simply aren't any lightweight, RWD, agile, driver focused 2+2 sports cars with good MPG on the market. Closest thing is a Lotus Evora. Outside of that car, there hasn't been anything like the '86 for a long time.

• 370z, Gencoupe, Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger are all heavy muscle car GTs.
  • Miata, S2K, Cayman are all 2 seaters that aren't practical as DDs.
  • Fiesta, Golf, Focus, Abarth, are FWD hot hatches that can be quick/fun, but look dowdy compared to a low slung coupe and you're not going to find one in RWD.

IMO your best bet would be to buy your '86 when the lease ends and then mod it to be more luxurious (upgrade the interior (leather, suede, etc) add sound deadening, upgrade the stereo), or faster (add F.I.) or maybe even both. If you find that you prefer a muscle car, roadster or hot hatch, then the '86 was probably never the right car for you to begin with.
Amen!

Mr.Impreza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Impreza For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (03-03-2015)
Old 03-03-2015, 08:12 PM   #13
billwot

Drives: '11 Cayman , '14 Camry, '11 Tacoma
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Caymen!
billwot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to billwot For This Useful Post:
NWFRS (03-03-2015)
Old 03-03-2015, 08:45 PM   #14
TheVoiceOfReason

Drives: BRZ Limited
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomX View Post
It's no different from financing. The car is still the finance company's until you finish paying it off. Leasing a car for the first 2-3 years just makes it easier on the pocket per month. The biggest things are you can keep it and finance the balance (which is kind of like refinancing your car), sell the car and pay off the balance (just like selling a car you have financed), trade it in for a new car (which is just like financed vehicles, but you don't have to worry if the payoff is higher than the trade-in worth of the vehicle), or just plain give it back (which is the biggest pro to leasing since with financed vehicles, it's called a voluntary repo, which is a ding on your credit). The only con to leasing is you are limited to a certain average mileage per year within that lease period.
I wouldn't quite say its "just like" financing.

It is great for people who know they will get a new car every two or three years. They usually are not worried about losing a little money on the deal because they are just happy to jump into a new car with a new lease and not having to sell their previous car. You are paying extra for that convenience.

For people who know that they will want the car after the lease is over, it is a waste of money. Although its true it may help you with the payment and be your only way for to afford the car you want initially, it will always cost more money in the long run than financing the car up front. That may be worth it to some, and thats fine, I just wouldn't say they are the same.
TheVoiceOfReason is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheVoiceOfReason For This Useful Post:
zc06_kisstherain (03-04-2015)