follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 04-29-2013, 03:03 PM   #1
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Helping my Dad Out (Focus ST vs. Veloster Turbo)

Well, my Dad's RX-8 is just about done with its seals, and he wants a new car. After loads of research (been looking at cars all winter) he has narrowed it down to the Veloster Turbo and the Ford Focus ST.

Interesting side note, a loaded Veloster Turbo costs less than a slightly-upgraded Focus ST. The VT also carries a much longer warranty.

So, keeping in mind that this is HIS decision, I would appreciate it if you guys would give an honest objective opinion about which car you would choose, and why. Keep in mind that he is not likely to do any modifications, and drives this daily ~30-40 miles.

And go! Thanks in advance!
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:10 PM   #2
the_colombian

Drives: Red FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I think the veloster is much nicer than the focus, but I've heard the veloster is just ok on power and one of the main pros on the st is its power. I just can't get passed the focus interior.
It's probably going to come down to the test drive and breaking some dealers heart when he decides on the other model.
I too had an rx8 a couple of years ago. I'm still not sure if I should have got one again instead of the frs. The frs is cool but the rx8 was much more comfortable.
the_colombian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to the_colombian For This Useful Post:
HunterGreene (04-29-2013)
Old 04-29-2013, 03:14 PM   #3
SVTSHC
(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ

Drives: 2015 Series Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
ST hands down. Driven both personally and the VeloTurbo has got nothing on the ST. Granted you'll be fighting with the ST's torque steer (a decent amount, even my buddies 330HP SI didn't torque steer this much) but it makes up for it by having NO understeer. When you turn in the ass end just swings around and you either pretend to be rear wheel till you mash the pedal and it rights itself or you'll four wheel drift, but you won't understeer.

Aside from the boy racer facts, on the street the thing is composed but twitchy because the steering lock to lock is like 1.8 iirc. The interior is very nice in my opinion, the seats are amazing and though the center stack and instruments are a bit busy it's not bad at all once you're used to it.

"Sweet Subaru, sweet Subaru, send your BRZ unto me, for the roads of the unworthy must be baptized in speed and glory." ~Zaku
SVTSHC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SVTSHC For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2013, 03:37 PM   #4
kALMIGHTY
Banned

Drives: TRD Ultramarine '13
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
I'd say the Veloster Turbo. If this is going to be his DD, and doesn't care too much about performance numbers on paper, go for the VT. Even if the ST is better on power, it doesn't have anything more than that against the VT. Plus, the VT just looks so much more unique and it's just sexy compared the Focus. You'll just blend in with the Focus and unless someone who knows their stuff about cars is looking at the ST, it won't be a head turner at all.

kALMIGHTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:47 PM   #5
f0rge
head of infinite swagger

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Garage
definitely focus on this one, even without the extra power it's a much nicer car overall.

the 3 door thing is sorta cool, but not for your dad lol.
2013 Ultramarine FR-S 6MT - Car Journal - SOLD
2004 AlpineWhite M3 6MT - SOLD
f0rge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:53 PM   #6
leon78

Drives: 13 Whiteout
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Mazdaspeed3
GunMetal 16x8+25 Enkei CompE_Cusco OCC_ Kartboy Crank Pulley_Kartboy TMM insert_Koni Yellows_RCE Springs_K&N Drop-In_Eibach FSB_J2 Catless FP_WhiteLine Camber Bolts_NameLess Track Pipe_RBF600_Ferodo DS2500_PTUNING Tuned.
Less parking more racing
leon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to leon78 For This Useful Post:
Giccin (04-29-2013), Marchy (05-06-2013), powerj2 (04-30-2013)
Old 04-29-2013, 03:58 PM   #7
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Oh snap, monkey wrench! Fiesta ST!

But if he needs one now, I'd leave it at this without having driven either, but having driven a base Veloster.
Good gas mileage and lots of warranty - Veloster Turbo.
Enjoys driving and wants a more engaging vehicle - Focus ST.
n2oinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to n2oinferno For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2013, 04:15 PM   #8
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Garage
If he doesn't want a twin, he should get a used GTI or wait a year and get the new GTI or new WRX. The Veloster is a mediocre performer with no clearance for a helmet. It will also cost way too much to own since it will lose value quicker than the others.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2013, 04:16 PM   #9
infinite012
Banned

Drives: 13 DGM BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Read up on all the issues Veloster and Veloster Turbo owners are experiencing on the various forums. There's a Veloster thread on NASIOC's OT where a couple members are complaining about their rear brakes locking up randomly/intermittently, the sunroof shattering, rear hatch leaks, misrepresented mpg, etc.

All that being said, I would have bought a Veloster Turbo if I didn't find this BRZ.
infinite012 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to infinite012 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2013, 04:20 PM   #10
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Between those two, I'd go with the Focus ST because it offers the better driving experience.

But if he can wait, I'd suggest the mk7 GTI when it gets here. I've got a mk6 GTI and it is great for people looking for a sporty daily driver. The mk7 is already earning praise from reviewers who've driven it in Europe.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2013, 04:37 PM   #11
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Thanks for all the opinions, guys, makes me feel better about the membership here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
If he doesn't want a twin, he should get a used GTI or wait a year and get the new GTI or new WRX. The Veloster is a mediocre performer with no clearance for a helmet. It will also cost way too much to own since it will lose value quicker than the others.
He isnt planning on doing anything more than driving a little spirtedly and back and forth to work. Nothing that will require a helmet, but good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite012 View Post
Read up on all the issues Veloster and Veloster Turbo owners are experiencing on the various forums. There's a Veloster thread on NASIOC's OT where a couple members are complaining about their rear brakes locking up randomly/intermittently, the sunroof shattering, rear hatch leaks, misrepresented mpg, etc.

All that being said, I would have bought a Veloster Turbo if I didn't find this BRZ.
Again, he's not planning on racing the car, so the likelyhood of the brakes locking up is pretty unlikely (assuming the NASIOC owners were auto-xing and racing). I'll tell him to keep an eye out for leaks and to be careful with the sunroof.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:50 PM   #12
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon78 View Post
Mazdaspeed3
He considered it, especially coming from an RX-8. But it was going to cost more than he was willing to spend (not sure what his limit was or how much the MS3 is) and he just likes the look of the ST and VT better.
The Following User Says Thank You to HunterGreene For This Useful Post:
leon78 (04-30-2013)
Old 04-29-2013, 04:52 PM   #13
Justin.b

Drives: 13 Hot Lava, 01 Miata, 09 Outback
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I was looking for a veloster Turbo before I got the FR-S. At the time, they didn't even know when they would have a test car available so I drove a regular Veloster, which has the same suspension as the turbo (I know... wtf?).

If he's coming from an RX8, he will not like the way the VT handles. Not at all. And there's not much out there in the aftermarket that will come close to addressing its handling shortcoming, IMHO.

I haven't driven the ST, but I've had a few regular Focii as rentals. I would like to try one with a manual transmission because they feel like thye could be a fun car.

On the interior, both cars are entirely too busy on the inside. More buttons than a 1980's component stack stereo. That said, I suspect the darker interior of the Focus will look less dated in a few years than the silver of the Veloster.

The RX8 was always more renowned for its handling than its power. How about a Mazda 2 / Fiesta? I've heard more than one Miata guy refer to the 2 as a four seat Miata. My wife wasn't interested in the 2/fiesta so I have only driven my brother in-law's automatic 2 - and I was just backing it into my garage to plug a tire.

-Justin
Old 04-29-2013, 05:00 PM   #14
ZetaVI
Gundam Meister

Drives: A Gundam
Thanked 1,010 Times in 510 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Personally, I prefer a Fiesta ST or Focus ST over the VT. I simply didn't got the experience I was hoping for in the VT. Test drive won't hurt a bit.
ZetaVI is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZetaVI For This Useful Post: