follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 09-28-2015, 01:57 PM   #225
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomis View Post
Guys i'm after some advice on my brakes. Before I did sandown I got a shop to do track prep service type deal and got among other things Penrite racing super DOT4 brake fluid. Rest of brake setup is stock.

Now it's like a week later and my brakes are still really soft feeling. My research online seems to suggest that is due to boiled brake fluid? Is it possible I boiled the Penrite fluid with stock setup ? Or are the stock pads and rotors ruined from heat.

On way home from work yesterday morning I could barely get ABS to trigger.

Heres pics of my front rotors 1 week later.
http://iforce.co.nz/i/hxmnfeta.awz.jpg
http://iforce.co.nz/i/kdkg2j1z.gmm.jpg
http://iforce.co.nz/i/h0pjunz2.yoc.jpg
http://iforce.co.nz/i/jipoe0oh.ayl.jpg

Both sides have groove that catch a fingernail but I'm not sure if that would affect the feel or not ?

Thanks
Your shop has no idea what they're doing if they let you set foot on track in this state, without some words of warning.
Your pads looks like they are smeared (cannot tell 100% without better pictures), and your fluid is boiled.

If you're going to the track, use race pads at the track, and upgrade to a better grade DOT4 fluid. We have several options.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:32 PM   #226
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Need advice... I have stock rotors only 4500 miles on them and a few track sessions. I purchased WinMax W2's F/R for DD/mild track. Should I prep the rotors? Like get them finish cut or something else?

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:02 PM   #227
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
Need advice... I have stock rotors only 4500 miles on them and a few track sessions. I purchased WinMax W2's F/R for DD/mild track. Should I prep the rotors? Like get them finish cut or something else?
Use them as-is. Bed your pads before your track day.

If you plan on doing more than one or two track days, you'll want to get a race pad for those weekends, and use the W2 for street duty.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
stevesnj (09-30-2015)
Old 09-30-2015, 02:26 AM   #228
nomis

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Your shop has no idea what they're doing if they let you set foot on track in this state, without some words of warning.
Your pads looks like they are smeared (cannot tell 100% without better pictures), and your fluid is boiled.

If you're going to the track, use race pads at the track, and upgrade to a better grade DOT4 fluid. We have several options.
Hey dude thanks for reply. I am in Aus

Those pics etc are from after Not before haha. I forgot to get pics of the pads. They still had plenty of meat left I'm not sure what smeared is though!
nomis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 03:41 AM   #229
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomis View Post
Hey dude thanks for reply. I am in Aus

Those pics etc are from after Not before haha. I forgot to get pics of the pads. They still had plenty of meat left I'm not sure what smeared is though!
You still have pad material left, but the larger issue is that you're totally overheating the pads!

Get a race pad of your choice!

While we'd love to earn your business, it probably wouldn't make sense to ship something to you internationally unless you're looking for a rather rare compound.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:59 PM   #230
stevesnj

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Use them as-is. Bed your pads before your track day.

If you plan on doing more than one or two track days, you'll want to get a race pad for those weekends, and use the W2 for street duty.
Yeh the W2's are fine. I bought F/R from you guys. Depending how serious I get these should be fine for now.

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
Old 10-07-2015, 10:25 AM   #231
Enthalpy

Drives: FR-S 10 Series/'93 RX-7
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Winmax W5

Brake Pad Manufacturer (F/R): Winmax/Winmax
Caliper (F/R): Stock/Stock

Rotor Size (F/R - IE OEM or specify): OEM/OEM
Compound (F/R): W5/W5
Tires: Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Got these pads for my first track day at MSR-Houston, and just tried them this past weekend at Texas World Speedway. LOVED them. On the street, it takes a few stops at neighborhood speeds for them to warm up enough to stop like stock. After a few more normal stops, they heat up enough to stop better than the stock pads at the same pedal pressures. I can use what feels like 30-40% less pressure to achieve the same stopping distance - again, on the street. They're hilariously loud, though.

On track, I never once experienced fade, but I'm at stock power. All of the instructors I've ridden with have asked me what pads I'm using, they all like the W5. I can trigger ABS with significantly less (guessing 40%) pedal pressure than stock. In addition to having good bite, I can let off the brake very smoothly, this pad setup has great modulation (imo, but I've done 4 total track days, so my opinion may not be worth much). I've never had issues trying to get the pads back up to temp before a corner.

Dusting looks to be average for a more track-oriented pad.

TL;DR: Love these pads. Great for a stock car on track, not so great on the street due to noise. There are probably louder ones out there, can't be by much though.

Scores:
Dusting (1=high-10=low): 3
Cold bite (1=low-10=high): 5
Hot bite (1=low-10=high): 9
Modulation (1=low-10=high): 9
Noise (1=extremely loud-10=quiet): 3
Pad Lifespan (1=short-10=long): (estimate/actual) 4/unknown
Does the brake dust with this combination damage the wheels/paint if not cleaned immediately? (Y/N) unknown, I'm on stock wheels which are hideous even when clean, so I don't wash them much
Brake ducts: (Y/N) N

PS: Thanks to @CSG David for getting me a great deal on these pads! I originally submitted an order for the W4, but David informed me that Winmax was not going to send them to the US anymore due to low sales. He suggested I try the W5, and offered them to me at no extra cost. Glad he did, I think I wouldn't like the W4 as much for track duty.
Enthalpy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enthalpy For This Useful Post:
CSG David (10-07-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 01:19 PM   #232
CSG David

Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
@Enthalpy Glad you enjoyed the pads. Please take some time to bed in the pads. The noise will subside significantly.
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 09:26 PM   #233
stevesnj

Finally got my brake fluid after 3 1/2 weeks, have both sets of pads, when I get my TRD springs i'm going to have a busy few days!!
Attached Images

My 2016 Build thread

Old 10-07-2015, 09:38 PM   #234
Enthalpy

I actually did follow Winmax's instructions, and I agree, it drops significantly. But they still make a good bit of noise compared to OEM. I also bedded these pads to new rotors (that I cleaned before bedding), and those rotors are only used with these pads. I keep my stock pads and rotors for daily duty.

On track, they only really squeal on initial bite. On the street, they squeal on initial bite, and when vehicle speeds start getting low and brake force is low.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enthalpy For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (10-08-2015), stevesnj (10-07-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 09:40 PM   #235
stevesnj

Apparently I need to do a few 75mph bedding runs...yikes.

My 2016 Build thread

The Following User Says Thank You to stevesnj For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (10-08-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 09:57 PM   #236
Enthalpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
Apparently I need to do a few 75mph bedding runs...yikes.
I'm using the W5, I doubt you'll have a noise issue with the W2. But yes, do properly bed the pads.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enthalpy For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (10-08-2015), stevesnj (10-07-2015)
Old 10-25-2015, 06:28 AM   #237
akyp

Drives: 2012 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Endless MX72

Brake Pad Manufacturer (F/R): Endless/Endless
Caliper (F/R): OEM/OEM

Rotor Size (F/R - IE OEM or specify): OEM/OEM
Compound (F/R): MX72/MX72
Tires: Dunlop Direzza ZII * in OEM size (215/45 R17)

While performance is decent, the dusting is just unacceptable! Will definitely try something else next trackday.

Scores:
Dusting (1=high-10=low): 1
The dust is RIDICULOUS. After just 3 hot laps the wheels (OEM) were completely dull. After two full days at the track (only did 40 laps) the wheels looked like they've never been washed since new. I've never seen a more dusty pad since I've sold my 2001 RenaultSport Clio.

Cold bite (1=low-10=high): 6
You won't have problems when pulling out of driveway on a winter morning, but if you don't warm them up, the first corner in a mountain drive can surprise you.

Hot bite (1=low-10=high): 8
Even without brake duct they are reasonably fade-free.

Modulation (1=low-10=high): 7

Noise (1=extremely loud-10=quiet): 7
Low noise if you have them properly bedded in.

Pad Lifespan (1=short-10=long): (estimate/actual)
I have yet to pull them out to inspect. Will update later.

Does the brake dust with this combination damage the wheels/paint if not cleaned immediately? (Y/N)
Fortunately no. The dust washed off with Sonax wheel cleaner.

Brake ducts: (Y/N)
None.

Last edited by akyp; 10-25-2015 at 06:47 AM.
akyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 11:01 PM   #238
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Brake Pad Manufacturer (F/R): Carbotech / Project Mu
Caliper (F/R): Stock
Rotor Size (F/R - IE OEM or specify): Stock
Compound (F/R): XP10 / HC+ 800
Tires: 235 Nitto NT05, then 225 BFG Rival

Feedback: My first set of XP10's lasted 6 track days, now on my second set. Pretty happy with them. Initial hot bite feels immediate and fairly strong, but easily modulated. I only get minor fade after 2-3 hard laps in intermediate and advanced HPDE groups. They don't wear the rotors much, but seem to get pretty hot based on the heat checking I'm seeing. There is some smear on the outer edges of the rotors, so I will step up to XP12's next.

Note - dust levels are moderately high and there is a light but constant squeal when braking on the street.

Scores:
Dusting (1=high-10=low): 8
Cold bite (1=low-10=high): 6
Hot bite (1=low-10=high): 8
Modulation (1=low-10=high): 7
Noise (1=extremely loud-10=quiet): 5
Pad Lifespan (1=short-10=long): 4
Does the brake dust with this combination damage the wheels/paint if not cleaned immediately? (Y/N) No
Brake ducts: (Y/N) No

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote