follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 01-04-2024, 05:25 PM   #183
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by makinen View Post
It seems like that the spring rates matters.
Did you end up doing the 3.8k gt86 rear springs?
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 07:14 PM   #184
grippgoat

Drives: 2023 BRZ, 2018 Golf R 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Could ride height change be from tightening bolts with the links at a severely not-ride-height angle?

-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to grippgoat For This Useful Post:
DocWalt (01-17-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 07:19 AM   #185
makinen

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalpb View Post
Did you end up doing the 3.8k gt86 rear springs?
I did install 4.0k GR86 rear springs.
makinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 12:16 PM   #186
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,242 Times in 2,963 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by grippgoat View Post
Could ride height change be from tightening bolts with the links at a severely not-ride-height angle?

-Mike
I was thinking this as well. I fully replaced my trailing arm with the STI pillowball arm when I did my MCA install, which at least means the front point is free. Unfortunately I didn't measure ride height before install because I was making a bunch of changes and resetting anyway.

I wonder if tightening an OEM trailing arm with the rubber bushings at both ends while at full droop for install changes things enough (binds up) to impact ride height that much. Not sure.

- andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 02:36 PM   #187
norcalpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsu333 View Post
Nope - I was still on the stock Performance Pack suspension when I installed the MCA Traction Mod, and no ride height change occurred (I did measure before and after).

Could be the GP Sports version alters the geometry in some other way? No idea...
It totally could…maybe the new trailing arm mounting location is closer or further away relative to old mounting location causing the sag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grippgoat View Post

-Mike
To be honest I did forget to tighten with load on the suspension so this is a very interesting point. I’ll go back under soon and see if I can loosen/re-tighten with the appropriate load.

Quote:
I did install 4.0k GR86 rear springs.
How are you liking that spring rate? I imagine it’s similar to the oem STi springs which would mean we have another oem+ option on our hands. Did you notice a drop at all when you did your Traction mod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
I was thinking this as well. I fully replaced my trailing arm with the STI pillowball arm when I did my MCA install, which at least means the front point is free. Unfortunately I didn't measure ride height before install because I was making a bunch of changes and resetting anyway.

I wonder if tightening an OEM trailing arm with the rubber bushings at both ends while at full droop for install changes things enough (binds up) to impact ride height that much. Not sure.

- andrew
Man this was what I was afraid of lol. But my non-educated theory would be that if I tightened the bushing’s bolt with the suspension at full droop, that the associated pre-load would actually raise the car? I have 1/4” risers getting here on Monday but I’m going to try and re-do the subject bolts before I dismantle my alignment to install the risers.
Old 01-07-2024, 12:55 AM   #188
makinen

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
How are you liking that spring rate? I imagine it’s similar to the oem STi springs which would mean we have another oem+ option on our hands. Did you notice a drop at all when you did your Traction mod?
F 2.7k BRZ springs
R 3.4k MY17 -> 4.0k GR86 springs
FSB 18mm stock
RSB 15mm Impreza or MY17

The ride height changes with loads are manageable. Before installing the Traction Mode, I was worried about the saggy butt with loads, since my rear diffuser has a small gap from the parking lot stoppers. The up-rated rear springs make it manageable.
After installing the Traction Mode, I noticed a squat angle on launches, but it disappears quickly. I think the springs suppress the squat angle.
The ride comfort is the same or softer even with the up-rated springs. But the stock Sachs dampers (from MY17) sometimes fail to dampen the oscillations from the road surface at a certain frequency (usually high freq.).
The rear is more responsive but not too much. I guess it would be too rear-biased if I used those springs without the Traction Mode. I like the current settings.

Without a spare tire or a jack in the trunk, the static ride height was not changed or only slightly changed. But the ride height changes when loaded are almost the same even with the up-rated rear springs. It means that just sitting in the driver seat could make it lower than before without changing the spring rate.

Before the installation:
Name:  20220512_102944-.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  263.4 KB

After installing 4.0k springs at the rear and the Traction Mode.
Name:  20230823_103129-.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  294.3 KB
makinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to makinen For This Useful Post:
norcalpb (01-07-2024)
Old 01-07-2024, 04:02 PM   #189
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
@norcalpb I installed rear lca in the air, put it on the ground measured - loosened, tightened, remeasured (ride height, alignment) and saw zero difference. On this car at least having the suspension loaded when torque is negligible imho.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (01-07-2024), x808drifter (01-07-2024)
Old 01-07-2024, 11:51 PM   #190
norcalpb

Quote:
F 2.7k BRZ springs
R 3.4k MY17 -> 4.0k GR86 springs
FSB 18mm stock
RSB 15mm Impreza or MY17

The ride height changes with loads are manageable. Before installing the Traction Mode, I was worried about the saggy butt with loads, since my rear diffuser has a small gap from the parking lot stoppers. The up-rated rear springs make it manageable.
After installing the Traction Mode, I noticed a squat angle on launches, but it disappears quickly. I think the springs suppress the squat angle.
The ride comfort is the same or softer even with the up-rated springs. But the stock Sachs dampers (from MY17) sometimes fail to dampen the oscillations from the road surface at a certain frequency (usually high freq.).
The rear is more responsive but not too much. I guess it would be too rear-biased if I used those springs without the Traction Mode. I like the current settings.

Without a spare tire or a jack in the trunk, the static ride height was not changed or only slightly changed. But the ride height changes when loaded are almost the same even with the up-rated rear springs. It means that just sitting in the driver seat could make it lower than before without changing the spring rate.

Before the installation:
Attachment 223569

After installing 4.0k springs at the rear and the Traction Mode.
Attachment 223570
Good info thanks for this. It sounds like what you did should be the minimum level of modification to compensate for the softer rear end. If my 5mm drop is permanent I've decided to go forward with the 1/4" saggy butt spacers to have the same fender to ground measurement front to rear. My rear springs are 5.1K.

It may be just the angle of your photos, but the after picture does seem to show a 5mm rear drop like mine? 5mm is extremely subtle, like 80% of 1/4 inch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
@norcalpb I installed rear lca in the air, put it on the ground measured - loosened, tightened, remeasured (ride height, alignment) and saw zero difference. On this car at least having the suspension loaded when torque is negligible imho.
Yeah I agree. I actually just loosened all 4 of my trailing arm bolts and drove down the street and back. After tightening them all with the car on the ground my rear ride height is still 5mm lower than before the GP Sports installation.
Old 01-08-2024, 09:06 AM   #191
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Good info thanks for this. It sounds like what you did should be the minimum level of modification to compensate for the softer rear end. If my 5mm drop is permanent I've decided to go forward with the 1/4" saggy butt spacers to have the same fender to ground measurement front to rear. My rear springs are 5.1K.
Remember a 1/4 inch spacer in the rear means more than a 1/4 inch change in ride height due to the motion ratio. I'm just being a jerk at this point lol.

(I don't know if the companies that make spacers keep that in mind...like if 1/4 inch refers to the spacer thickness or the resulting change in height.)

- Andrew

Last edited by Racecomp Engineering; 01-08-2024 at 04:52 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
DocWalt (01-17-2024)
Old 01-08-2024, 11:41 AM   #192
norcalpb

Quote:
Remember a 1/4 inch spacer in the rear means more than a 1/4 inch change in ride height due to the motion ratio. I'm just being a jerk at this point lol.

(I don't know if the companies that make spacers keep that in mind...like if 1/4 inch refers to the spacer thickness or the resulting change in height.)

- Andreww
Another excellent point lol. The 1/4” spacers are indeed 1/4” in height. Would you recommend not installing them? The reason I want to install them is I carry roughly 200lbs in my trunk for track days (tent, tent weights, tools) and I don’t want to worry about scraping my diffuser.

I scraped my baby pulling out of a Starbucks last week and it scarred me…
Old 01-08-2024, 04:53 PM   #193
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Another excellent point lol. The 1/4” spacers are indeed 1/4” in height. Would you recommend not installing them? The reason I want to install them is I carry roughly 200lbs in my trunk for track days (tent, tent weights, tools) and I don’t want to worry about scraping my diffuser.

I scraped my baby pulling out of a Starbucks last week and it scarred me…
You'll be okay with the spacers.

- Andrew
norcalpb (01-10-2024)
Old 01-10-2024, 08:49 AM   #194
whataboutbob
AutoX-10/10ths every run

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Firestorm
Thanked 1,840 Times in 1,000 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

- Andrew

https://www.mathwarehouse.com/trigon...a-equation.php

[ Delicioustuning | Counterspacegarage | RS-R USA | Cusco USA | SPL Parts | ACE Header | Stark Performance | Infinite Motion | Ciro Racing | Build thread:Here ]
[ GR Corolla Core in White w/LSDs on wish list ]
whataboutbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whataboutbob For This Useful Post:
norcalpb (01-10-2024), Racecomp Engineering (01-10-2024)
Old 01-11-2024, 03:12 PM   #195
Racecomp Engineering

Just an FYI, the Cusco Power Brace Rear Member Side (965 492 RS) does not fit if you have the MCA traction mod...because duh...that should have been obvious.

BTW I'm selling a Cusco Power Brace Rear member side if anyone is interested. Derp.

- Andrew
Tatsu333 (01-11-2024)
Old 01-11-2024, 08:17 PM   #196
whataboutbob
AutoX-10/10ths every run

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Firestorm
Thanked 1,840 Times in 1,000 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Just an FYI, the Cusco Power Brace Rear Member Side (965 492 RS) does not fit if you have the MCA traction mod...because duh...that should have been obvious.

BTW I'm selling a Cusco Power Brace Rear member side if anyone is interested. Derp.

- Andrew

I "adjusted" mine to fit. :P

[ Delicioustuning | Counterspacegarage | RS-R USA | Cusco USA | SPL Parts | ACE Header | Stark Performance | Infinite Motion | Ciro Racing | Build thread:Here ]
[ GR Corolla Core in White w/LSDs on wish list ]
whataboutbob is offline   Reply With Quote