follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 12-21-2012, 04:19 PM   #15
bestwheelbase

Drives: 1985 P-Type
Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,098 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmookher View Post
someone sell me a BRZ RC please..

bestwheelbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:41 PM   #16
gmookher
Banned

Drives: VortechSC,BorlaEL,Perrin,GCRace
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
awesome..thanks, now to get this to Santa in time...
gmookher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:09 PM   #17
Nitro

Drives: 2013 Firestorm Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
any RC Car people know if this is a decent value at $230 or is it marked up a lot because you buy it from Scion?
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:20 PM   #18
bestwheelbase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
any RC Car people know if this is a decent value at $230 or is it marked up a lot because you buy it from Scion?
It uses their E10 chassis. Here's a link that shows what their other E10 kits are going for. Looks like they start around $182.

I'm telling you guys -- these look cool but you will get more bang for the buck by building your own kit.

With these you are limited to their pre-painted bodies. Where is the fun in that?
Old 12-21-2012, 07:06 PM   #19
blur
ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Drives: E36 5.7 V8
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
If it were RWD it would just do donuts, you'd never get it moving enough to go anywhere.

I cant wait to set up a proper RWD RC drift car. I just gotta set up the real one first

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2msdfIgiXQ"]hobby garage RC Drift 2012.07.21&22 RWD(2WD) test - YouTube[/ame]
Old 12-26-2012, 10:57 AM   #20
UltraFRS

Drives: FR-S
So here's what my wife got me for Christmas. I've got to put it together, paint it, and buy some of the electronics for it...but I think it'll be fun.
UltraFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to UltraFRS For This Useful Post:
bestwheelbase (12-27-2012)
Old 12-26-2012, 12:47 PM   #21
YourFearlessLeader
Team ScioNRG President

Drives: 2017 WRB BRZ
Garage
loving my hpi frs!! its very cool... not sure ill get into the hobby but its all good
Old 12-26-2012, 02:10 PM   #22
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
That is awesome man, love the "xenons" and the functional turn signals. I see what you mean about the power:weight ratio. I didn't realize RC cars had that little grip. Back when I was a kid, I used to have a RWD Team Losi car, I don't remember it being that tail happy though.
As someone else already said, it has super hard drift tires. They're basically hard plastic tires, and have very little traction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blur View Post

I cant wait to set up a proper RWD RC drift car. I just gotta set up the real one first
Have you driven an RC drift car yet? I've driven mine which is awd, no one way and same gear ratio on both axles, and I've also driven one with a pretty extreme "counter steer" setup (over drives the rear axle so the rear tires are always spinning faster under power) and unless you have LOTS of experience the counter steer setup is a huge handful, basically impossible to drive straight with. Pure RWD would be even worse if you're running hard tires (needed to slide). It has been done, but it's hardly something that is popular. You would see a lot more rwd drift kits if it was really better. Just for the record I'm not new to the hobby either, I've been racing off road stadium trucks since I was 8.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:20 PM   #23
MarkRacerX

Drives: 12' Evo X , prior 1st 86 FR-S
HPI E10/ Sprint 2 bodies

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestwheelbase View Post

With these you are limited to their pre-painted bodies. Where is the fun in that?
It comes w/ pre-painted body, but you can still get a plain shell to custom paint for it, has the height adjustment for various bodies that fit E10 or Sprint 2 I know offhand :happy0180:

Fun car, def want a quick charger and more batteries for those people considering/ new to RC Cars!
08' STi, 04' 350Z, 04' STi, 02' WRX. 96' GSR, 04' SE-R/SpecV
MarkRacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:28 PM   #24
bestwheelbase

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkRacerX View Post
Fun car, def want a quick charger and more batteries for those people considering/ new to RC Cars!
Yep, absolutely! It sucks waiting around for your lone battery to charge. Multiple packs = nonstop fun!

One day I will post my charging rig. I can charge a half dozen packs simultaneously, and super fast.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:12 PM   #25
jshadeck

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout 6MT
Drive ur real frs while waiting
Old 12-26-2012, 05:35 PM   #26
Supermassive

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Garage
Well I've had a Tamiya GT86 body on my Team Associated TC6.1 ever since they came out, and have yet to run into anyone else with the body where i run mine. For those wondering, no it's not cheap, you could buy the Scion RC branded RC car for what i paid for just my speed control, but I got bit by the RC bug hard!

This thing will hit about 45 actual mph and will drift with the best of them...AWD drifting is pretty fun!
Supermassive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:33 PM   #27
blur
ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Drives: E36 5.7 V8
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Have you driven an RC drift car yet? I've driven mine which is awd, no one way and same gear ratio on both axles, and I've also driven one with a pretty extreme "counter steer" setup (over drives the rear axle so the rear tires are always spinning faster under power) and unless you have LOTS of experience the counter steer setup is a huge handful, basically impossible to drive straight with. Pure RWD would be even worse if you're running hard tires (needed to slide). It has been done, but it's hardly something that is popular. You would see a lot more rwd drift kits if it was really better. Just for the record I'm not new to the hobby either, I've been racing off road stadium trucks since I was 8.
I own 2 nitro savages and have already experimented with a nitro RWD Rs4. It's all about preference, not about what is "better" or "popular". And the guy in the vid clearly had no issues keeping up with the 4wds, I dont understand how you can write it off because it takes skill... learning is half the fun!
Old 12-27-2012, 01:45 AM   #28
bestwheelbase

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraFRS View Post
So here's what my wife got me for Christmas. I've got to put it together, paint it, and buy some of the electronics for it...but I think it'll be fun.
Awesome gift! If you need any help along the way, post or PM us. We've been running TT-01 variants for a long time. Very familiar with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermassive View Post
Well I've had a Tamiya GT86 body on my Team Associated TC6.1 ever since they came out, and have yet to run into anyone else with the body where i run mine.
Very cool! But for the novices reading this, let's be clear... @Supermassive is running a more advanced kit designed for competitive racing. You do not have to spend that kind of money ($400 just for the bare chassis) to have fun in this hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blur View Post
I own 2 nitro savages and have already experimented with a nitro RWD Rs4. It's all about preference, not about what is "better" or "popular". And the guy in the vid clearly had no issues keeping up with the 4wds, I dont understand how you can write it off because it takes skill... learning is half the fun!
Nitro stuff is different because the cars are heavier and react differently to input. @wparsons was simply clarifying that AWD is a very common setup for drifting rc cars. The drift tires (i.e. plastic tubing) are easily controlled with an AWD platform. Lots of people have rc cars that look like a 2-wheel drive body (example: FRS), but the chassis is actually AWD (example: the HPI & Tamiya kits we've been discussing). People new to the hobby might be confused by this, so it's worth clarifying.

Also, in those videos posted earlier -- those were all AWD cars.