follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 06-03-2016, 07:44 PM   #1
treminaor
"DGM BRZ"

Drives: 2016 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Loud squeaking coming from trunk area

I keep hearing intermittent squeaking noises coming from somewhre in the trunk area - it happens any time the frame of the car is shifting (i.e. going over bumps or grade changes in a road, etc).

It sounds like a high pitched squeak similar to the sound of foam or rubber rubbing against a smooth surface. It's so loud I hear it over normal volume music.

My first thought was it must be the foam tool holders under the floormat in the back - so I removed them all temporarily. I still hear squeaking.

Next I thought it must be the spare tire rubbing against the metal frame of the car - so I removed the spare temporarily. I still hear squeaking.

Sooner or later I'm going to get desperate enough to have someone else drive the car while I root around the trunk listening for where the noise is coming from.

Has anyone else experienced this noise and found the culprit? I didn't hear this when I bought the car, it started within the last few thousand miles.
treminaor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:54 PM   #2
Sigh-on-Rice
Waited 5 years for this

Drives: '18 MX-5 Club
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Maybe your tail light rubbing on the bumper? Try press the rear bumper right below the tail light and see if you can recreate the noise.
Sigh-on-Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:57 PM   #3
treminaor
"DGM BRZ"

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigh-on-Rice View Post
Maybe your tail light rubbing on the bumper? Try press the rear bumper right below the tail light and see if you can recreate the noise.
I hear noise from the bumper flexing against the fender but it's not really the noise I've been hearing. No noise from the tail lights when I press.

Also tried pressing on the top of the taillights themselves - they don't move at all.
Old 06-03-2016, 08:02 PM   #4
Sigh-on-Rice
Waited 5 years for this

Drives: '18 MX-5 Club
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by treminaor View Post
I hear noise from the bumper flexing against the fender but it's not really the noise I've been hearing. No noise from the tail lights when I press.

Also tried pressing on the top of the taillights themselves - they don't move at all.
I see. I had squeaking noise from tail light rubbing the bumper after I had the tail light replaced for condensation problem. I thought you had the same problem since I saw your avatar having after market tail light. For me, only driver side was making the noise and not the passenger side. So, I knew it wasn't normal. If it's normal, then both side should make the noise.
Sigh-on-Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:25 PM   #5
treminaor
"DGM BRZ"

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigh-on-Rice View Post
I see. I had squeaking noise from tail light rubbing the bumper after I had the tail light replaced for condensation problem. I thought you had the same problem since I saw your avatar having after market tail light. For me, only driver side was making the noise and not the passenger side. So, I knew it wasn't normal. If it's normal, then both side should make the noise.
Ha, yeah good catch. I put the lights in myself and made sure I got the bolts nice and tight, so that's probably not the issue although it was a good thing to check. I've been racking my brain trying to think what rubber parts are in the trunk area and I hadn't thought of the light gaskets yet.