follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Marketplace > Members Classifieds > Cars for Sale/Trade

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 12:17 AM   #1
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
Salvage FRS - Who wants a racecar?!?

EDIT: Car is being rebuilt into track car, hopefully will compete in Spec86 next season! As such, it is no longer for sale.

Hey guys!

My beloved FRS is up for sale due to some unfortunate circumstances. The car was involved in a front-end collision and as such, was written off. Additionally the car has hail damage from a storm from a while back, and as such, there are a number of dents everywhere. Many of you guys have seen this car at the various meets/events and if you know me, you know this car gets taken care of. The car is a project for sure, but could be a solid race car candidate or repair candidate in the right hands. If the car doesn't sell as a whole unit, I'll begin taking it apart and separating the bits for a part out, but until then, the car will go as one unit.

The car has ~43k miles on it, and has been meticulously maintained. Oil changes by myself every 3k miles, and Motul Gear 300 in the Trans and Diff at ~20k miles. Car ran beautifully prior to the accident and made 195whp on E85 at PTuning's dyno at the last 86Expo.

Damage is to the front end, and will need a new bumper, core support, hood, fenders, headlights, side markers, turn signals, bumper cover, radiator, AC condenser, air box, and possibly ABS unit. The frame looks okay but will need closer inspection to determine exactly what needs to be done. Strut towers are perfectly fine though as the damage doesn't go that far back. Both wheels are straight and the car rolls and steers fine. The steering wheel air bag was the only one that went off and as such, will need to be replaced as well. Car has a Salvage Title (if that wasn't apparent already).

The car has stock header-back exhaust, but there is currently no catback, as I took my Perrin catback off and do not have the stock one. Also, the car will be on stock wheels and not the Gram Lights shown below.

I'm asking $6500 obo.

Car is located in Chicago, Illinois.

Onto the pictures!

Update 11-10-15

The car runs and drives!! Wooooooo!!! It starts up just fine and drove around. It's gonna need new O2 sensors and a MAF, but other than that it's solid. Obviously the car was in limp mode, but it still drove like a champ.

I began taking the car apart and taking better photos! I haven't finished removing all of the core support, but you can see the more of the frame now. Sorry for the leaves, it's fall in the windy city...

Driver's Side Frame Rail

Pass' Side Frame Rail

You can see that this frame rail is slightly pushed in, so it probably needs some attention.

The whole bottom part of the frame/core support is totally intact as it was completely missed.

Motor is in great shape. The accessory belt was slightly frayed and but it totally intact and works.

ABS Unit took a hit, but it looks intact. I don't think the unit itself is damaged, but the connector has a couple torn wires, but it shouldn't be too tough to repair.

You can see the strut tower area was totally unharmed and the alignment is dead straight!

Now for the dents! Like I said, this car has hail damage all over! This car isn't ever going to be a show queen. But becoming a race car has always been written in it's destiny...

All of these dents are from one hailstorm in Mississippi. If you guys remember the YouTube video with that lady shouting "KAPOOYAH KAPOOYAH", this was that same hailstorm.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by Guff; 06-22-2016 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:21 AM   #2
kanundrum

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 3,016 Times in 1,711 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
dat expo sticker... RIP.
Guff (11-04-2015), M-17 (11-06-2015)
Old 11-04-2015, 09:11 AM   #3
Mrc@ptuning

Drives: S1000RR
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sorry to hear about what happened to your car. At least you didn't put our turbo system on it before the accident. So what now, another FRS/BRZ or prius
The Following User Says Thank You to Mrc@ptuning For This Useful Post:
Guff (11-04-2015)
Old 11-04-2015, 09:18 AM   #4
fourvalleys
Howdy!

Drives: Party ST, Classic Mini
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Did I meet you at Autobahn this spring? I think I remember your hail dimples... Shame to see it in this condition.

I'd be mighty tempted if I had space and knew a little bit more about the condition of the mechanical bits. I just got my car back from the body shop and it's hard to believe how quickly the repair costs add up.

Good luck selling it!
The Following User Says Thank You to fourvalleys For This Useful Post:
Guff (11-04-2015)
Old 11-04-2015, 12:16 PM   #5
Guff

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc@ptuning View Post
Sorry to hear about what happened to your car. At least you didn't put our turbo system on it before the accident. So what now, another FRS/BRZ or prius
Yeah, definitely was good that it happened before. And I think my next car depends on you guys... You think we can turbo a Prius?

Jokes aside, I definitely will be getting back into an FRS. Hopefully the turbo will come very soon after as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourvalleys View Post
Did I meet you at Autobahn this spring? I think I remember your hail dimples... Shame to see it in this condition.

I'd be mighty tempted if I had space and knew a little bit more about the condition of the mechanical bits. I just got my car back from the body shop and it's hard to believe how quickly the repair costs add up.

Good luck selling it!
Yes, You did! Were you with the Upper Midwest crew? Also, why didn't we talk about Minis?!? I have that 1959 VTEC Mini that has a build thread somewhere in the Journals section...
Old 11-04-2015, 05:40 PM   #6
dvasqu01

Drives: Scion FRS Whiteout
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I see le supra in the back 😍😍😍😍🙌🏽🙌🏽🙌🏽

I'll give you the rice noodle😘
The Following User Says Thank You to dvasqu01 For This Useful Post:
Guff (11-04-2015)
Old 11-05-2015, 01:27 PM   #7
fourvalleys
Howdy!

Drives: Party ST, Classic Mini
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guff View Post

Yes, You did! Were you with the Upper Midwest crew? Also, why didn't we talk about Minis?!? I have that 1959 VTEC Mini that has a build thread somewhere in the Journals section...
I never put two and two together that that was you! I've been debating the swap on my Mini, but that little incident I mentioned sort of changed those plans...

Where is the Mini? Still down south?
The Following User Says Thank You to fourvalleys For This Useful Post:
Guff (11-05-2015)
Old 11-05-2015, 01:45 PM   #8
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Reported for failure to follow rules by posting proof of ownership of the car with username and date.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89147

Come on Itchi temp ban for sure.
finch1750 (11-10-2015), Guff (11-05-2015), M-17 (11-06-2015), raven1231 (11-05-2015), strat61caster (11-06-2015)
Old 11-05-2015, 01:45 PM   #9
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Hey @Guff did you buy it back from insurance? Just curious why you are selling not them.
Guff (11-05-2015)
Old 11-05-2015, 02:31 PM   #10
Guff

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourvalleys View Post
I never put two and two together that that was you! I've been debating the swap on my Mini, but that little incident I mentioned sort of changed those plans...

Where is the Mini? Still down south?
Yup, still down south! The Supra has grown to become a way bigger project than before, so I'm keeping the Mini down south for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Reported for failure to follow rules by posting proof of ownership of the car with username and date.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89147

Come on Itchi temp ban for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Hey @Guff did you buy it back from insurance? Just curious why you are selling not them.
@M-17 carved his name into the roof of the car two years ago, does that count?

And yes, I did buy it back! The insurance check was a little less than I wanted, so I figured I could just buy it back, clean it up a bit, and either sell the car or part it out to make up some of that money.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Guff For This Useful Post:
fourvalleys (11-05-2015), M-17 (11-06-2015), Tcoat (11-05-2015)
Old 11-05-2015, 04:07 PM   #11
jwvand02

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
sorry if this is a painful question - but what happened? I'm guessing you hit the back of a tractor trailer seeing as the hood is that badly torn up but most of the rest of the damage seems pretty superficial.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:25 PM   #12
Guff

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwvand02 View Post
sorry if this is a painful question - but what happened? I'm guessing you hit the back of a tractor trailer seeing as the hood is that badly torn up but most of the rest of the damage seems pretty superficial.
Hyundai Elantra actually, haha. Even with me at stock height, an Elantra is tall enough to only hit the upper 3/4 of the front end of an FRS... It was totally my fault, I wasn't paying attention in heavy rain and everyone slammed on their brakes in front and I didn't notice until I was well past the point of no return. I was only going about 35, but hey, that's modern crumple zones for you.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:36 PM   #13
SoCal80six

Drives: Asphalt frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
What mods are on the car?

Last edited by Guff; 11-05-2015 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:00 PM   #14
Guff

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal80six View Post
What mods are on the car?
The car will be totally stock sans clutch. I have removed the header and exhaust and will be keeping it for my next car. The car will have a stock header, over pipe, and front pipe, and no catback.

The only mod is a Competition Clutch Stage 4 Clutch Kit with lightweight flywheel. I put that on in preparation for boost and it has about 10k miles on it.

Closed Thread