follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 06-08-2013, 08:52 PM   #127
Sithspawn

Drives: '14 Hot Lava FR-S w/Flappy Paddles
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
Not really. .6 seconds isn't that aggressive of a shift. It's not a lazy shift but it's far from a power shift too. Can someone datalog the following? Run the car up near redline is 2nd, get off the gas, then floor it again, within .2-.6 seconds and see if this occurs then? I bet it does. I use that type of driving to set the car (or unsettle it) by moving weight around, etc...
I was doing some logging last night and got detonation coming off the throttle slightly. There is a huge portion of the transient ignition retard table that is not touched by Subaru. They only worked the low load, low rpm area and left everything else alone. I logged some detonation last night when coming off the throttle at moderate load. The stock TIR table wasn't even mapped for the load cells knock occurred. I completely rescaled the whole table and remapped it this afternoon and will be testing it out again tonight when it's cooler. Keep in mind that my previous mapping of the TIR only dealt with the high rpm, moderate/high load portion of the map in response to the TSB by Toyota. Digging deeper revealed more work needed to be done.

I have to admit that it's kind of frustrating to have to fix stuff like this before I can focus on making more power.
Sithspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sithspawn For This Useful Post:
Carwhisperer (06-09-2013), Stevo22 (06-09-2013)
Old 06-10-2013, 11:18 AM   #128
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithspawn View Post
I was doing some logging last night and got detonation coming off the throttle slightly. There is a huge portion of the transient ignition retard table that is not touched by Subaru. They only worked the low load, low rpm area and left everything else alone. I logged some detonation last night when coming off the throttle at moderate load. The stock TIR table wasn't even mapped for the load cells knock occurred. I completely rescaled the whole table and remapped it this afternoon and will be testing it out again tonight when it's cooler. Keep in mind that my previous mapping of the TIR only dealt with the high rpm, moderate/high load portion of the map in response to the TSB by Toyota. Digging deeper revealed more work needed to be done.

I have to admit that it's kind of frustrating to have to fix stuff like this before I can focus on making more power.
Any update? By the way was the knock reproduceable every time? How much of a knock correction were you seeing each time? Any chance you can post some graphs?
Old 06-10-2013, 11:23 AM   #129
Marrk

Drives: Honda Fit
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Just to be clear: This post is a discussion of the most recent reflash or software update as compared with the ECU software that came with the car? Have I followed you correctly?

Thanks!
Marrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:04 PM   #130
Hanakuso

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Has anyone made a DIY to look at the injectors? I'm curious if mine are damaged.
Hanakuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:20 PM   #131
Sithspawn

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
Any update? By the way was the knock reproduceable every time? How much of a knock correction were you seeing each time? Any chance you can post some graphs?
Once I remapped the whole transient ignition retard table, I no longer had knock and my IAM went from .7 up to .96 in short order. Before, it stayed at .7 and very slowly crept up to .8. It was only pulling 1 degree of timing and considering that Toyota thinks that knock is what is killing the injector seals, I'm not inclined to keep inducing knock to see how repeatable it is. My number 1 priority was to eliminate it altogether ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrk View Post
Just to be clear: This post is a discussion of the most recent reflash or software update as compared with the ECU software that came with the car? Have I followed you correctly?

Thanks!
No, this is not related to the latest flash. I haven't seen what the latest TIR table from Toyota looks like.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sithspawn For This Useful Post:
Marrk (06-10-2013)
Old 06-10-2013, 12:52 PM   #132
spitz

Drives: '13 SWP BRZ-L
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanakuso View Post
Has anyone made a DIY to look at the injectors? I'm curious if mine are damaged.
I, too, would be interested in this. I actually wouldn't mind creating one either, but I am waiting to see what Toyota/Subaru have in store before I go ripping stuff apart. I'm afraid that if I misalign all the factory paint smudges, they may say that I fiddled with it and decline my warranty service.

spitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:51 PM   #133
Carlysh

Drives: 2007 Mazda 3, New Raven FR-S 6mt
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
So guys one Question I looking to buy the Fr-s later this month or next month hopefully should i be worry of that when i drive plenty of miles i am gonna do the proper break in then i want to go to autocross and sebring because that is the reason i want to buy this car but I benn reading a lot about this issues should I be worry Should i tell the dealer the flash the ecu when i buy the car probably they aint gonna do it or let them know before buying the car that it may had the injectos issues Thanks Guy
Carlysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:29 PM   #134
Hanakuso

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitz View Post
I, too, would be interested in this. I actually wouldn't mind creating one either, but I am waiting to see what Toyota/Subaru have in store before I go ripping stuff apart. I'm afraid that if I misalign all the factory paint smudges, they may say that I fiddled with it and decline my warranty service.
I really hope they wouldn't do that..
Hanakuso is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hanakuso For This Useful Post:
spitz (06-10-2013)
Old 06-10-2013, 03:03 PM   #135
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlysh View Post
So guys one Question I looking to buy the Fr-s later this month or next month hopefully should i be worry of that when i drive plenty of miles i am gonna do the proper break in then i want to go to autocross and sebring because that is the reason i want to buy this car but I benn reading a lot about this issues should I be worry Should i tell the dealer the flash the ecu when i buy the car probably they aint gonna do it or let them know before buying the car that it may had the injectos issues Thanks Guy
cool, maybe, you can ask, don't know, you can try, good luck.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:07 AM   #136
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Once I remapped the whole transient ignition retard table, I no longer had knock and my IAM went from .7 up to .96 in short order. Before, it stayed at .7 and very slowly crept up to .8. It was only pulling 1 degree of timing and considering that Toyota thinks that knock is what is killing the injector seals, I'm not inclined to keep inducing knock to see how repeatable it is. My number 1 priority was to eliminate it altogether ASAP.

No, this is not related to the latest flash. I haven't seen what the latest TIR table from Toyota looks like.
Are you using BRZ edit?

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:53 PM   #137
Sithspawn

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
Are you using BRZ edit?
Yes, I am.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:32 PM   #138
wootwoot

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
So if I bought brz edit could I purchase a tune from you some how?
wootwoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #139
Carwhisperer

Drives: A lot of supercars.
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Try and keep this on topic please
Carwhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Carwhisperer For This Useful Post:
Marrk (06-11-2013)
Old 06-12-2013, 01:48 AM   #140
phm14
Loves the Smell of Track

Drives: '13 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by track_warrior View Post
Its summer and im 100% sure we will see tons of cars with blown engines or at least injector seal leaks because the heat will accelerate the process. Hopefully they start to take notice and do something about the stupid direct injection issue.

Yup, when it happened to me my car lost power and threw a code that went away when i regained power after 3 secs. After 2 minutes the car went into limp mode and threw 2 permanent codes.

Cant believe my engine died at 4K miles .
Did you have a FI kit on your car? Didn't you have a build thread on TJ?
phm14 is offline   Reply With Quote