follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-01-2013, 09:12 AM   #29
itsfun

Drives: SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I drove from DC to Boston round trip (900mi) and while the car was comfy the road noise became very irritating. It was sometimes hard to talk to my gf depending on the surface we were driving on (lots of shitty roads along the way). I'm looking into sound deadening the doors and rear quarter panels (dont care how much weight it adds). My longest trip was 7k miles from DC to LA to SF and back in less than two weeks in a Honda Fit. The Fit was great and comfy enough. I kept up with a 240sx on the Tail of the Dragon and did 115 on the Bonneville salt flats with it. I realize the difference between these two trips was cabin noise, it'll wear you out...
itsfun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to itsfun For This Useful Post:
bestwheelbase (02-10-2013)
Old 02-01-2013, 11:10 AM   #30
stealth_fighter

Drives: FA20Club ELH&CAI, MT,Tinted, Raven
Drove from El Paso, TX/ Ft. Bliss back home to Wisconsin. Was about 1400 miles and I had no complaints what so ever. Very comfy car for road trips.
stealth_fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:41 PM   #31
Dfideth

Drives: WhiteOut Auto
Went from Los Angeles to Lebanon, OR, then to San Francisco with the wife in rain and snow through northern Cali. We never spent more than 8 hrs at a time because of leaving late in the day. It was okay for being a fat dude that really cant fit in the seat. I did get up 34 mpg with the same tank i got nailed by CHP (Auto). The snow conditions f-ed up the paint on the car badly Time to F it up more, going to Willow Springs with it on Sunday
Dfideth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:53 AM   #32
FR-S/GT-86

Drives: 68MGBGT/93MiataLE/11Legacy
I am planning an LONG road trip in the spring for my FR-S. A friend is going to meet me in Denver, so I will drive the shitty portion of the trip from Chicago to Denver... but then we are all 2-lane mountain roads from there. We decided to do Rocky Mountain National Park, the Skyline Drive in SW Colorado to Mesa Verde, then through the central state to Garden of the Gods... and whatever else we find on the way. :-)

For anyone interested, I have also done several EPIC trips up and down the Blue Ridge Parkway, Tail of the Dragon, in TN/NC/VA... and all I can say is GO DO IT. I did it twice in my Miata and once in my former Porsche. I have never regretted a single mile of those trips.
FR-S/GT-86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-S/GT-86 For This Useful Post:
bestwheelbase (02-10-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 07:18 PM   #33
IceCreamMan
Decepticon

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S (Asphalt 6MT)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I've been on two road trips.

One from Tampa, FL to Baton Rouge, LA and back, then the other from Tampa, FL to areas of NC and SC and back.

The first trip was just fine but it was broken up by stops in the panhandle. The other trip the longest I was in the car was 8 hours non stop. As far as comfort goes, I have a u-shaped pillow that I use on airplanes and I brought that with me on the second trip and it helps with the head/neck support. With the room that they left for helmets on the headrest, the pillow closes the gap and definitely helps.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:30 PM   #34
Chupacabra
'it's the yeti of Texas'

Drives: 2013 Whiteout 6MT FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I drove from the Twin Cities down to Northeast Arkansas. It was a great drive for the route I took down.

If you can, drive twisties and avoid the interstate. The car tracks great at freeway speeds, but can be unforgiving on your back if you have lower back pain. When you're in the twisties you won't notice the distances you've covered.

I took the interstate back and regret it. Like I mentioned, the straight distances won't make you as happy as you think. Because of the nature of this car (small wheelbase, tossable platform) you will enjoy it, but your wife may complain about the choppiness it has at speed.

That's the only real issue I personally noticed in the 1500 mile trip.

Take it for these reasons:
  • Road trips are always fun
  • It'll reward you with superior gas mileage
  • You'll be able to say hi to your fellow FT86er's on your way

Chupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:41 PM   #35
bestwheelbase

Drives: 1985 P-Type
Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,098 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRiSson View Post
One of the joys of not traveling via the interstates is the plethora of authentic local places to pee, rest, eat, shop, photograph and take in the scenery. Best of all, you might find a road that is exciting to drive. That never, ever happens on the Interstate.
This. A thousand times, this.

Highways, rural routes, scenic byways, these are where road trip memories are made. Interstates are boring.

Recently I decided I want to ride or drive down to South America, so I am looking at different routes and figuring out whether to do it on motorcycle or by car. Funny detail: Googlemaps will not calculate the route from Nashville TN to Sao Paulo, Brazil. There's a gap in the road just past the Panama Canal. So I have been calculated the trip in two parts.
bestwheelbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:20 PM   #36
maxeveland

Drives: n/a
Noob question but where can I find these scenic routes that are not interstates because I am planning on a road trip from illinois to Florida through kentucky, tenn, and georgia. Anyone got an idea on where I can find these routes like on a website?
maxeveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:54 PM   #37
Chupacabra
'it's the yeti of Texas'

Drives: 2013 Whiteout 6MT FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxeveland View Post
Noob question but where can I find these scenic routes that are not interstates because I am planning on a road trip from illinois to Florida through kentucky, tenn, and georgia. Anyone got an idea on where I can find these routes like on a website?
I would just search via google maps or buy a road atlas at a bookstore and find a route that seems interesting.

I believe both feature topography within the map, so you can see differences in elevation and plan on going to those places.

Or you can head to the regional forums and see if there are any roads the locals recommend or would be willing to show you first-hand.

Last edited by Chupacabra; 02-11-2013 at 09:55 PM. Reason: add more info
Chupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chupacabra For This Useful Post:
robispec (02-12-2013)
Old 02-12-2013, 12:45 AM   #38
bestwheelbase

Quote:
@Chupacabra had good info, I will add...

1) www.nps.gov

2)
3) www.byways.org

I highly recommend the Natchez Trace Parkway from Tennessee to Mississippi. It is incredible. Hundreds of miles of gentle sweepers, beautiful scenery, and no 18-wheelers or fast food joints.
The Following User Says Thank You to bestwheelbase For This Useful Post:
Chupacabra (02-12-2013)
Old 02-12-2013, 11:59 PM   #39
bucket

Drives: 4 wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestwheelbase View Post
This. A thousand times, this.

Highways, rural routes, scenic byways, these are where road trip memories are made. Interstates are boring.

Recently I decided I want to ride or drive down to South America, so I am looking at different routes and figuring out whether to do it on motorcycle or by car. Funny detail: Googlemaps will not calculate the route from Nashville TN to Sao Paulo, Brazil. There's a gap in the road just past the Panama Canal. So I have been calculated the trip in two parts.
Darien Gap...you're probably not going to be able to drive across it.
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dari%C3%A9n_Gap"]DariƩn Gap - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:01 AM   #40
bestwheelbase

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucket View Post
Darien Gap...you're probably not going to be able to drive across it.
Right. Have you been there? Made the journey down the Pan-Am?! If so, I would love to chat offline at length.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:50 PM   #41
zaptorque

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Quote:
google maps
zaptorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:00 AM   #42
dietz

Drives: Raven / 6MT FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
In June I went from Albuquerque, to LA picking up my friend in Phoenix; the next day started off in the malibu canyons, up the PCH, along skyline drive, ending in SF. It was hands down the best day of driving ever. Next, out to Yosemite, then to vegas through the lonely roads of NV, and the last leg was home to ABQ. Got stopped in nowhere NV for going 84 in a 70 and the cop was just excited to see SOMEONE and told me to keep it under 80, haha.

My suggestion is to adjust the bottom of the seat to suit your legs, move the back up until your wrists hit the wheel when you're arms are outstretched, then LEAVE IT for the whole trip. When I mess around with the position my back starts to hurt, but if I just leave it where it is best, no problems at all. Oh and don't eat in the car and try not to have too many burritos along the way. Rainx the windshield too.
dietz is offline   Reply With Quote