follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 05-26-2010, 02:42 PM   #1
Siriusly.Andrew

Drives: 1995 Civic DX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hyundai Veloster

Quote:
Following the successful launch of the rear-wheel drive Genesis Coupe, Hyundai is now focusing on the development of a front-wheel drive replacement for the Tiburon sports coupe which is known simply as the Coupe in Europe and other markets. In an interview with Inside Line, Hyundai Motor America's CEO John Krafcik revealed some juicy new details on the forthcoming small coupe which he claimed will look 70-80 per cent like the Veloster Concept that was unwrapped at the 2007 L.A. Show.

Krafcik said that the production version of the Veloster, which by the way, is among the names being considered for the new model, will pack a surprise bodystyle feature never seen before in the category. "It might be doors or a unique roof or something with the hatch. But it won't be like anything out there before in the small car segment."

In terms of size, Krafcik mentioned that the Tiburon's successor will be quite compact. "It's Accent-sized. Think of it like a 4-passenger Honda CRX," he said. "It'll be a little car you can take out and ring its neck and still get good mileage. Fun and economical, with a great power to weight ratio."

In a previous interview back in March, the American CEO had revealed that the Veloster would be offered with a 1.6-liter 4-cylinder petrol engine. This time Krafcik went into more details. "It'll be powered by a 1.6-liter four cylinder with Direct Injection making 140 hp. And it'll get over 40 mpg US (5.8lt/100km or 48mpg UK)," he told IL.

We're guessing that in other markets such as Europe and South Korea Hyundai will most likely offer the Veloster with diesel engines also, maybe even with the Korean firm's new 184HP 2.0-liter oil-burner that is available on the 2010 facelifted Santa Fe.

"There's just nothing out there right now with that kind of Eco-sport positioning" said Krafcik adding that the Veloster will arrive at Hyundai's dealerships before the end of 2011.
http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2009/07...pe-coming.html

more companies are treking into FT-86 territory. Toyota better do something fast, or the first concept to light the fires is going to be the last to launch.
Siriusly.Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 05:08 PM   #2
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,051 Times in 8,326 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriusly.Andrew View Post
more companies are treking into FT-86 territory. Toyota better do something fast, or the first concept to light the fires is going to be the last to launch.
I totally agree. Toyota better do or update quickly or they gonna loose all the light weight sports car fans...
Old 05-27-2010, 06:17 PM   #3
RWDJunkie

Drives: P.O.S.
This is getting really frustrating. The FT-86 is the first 2+2 I've even remotely considered owning. But lack of news on the FT-86 and an approaching rise in fwd coupes is really turning me off. I'm starting to lean towards the Genesis coupe.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:32 PM   #4
mrtodd
Techmology.

Drives: Scrapped project EH2
I don't know about you guys, but i really am taking an interest with the veloster.

1.6 liters, lightweight hatch, direct injection... Sounds like an excellent aftermarket turbo candidate.
mrtodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:08 PM   #5
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,051 Times in 8,326 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtodd View Post
I don't know about you guys, but i really am taking an interest with the veloster.

1.6 liters, lightweight hatch, direct injection... Sounds like an excellent aftermarket turbo candidate.
Now question is the price tag
Old 05-30-2010, 01:30 PM   #6
EyeZer0

Drives: 2011 Honda Fit Sport
It's already been practically confirmed the Veloster will get a Turbo and a Dual Clutch Six Auto a little bit after the base model gets released in a similar pattern to where the Sonata was released and the Sonata Turbo and Hybrid will be released soon. Reports so far that this is a FWD vehicle for now(only because this car will sit on an Accent platform which is only FWD) but they have been caught doing a lot of testing in the Artic Circle so a AWD might be feasible and bring a rally style hot hatch to the Hyundai lineup. The main competitors pinned for Hyundai as the cars it wants to beat is the CR-Z/CR-X (in terms of making a more fuel efficient car that is lightweight but still fun) and the tC in drawing in an even younger crowd then what the Genesis Coupe draws in. Prices probably will be 15k for the base and somewhere below 22k for the Turbo as it will slot in below the Genesis Coupe base 2.0T which is around 23k.

If I were to get a hot hatch this would definitely be it.
2+2 Seating/3+1 Door Style Hatch(The +1 is a smaller passenger door only on the passenger side also is the unique body style mentioned in the original article)
Base 1.6 DI 138 HP 40MPG Freeway
Turbo 1.6 DI 180-200 HP (Rumored)
Weight will probably be around 2400 lbs as the current Hyundai Accent weighs about 2500 lbs. Weight reduction for the new Sonata was around there as well.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/26/s...-off-interior/

Best look we have of it so far in the love it/hate it Limerock Green. Also the camoflague makes it look really square and bulky but Hyundai's new universal design dictates that it will have a lot of creases to make it seem flowing also have a lower coefficient of drag probably around .28

Last edited by EyeZer0; 05-30-2010 at 01:55 PM.
EyeZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:12 AM   #7
Siriusly.Andrew

Drives: 1995 Civic DX
My only qualm with this car is FWD. AWD sounds pretty cool, and a 200hp 1.6l turbo wouldn't be to bad imo. It couldn't be to much bigger than my old Rio, and weight around 2500 would be nice too. My 2004 Kia Rio weighed in at 2160lbs or so, at the scale with a nearly empty tank.

I know Hyundai has received a lot of flak in the past for "cheap cars being cheap" but I've always found that their "cheap" cars aren't cheap, just inexpensive. Reliable to the point of any car, if you drive it like an old Ford Tempo (you must have had friends with one, who always drove it with the pedal to the floor to make it move) something is bound to break at some point. Fortunately they are inexpensive to repair as well. At least with my experience with my Kia (I know, different companies... same shit different pile, think Chevy vs GMC).

As much as I'd love to drive a new Toyota 86, If they can't keep the car near original specs and price, I might have to pass, despite my "do want" feelings / tendencies.
Siriusly.Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:40 AM   #8
mrtodd
Techmology.

Drives: Scrapped project EH2
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeZer0 View Post
If I were to get a hot hatch this would definitely be it.
Well said. You and me both, it seems.

Factory boosted makes all my own potential mods even cheaper and easier to perform. And the price tag? Amazing! This thing seems much further along than the FT, at the moment. That being said, I may pick this up for my replacement FWD project hatchy, then see how the production version of the FT86 looks afterwords... Hmm...

For me, all that's left to be seen is if it shares that horrid torsion beam suspension of the Accent. If that's the case, then, well, it's a no go for me.
mrtodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:51 PM   #9
EyeZer0

Drives: 2011 Honda Fit Sport
http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...llCars/250263/

Veloster is now being poised as a VW Scirocco competitor in Europe where they have even done retooling to get the double doors on the proper RHD side for passengers in the UK. Also production debut should be in Paris in September. This all equals to me a person who loves the Scirocco design and wished they brought it here to the states a big plus and hopefully the styling is equal or greater to the Scirocco.
EyeZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:02 PM   #10
TrackMonk

Drives: Hyundai Genesis
Hyundai Veloster

Saw the photos of the Veloster today. Its a front wheel driver but to me looks like a cross between the new Audi A1 and a Mazdaspeed 3. Might be another cheap fun car.

Found some pics of the production Veloster here http://www.apextuner.com
TrackMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:29 PM   #11
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
This is a fourm for those who are wanting/wainting for the ft86

go away
Mr.Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:10 PM   #12
xantonin
Mr. Detail

Drives: 2003 Celica GT-S
Well to be fair, this is the "Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions" forum.

But on that note, I'm not impressed by the Veloster in any way.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:25 PM   #13
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xantonin View Post
Well to be fair, this is the "Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions" forum.

But on that note, I'm not impressed by the Veloster in any way.

lol I totally missed that my bad sorry for the rude post then

totally thought OP was a bot or one of those people who advertise their own shit for no reason
Mr.Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:08 PM   #14
Niche79

Drives: '01 AND '91 Honda Preludes
The front and side isnt bad, but the back end is ugly, needs to be touched up and smoothed out some. Just too many curves etc.
Niche79 is offline   Reply With Quote