follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 05-19-2014, 08:46 PM   #113
NYC BRZ
AutoX Addict

Drives: 08 Pontiac G8 GT,13 GBS BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Alright guys I'm finally picking a set of CS tires this week. Hankook RS3 V2 or Dunlop Z2. I spoke to Sam Strano (multi time SCCA national champ) and he is convinced the RS3 V2 needs a wider width that what we can fit on the 7" wheel to be effective. I had Z2s last year that I autox'd on and daily drove on and they were great. I plan on doing the same with the RS3 V2s. Thoughts?
2013 BRZ Limited- GBS - 6MT -VIN #0937
~~NYR SCCA # 18 C Street R (CSR)~~
"But there’s no mistaking the noise. This car is loud, and not in a particularly nice way. There’s no crisp exhaust note, no induction wheezing. It’s just the sound of petrol exploding in a metal box." - Jeremy Clarkson
NYC BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:48 PM   #114
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC BRZ View Post
Alright guys I'm finally picking a set of CS tires this week. Hankook RS3 V2 or Dunlop Z2. I spoke to Sam Strano (multi time SCCA national champ) and he is convinced the RS3 V2 needs a wider width that what we can fit on the 7" wheel to be effective. I had Z2s last year that I autox'd on and daily drove on and they were great. I plan on doing the same with the RS3 V2s. Thoughts?
Did Sam say why? At any rate, it is surface/weather/setup dependent.
renfield90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:39 AM   #115
G_Ride

Drives: Some kind of Subaru
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Smile

Quote:
Like renfield90 said, it's surface/weather/setup dependent. What kind of surfaces and weather do you usually see for your events?
G_Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:41 PM   #116
Kido1986
Dodging cones

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited, 93 Z28
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
If you're going to DD the same tires, Z2 all the way. RS3 like to heatcycle out, assuming the V2 is similar in behavior. Z2s also handle cooler and wetter wether better than RS3.

I LOVE the Rs3 but it like a lot of camber, and we can't provide that. When I go STX, RS3 will be my weapon of choice but I'm stay on Z2s while running Street
Originally Posted by mrbillclintong View Post
If you guys spot any riced frs/brz post them here just for laughs no hating please.
Isn't there already a thread like this? It's called aggressive wheels or summat...
C Street Build/Progress Questions about C Street Autocrossing?
Kido1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:39 PM   #117
DylanFRS
Lost in Kansas

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS (Raven)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kido1986 View Post
I LOVE the Rs3 but it like a lot of camber, and we can't provide that. When I go STX, RS3 will be my weapon of choice but I'm stay on Z2s while running Street
I agree with this.
DylanFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DylanFRS For This Useful Post:
NYC BRZ (05-20-2014)
Old 05-20-2014, 04:55 PM   #118
AustinTX
Pawn in game of life

Drives: 19 STX BRZzz
I will report my thoughts between the Z2 and RS3 on a CS BRZ after the next event. I've been on the 235 Z2's for 3 months, and I'm switching to 245 RS3V2's.
G_Ride (05-20-2014)
Old 05-20-2014, 09:25 PM   #119
NYC BRZ
AutoX Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by renfield90 View Post
Did Sam say why? At any rate, it is surface/weather/setup dependent.
Sam is convinced we don't have the wheel width necessary to stuff an RS3 large enough on there to be 100% effective. I agree that wheel width is this car's CS Achilles heel. I don't have the experience on the RS3 to say yay or nay. Unfortunately the RS3 V2 is too new and I can't find any reviews on folks who have daily driven on them.
"But there’s no mistaking the noise. This car is loud, and not in a particularly nice way. There’s no crisp exhaust note, no induction wheezing. It’s just the sound of petrol exploding in a metal box." - Jeremy Clarkson
Old 05-20-2014, 09:29 PM   #120
NYC BRZ
AutoX Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Ride View Post
Like renfield90 said, it's surface/weather/setup dependent. What kind of surfaces and weather do you usually see for your events?

Pretty loose asphalt surface. The Z2s were great last year I've just been thinking about switching it up to try something new. I was going to go Rivals but I can't DD them. Supposedly the V2s are supposed to have a better operating range and are better in the wet than the V1s.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:13 PM   #121
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Sam is convinced we don't have the wheel width necessary to stuff an RS3 large enough on there to be 100% effective. I agree that wheel width is this car's CS Achilles heel. I don't have the experience on the RS3 to say yay or nay. Unfortunately the RS3 V2 is too new and I can't find any reviews on folks who have daily driven on them.
I guess the only way I see that happening is that the slightly softer sidewall is soft enough to ruin the gains you get by stuffing more tire than you should. Mr. Hale's test should be very enlightening.
renfield90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:00 AM   #122
SeanRTR
C-Street AutoX

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I was going to go Rivals but I can't DD them. Supposedly the V2s are supposed to have a better operating range and are better in the wet than the V1s.
Why not? Z2's will apparently heat cycle out over time with street miles. I've not noticed a drop off in performance whatsoever in full depth rivals,.to chorded rivals. Those that think you're going to die if you drive rivals in the rain, are either fueled on estrogen, or just bad drivers in general. Daily driving rivals is fine, I don't get it.
SeanRTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:18 AM   #123
G_Ride

Drives: Some kind of Subaru
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Pretty loose asphalt surface. The Z2s were great last year I've just been thinking about switching it up to try something new. I was going to go Rivals but I can't DD them. Supposedly the V2s are supposed to have a better operating range and are better in the wet than the V1s.
I've had two events on the RS3 v2 and so far it seems to be true about the lower operating temperature. I still don't know about Hankook's better wet traction claim. It's been very dry in the California Bay Area.
G_Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:42 AM   #124
rx3

Drives: BRZ
I think I read somewhere that different rim diameters are going to be allowed in stock class (next season)?
Has anyone considered to run on 16" instead of 17" rims?
A taller 245 tire on a 7" wide 16" rim would be less pinched and therefore possibly deliver more grip (as opposed to a 17" rim).
(I understand that the sidewall would flex more, but this could be overcome by turning sooner).
rx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:09 AM   #125
neurokinetik

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Firestorm
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanRTR View Post
Those that think you're going to die if you drive rivals in the rain, are either fueled on estrogen, or just bad drivers in general. Daily driving rivals is fine, I don't get it.
This is also true of the Hankook RS3, whether old or new version. Even at temperatures down into the high to mid 30's, and dry pavement, the old RS3s still provided significantly more traction than a set of Blizzaks, which is what I run the "other" six months out of the year. Rain does not become a problem until you've got them worn to a pretty shallow tread depth, but that holds true for any tire.

At least they don't have to be shaved to not self-destruct during autocross or track time, that is what makes for a bad daily driver tire, IMO.
neurokinetik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 01:48 PM   #126
DylanFRS
Lost in Kansas

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS (Raven)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neurokinetik View Post
This is also true of the Hankook RS3, whether old or new version. Even at temperatures down into the high to mid 30's, and dry pavement, the old RS3s still provided significantly more traction than a set of Blizzaks, which is what I run the "other" six months out of the year. Rain does not become a problem until you've got them worn to a pretty shallow tread depth, but that holds true for any tire.

At least they don't have to be shaved to not self-destruct during autocross or track time, that is what makes for a bad daily driver tire, IMO.
Agreed. Some people don't seem to understand that there is a difference between optimal grip on an autocross course and adequate grip for driving on the street.
DylanFRS is offline   Reply With Quote