follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-22-2012, 08:55 AM   #813
tachi1247

Drives: 04 BMW 330i & 03 Mazdaspeed Protege
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayvelliott View Post
AGREED! if its as good as you say it is...but i remember the last time i drove a 2010 model and it was suppose to be 300hp ...that thing felt like a pos honda civic...hoping the exterior improvements match the engineering improvements....

other then that $25k for a scion frs! haha HELLO...pre-owned bmw 335i coupe

jeremy out...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion FR-S View Post
You (and those like you) keep MISSING THE WHOLE F$%^ING POINT of this car, despite endless posts addressing this misconception. IT IS NOT INTENDED TO COMPETE OR COMPARE with the likes of a GC, it serves a very different primary purpose as a "pure" sports car. Your implicit attempt to compare it to a GC is similar to arguing that a Boxster competes/compares with an Audi S4. Yes the latter is a good handling and lively sports sedan but it is NOT a sports car, and the two feel very different when behind the wheel and address largely differing needs/desires.

A true sports car with GC-class acceleration is just not viable at this price point, you'd need to go north of $30k to find one (370Z), and even that car probably does not handle as well as the ToSubie.
Hate to break it to you but the gc is definitely a sports car. The s4 is a sports sedan and does hit a different demographic, but the gc, v6 mustang, etc are all sports cars that are direct competition for the frs and brz.

Perhaps it is you that is missing the point. Quit spending so much effort trying to hold this car up on this pedestal you've created and take a step back and be objective.

In the end, nearly all the buyers of this car aren't going to be able to notice any of the jandling differences between this car and a 370z or gc during anything but on track driving which a vast majority of these cars will never see.
tachi1247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:57 AM   #814
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2kphile View Post
Having owned and driven an S2000 you are correct that it's a better overall car in terms of balanced and fun factor.
How the hell would you or anyone else know this? Aside from a few auto journos who have wrung it out around a track for a few laps (and raved about it), nobody has even driven it!
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:01 AM   #815
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by titusdrake View Post
...with my earlier statement i was referring to used performance cars
Fair enough, although I'm guessing that some of the issue with performance cars is to be expected based on how you drive them. I've owned a few I consider in that category, and my rules still apply. Then again, I never took them to the track, nor did I regularly drift them (mainly because "in my day" drifting was something bums did from town to town, or your buddy did and you knew he was drunk because he couldn't race in a straight line).

God, I'm old.....
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:02 AM   #816
Sport-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachi1247 View Post
Hate to break it to you but the gc is definitely a sports car. The s4 is a sports sedan and does hit a different demographic, but the gc, v6 mustang, etc are all sports cars that are direct competition for the frs and brz.

Perhaps it is you that is missing the point. Quit spending so much effort trying to hold this car up on this pedestal you've created and take a step back and be objective.

In the end, nearly all the buyers of this car aren't going to be able to notice any of the jandling differences between this car and a 370z or gc during anything but on track driving which a vast majority of these cars will never see.
Do a little research, lots of folks who have driven the GC know it's not a sports car based on their experience - read some reviews. And on your latter point, I think you're only reflecting poorly on your own inability to discern differences in driving experience that would be clear to most after 10 minutes behind the wheel. The GC is at best a GT - that is the general consensus (outside of the GC fanboi community, of which you are clearly a charter member).
Old 03-22-2012, 09:03 AM   #817
DantKR

Drives: Subaru BRZ LT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
You (and those like you) keep MISSING THE WHOLE F$%^ING POINT of this car, despite endless posts addressing this misconception. IT IS NOT INTENDED TO COMPETE OR COMPARE with the likes of a GC, it serves a very different primary purpose as a "pure" sports car. Your implicit attempt to compare it to a GC is similar to arguing that a Boxster competes/compares with an Audi S4. Yes the latter is a good handling and lively sports sedan but it is NOT a sports car, and the two feel very different when behind the wheel and address largely differing needs/desires.

A true sports car with GC-class acceleration is just not viable at this price point, you'd need to go north of $30k to find one (370Z), and even that car probably does not handle as well as the ToSubie.
Man, talk about hyping the shit out of something. I love this car as much if not more than most people here and have been following this car for 5 or 6 years and have been follow the Japanese car scene for a while(haven't as much the past few years to be honest). This is no more a "pure" sports car than the GC to be honest. They're pretty damn comparable. This is a sporty 2+2 just like the GC with it's specs in different areas. Off the lot there are not very many "sports" cars.
DantKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:04 AM   #818
NERO

Drives: 2012 Honda Ruckus
It's funny that people are complaining over $2K when automotive experts have said this is nearly the best car they've ever driven. Really? Stop eating at McDonalds every week and the price difference is paid for. They're not going to change it because they know it's worth the money.

The same thing happened when the WRX and STI came out. Everyone said they could get the Mustang and other cars so much cheaper. The key word their is cheaper. There will also be something cheaper, shir I can go buy a Hyundai Elantra but I doubt it's going to give me the performance I'm looking for.

Last edited by NERO; 03-22-2012 at 09:38 AM.
NERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:07 AM   #819
Sport-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by titusdrake View Post
as far as the "sports car" i agree, the FR-S feels fantastic to drive and thats what counts, u can sit on forums all day discussing this car and that car and this car has better numbers for the same price, but when it comes down to it buy which car makes you FEEL the best. you know what i mean?
Exactly. I was lucky enough to experience that difference first hand as a teenager, as my father had both a 911 and a vintage GTO - the difference was night and day.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:10 AM   #820
A Gomez

Drives: Celica
Quote:
Do a little research, lots of folks who have driven the GC know it's not a sports car based on their experience - read some reviews. And on your latter point, I think you're only reflecting poorly on your own inability to discern differences in driving experience that would be clear to most after 10 minutes behind the wheel. The GC is at best a GT - that is the general consensus (outside of the GC fanboi community, of which you are clearly a charter member).
So, you are saying "Drink the cool ade I am drinking, shut up and buy one already?"
A Gomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:11 AM   #821
Sport-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by DantKR View Post
Man, talk about hyping the shit out of something. I love this car as much if not more than most people here and have been following this car for 5 or 6 years and have been follow the Japanese car scene for a while(haven't as much the past few years to be honest). This is no more a "pure" sports car than the GC to be honest. They're pretty damn comparable. This is a sporty 2+2 just like the GC with it's specs in different areas. Off the lot there are not very many "sports" cars.
Care to explain in what way this is NOT a sports car? This should be interesting!
Old 03-22-2012, 09:13 AM   #822
Sport-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Gomez View Post
So, you are saying "Drink the cool ade I am drinking, shut up and buy one already?"
It's the GC fanbois that are drinking the Koolaid I'm afraid - I would never buy a ToBaru without driving it first, but the rave reviews from everyone are rather unprecedented (and were certainly not the case for the GC).
Old 03-22-2012, 09:16 AM   #823
DantKR

Quote:
Care to explain in what way this is NOT a sports car? This should be interesting!
For the exact same reasons the GC isn't.

Just fyi, I really didn't like the GC. Didn't feel right to me. I'm hoping that the BRZ feels better and I'll probably throw down for it.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:16 AM   #824
Sport-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Then again, I never took them to the track, nor did I regularly drift them (mainly because "in my day" drifting was something bums did from town to town, or your buddy did and you knew he was drunk because he couldn't race in a straight line).

God, I'm old.....
LOTD!
Old 03-22-2012, 09:17 AM   #825
DantKR

Quote:
It's the GC fanbois that are drinking the Koolaid I'm afraid - I would never buy a ToBaru without driving it first, but the rave reviews from everyone are rather unprecedented (and were certainly not the case for the GC).
No kidding? A car company puts out their first sports coupe and they didn't get everything right. Shocker.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:17 AM   #826
sjd

Drives: 2010 Mazda MX-5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tachi1247 View Post
As someone who daily drives an MX-5, I know what a sports car is supposed to feel like. The Mustang and GC aren't sports cars. Both are large, heavy cars with the steering feel/feedback of a cheap gaming wheel. Sure they have horsepower and are quick in a straight line but neither one will handle like the 86. I do agree that a lot of people will cross shop them though.
sjd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012 scion fr-s, 2012 scion fr-s price, 2012 scion fr-s pricing, 2013 fr-s price, 2013 fr-s pricing, 2013 frs price, 2013 scion fr-s, 2013 scion fr-s price, fr-s, frs, price, pricing, scion fr-s pricing, scion fr-s retail price, scion frs price, scion frs pricing, scion frs retail price