follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 01-14-2013, 05:22 PM   #1
alrashwa

Drives: '12 370Z Monterey Blue
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Made my drama on the FRS side, want some Subaru expertise and feedback.

I've had a bout of bad luck with my FRS, so I'm in the process of arbitration. Posted my story on the FRS side asking for some feedback. Also want to know your opinions on the WRX or Focus ST, etc. as a replacement. Can you convince me that I can trust another Subaru built vehicle? My light lurking of Subaru forums, I've heard a lot about rings/oil issues with the impreza.

I should have done this in the beginning, I'm guessing a lot of you have experience with other Subaru Models. Any feedback is appreciated! Will be posting my aftermarket/OEM parts in the classifieds when I'm in the clear.
alrashwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:16 PM   #2
chanomatik
Snow Don't Hurt!

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT CBS
Thanked 1,497 Times in 902 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
I'm the previous owner of a 2011 WRX Limited. I sold it the same day I bought my BRZ. My WRX was okay, but it was sorely lacking compared to the STI. I also had a 2005 STI.

My WRX had the shift fork for 3rd & 4th gear replaced. I got refunded by Subaru of America. That happened this summer. I also had the clutch replaced around 20k. It would get stuck sometimes and burn out. Having owned the STI and a 2008 Forester Sports XT 5-speed manual before the WRX, I can honestly say that the WRX transmission SUCKS. And, no, my driving does not suck. haha

I was looking at the Focus ST before my BRZ arrived. Ironically, I parked next to one at a hockey game on Friday:

I was also eyeballing the Hyundai Veloster Turbo and test drove a used 2009 Mazdaspeed 3 back in 2010 before I picked up the WRX. In the end, FWD (and the bad rep of our sole Ford dealer) is what deterred me. They're fun, little cars, and have some practicality, but nothing you drive will handle like the FR-S/BRZ. I'm sorry that you had a bad experience with your FR-S, but I've been enjoying my BRZ so much that I can't imagine going back to turbo lag and sloppy handling.

If you're going to bother with the WRX/STI, PLEASE either buy a GD chassis STI or wait for 2014/2015MY WRX/STI.

Let me know if you have any specific questions about modding and such. I've made several threads and such on NASIOC/AKIC since I've owned 3 turbocharged Subarus.

Oh yeah, also, I NEVER worried about the engine in my WRX. It was strong. I had Cobb short ram intake, Cobb gutted catless downpipe and a tune. The power was AMAZING.
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chanomatik For This Useful Post:
alrashwa (01-14-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 06:17 PM   #3
Z3D

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Now don't bash me for not convincing you to stay with Subaru but...

After reading your posts on the other side I would say a brand change might be a nice change of pace for you. I don't really know your exact budget but it sounds like you might like a BMW 135i. They can be had used for a pretty good deal and most of the used ones have had major problems sorted out (read:calipers). Try and find one of these and take a spin. If you like speed, that 135i will blow you away.

I hope this helps you!
Z3D is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Z3D For This Useful Post:
alrashwa (01-14-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 06:21 PM   #4
alrashwa

Quote:
If you're going to bother with the WRX/STI, PLEASE either buy a GD chassis STI or wait for 2014/2015MY WRX/STI.
Do you think the 2014/2015 WRx/STI will look better than the stock Gen 4 imprezas coming out now? The latest body style makes me cringe. Reminds me waaay too much of a Hyundai econobox.

Last edited by alrashwa; 01-14-2013 at 06:39 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:22 PM   #5
alrashwa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3D View Post
Now don't bash me for not convincing you to stay with Subaru but...

After reading your posts on the other side I would say a brand change might be a nice change of pace for you. I don't really know your exact budget but it sounds like you might like a BMW 135i. They can be had used for a pretty good deal and most of the used ones have had major problems sorted out (read:calipers). Try and find one of these and take a spin. If you like speed, that 135i will blow you away.

I hope this helps you!
Thanks I'll look into that as well! I don't favor Subaru or any particular brand, just trying to get a feel for the experience of other Subaru Owners. Lots of people on the subaru forums agree with chanomatik about the GD chassis being superior to the current one, but I guess there is room to debate.

Last edited by alrashwa; 01-14-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:34 PM   #6
Dorb

Drives: 16 LM STI/13 LM BRZ/04 AVALANCHE
I too was looking at the Focus ST3, but could never drive one. It was even harder to find then the BRZ. So ended up getting the BRZ Nov. 3rd and love it. Kinda convinced myself the ST3 is still a" Focus" and unless you got the tangerine scream,you really have to look close to tell them apart to notice the ST. A guy in town has a Black one, it really just blends in, but maybe that's what he wants, I really wanted something different that everyone else does not have.(Camaro/Mustang) Plus its front wheel drive - puke! (but I like the 252hp I must say)
Dorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:45 PM   #7
alrashwa

Yeah I don't know if I want the attention of the Tangerine yellow, but the blue looks pretty nice. In my head I've been contending with the idea of FWD. The FRS/BRZ handles like a dream, but it just been so unpredictable.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:50 PM   #8
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Make Toyota/Scion buy you another car! Sounds like you got a dud. Other cars I considered besides the BRZ/FR-S were the 370Z, 135i, S2000, and Cayman S (all used of course). WRX's are fun; I've got plenty of friends who drive them, but they're definitely just a "tarted-up econobox" by comparison. I wouldn't waste my time/money on a FWD platform; just look at my avatar!

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:51 PM   #9
86'd

Drives: 2012 WRX Sedan
The WRX/Focus ST and FR-S/BRZ are pretty different.

I own a '12 WRX Sedan.

The WRX, even though its a pretty sporty sedan, won't "feel" like the FR-S at all.

In the WRX, the seating position is a bit higher, shifter feel is pretty "slushy" stock, but can "fixed" with a short shift kit and heavier knob.

The seats are OK, steering feel is OK, throttle response/lag is evident (again compared to the FR-S).

Though on it's own merits, for a street car the WRX is great. It's fast in a straight line and isn't a slouch in the corners (despite body roll/understeer). It's also AWD. And IMO sounds better than an FR-S stock.

Oh, and the space. The 5 door has more than the 4 door obvs. But I have the sedan for the looks and the space and its been working out well.

Problems:

Rattles, poor stereo (can be fixed somewhat by fiddling with settings), a bit noisy compared to other cars in the segment (transmission whine, turbo whine, exhaust noise; but I like it).

Eventual AWD maintenance, a bit earlier clutch replacement and tires.

Rare problems:

Ringland issues. Were primarily found on STIs and primarily on the first year 08 models.
From what I understand it was from detonation, from the car running lean at higher RPMs. These issues (stock) have been happening less and less, and affected mostly STIs.

If it does happen and you aren't modded, this would be covered under warranty. However with WRXs, especially the newer ones, I don't see it as a big deal.

Transmission issues:

Throwout bearing noise, I've found it's inconclusive. A lot of people on Subie forums say it's normal.

"Glass Transmission" also inconclusive IMO. Drive like a jack@$$ and/or learning how to drive stick and you'll ruin almost any tranny. Add Stage 1/2 power and you're adding to the risk even more.

Granted there are problems not caused the user, I just think these are more rare than you think. In short I don't think there is anything to worry about.

----

I like the Focus ST. It's FWD and I've heard that the TQ steer is still there despite the electronics to keep it at bay. The seats seem better, and the interior seems a bit better than the WRX as well.

But you'd want to test drive them to see which one you like better.

I personally lean towards AWD or RWD vehicles, especially when it comes to higher powered cars.
86'd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 86'd For This Useful Post:
alrashwa (01-14-2013), chanomatik (01-14-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 07:57 PM   #10
alrashwa

Really appreciate the detailed feedback 86'd
Old 01-14-2013, 08:09 PM   #11
chanomatik
Snow Don't Hurt!

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT CBS
Thanked 1,497 Times in 902 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrashwa View Post
Do you think the 2014/2015 WRx/STI will look better than the stock Gen 4 imprezas coming out now? The latest body style makes me cringe. Reminds me waaay too much of a Hyundai econobox.
Subaru is claiming in very few words that the next WRX/STI will be built strictly for performance purpose, which is different than trying to add performance onto an economic platform like the Impreza. Subaru claimed the current Impreza is a success because developing it they didn't have to keep the WRX/STI in mind, knowing that they were going to be separated. Whatever that means in the REAL world, no one knows. Subaru is really good at keeping secrets. So, to answer your question, I personally believe the next WRX/STI WILL be something desireable. The current Impreza is designed for maximum fuel-efficiency. I actually enjoy the current Impreza, except the side mirrors, but they're actually fun to drive, even with CVT!

I like what 86'd said. The WRX sound is AMAZING! I had a Nameless Performance muffler-delete axleback along with the Cobb gutted downpipe and everyone LOVED the sound. I'm hoping to capture some of that with my custom exhaust for my BRZ that I'm having made.

He also reminded me that I pre-ordered my WRX with the "STI" short shift linkage assembly, so the shifting was always nice, except for the 3rd and 4th gear, which were always especially notchy. I thought it was normal until the shift fork went out, but then was replaced. After the replacement the car felt like MAGIC! Unfortunately, I had already gone back to stock the same time I had the shift fork replaced, so I never experienced my WRX to its completeness.

The current WRX really isn't a bad value and I think they're gorgeous, but I would rather shoot for the STI for the transmission alone. It's just robust.

I agree that the Focus ST kind of blends in too much. That's why I like the Subaru brand. They're distinct.
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:29 PM   #12
alrashwa

Quote:
I agree that the Focus ST kind of blends in too much. That's why I like the Subaru brand. They're distinct.
Funny thing around here at least, I see a ton of WRX's and a good amount of STi's rolling around. Snow country and all. Dont think I've seen a single late model focus that I can recall, but I'm sure they're around. I agree with the potential to fade in with the econo focus though.
The Following User Says Thank You to alrashwa For This Useful Post:
LivingLegend (01-14-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 08:51 PM   #13
LivingLegend

Drives: 1994 Toyota Tercel
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I moved from Ohio to Oregon and in Ohio its all DSMs, SRT-4s, Camaros, and everyone and their grandparents owned mustangs. Once I moved to Oregon its all subies!
LivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:53 AM   #14
brewksy

Drives: 2011 Subaru STI
I seem to recall that Subaru separated the WRX from the Impreza line in their most recent iteration because the base Impreza was often "over-engineered" to accommodate the STI model's power output/performance. For example, the base model engine might have gone through more rigorous testing to ensure it would perform well at 100-200hp, as well as 300hp.

Removing this "backwards-compatibility" of just being a high- performance version of a basic econobox, a few things could happen:
1) Durability and reliability of the base model may be compromised
2) The base model may be cheaper to produce/test and therefore have a lower price
3) The performance version (STI) should be engineered for performance from the ground up instead of needing to overcome the base model's inefficiencies

As for recommendations? I love my 2011 STI. A few little problems (every car has them), but I've been very happy with my purchase. However, do not buy an STI if your only interest is "only performance". The STI package (HB) is perfect for someone that wants performance, utility, AWD safety, AND reliability. It is probably one of the only vehicles that hits all of those requirements solidly and delivers a smile on your face at the same time.

As for Ringland issues, completely irrelevant. The issue is overblown on forums. If you're concerned about repairs, buy one with a warranty and if not, buy a used one. I went new only because I don't have the time to do my own car work.

Hope that helps . Oh, and never listen to chano - he lives in Alaska
brewksy is offline   Reply With Quote