follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 06-08-2013, 01:03 AM   #1
xdbuix

Drives: 2013 Galaxy Blue Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
reverse lights

Basically, I got rear ended by another driver. One of my reverse lightbulbs came loose and is sitting around in the lightbulb housing area. Any suggestions on how I can get to the bulb out so I can reinstall it? Thanks!
Old 06-08-2013, 01:09 AM   #2
ft86me

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
well if you can get the rear peice off you could take some small needle nose and get the bulb to center by the hole and maneuver it to come out. otherwise, it's going to be pretty tough without being able to move that housing around.perhaps a very fine 90 degree pick with something VERY sticky at the end will work? harbor freight has pick sets for stupid cheap
ft86me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:11 AM   #3
mrlewistan
Driver of FR-S 1467

Drives: 2013 scion frs 001467
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
well... best just take it off and shake it out. but if you want to try something different, make a straw noose. just make a loop that goes through a straw. dip it into the hole and fish for the bulb. once the string is around the base, pull on the string to close the loop.
mrlewistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:35 AM   #4
Skywgn1

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S (manual)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Open the trunk. There are four nuts if I remember. Take them off and be careful not to let them drop because they will end up in your trunk lid. (Not that I would know this. You can then take off the piece that has the Scion emblem and from there you can reach the mounts for the license plate lights. Do what you need....I just re read your post. Sorry. Open the trunk. Take out your trunk mat. Remove the plastic rivets from the center piece. Remove said piece. There will then be 2-4 more on the side piece. You can then fold it back. Use a 8mm socket to remove the nuts from the tail lights. You will also need to remove one or two wire mounts that attach to the bolts on top of the nuts. Carefully remove the tail light and be sure to unplug it from the wiring harness. Once out, you can then remove the reverse light bracket and fish out the bulb. When you install everything be sure that you tighten the nuts onto the assembly pretty good. Don't break them but if they are loose you end up with moisture in the tail light. Good luck.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:42 AM   #5
mrlewistan
Driver of FR-S 1467

Drives: 2013 scion frs 001467
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywgn1 View Post
Open the trunk. There are four nuts if I remember. Take them off and be careful not to let them drop because they will end up in your trunk lid. (Not that I would know this. You can then take off the piece that has the Scion emblem and from there you can reach the mounts for the license plate lights. Do what you need....I just re read your post. Sorry. Open the trunk. Take out your trunk mat. Remove the plastic rivets from the center piece. Remove said piece. There will then be 2-4 more on the side piece. You can then fold it back. Use a 8mm socket to remove the nuts from the tail lights. You will also need to remove one or two wire mounts that attach to the bolts on top of the nuts. Carefully remove the tail light and be sure to unplug it from the wiring harness. Once out, you can then remove the reverse light bracket and fish out the bulb. When you install everything be sure that you tighten the nuts onto the assembly pretty good. Don't break them but if they are loose you end up with moisture in the tail light. Good luck.
the reverse lights are not part of the tails. the tail holds running, stop, and turn signals. the reverse light is down in the center of the bumper to each side of the red triangle reflector (or rear fog light on the brz)
mrlewistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:43 AM   #6
husker741
Banned

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion FR-S 6MT
Thanked 4,183 Times in 1,415 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Something similar happened when I installed my switchbacks. The bulb fell into the housing and I could not get it out. Well, it was late and my dad had a grand idea. He said to take the gum out of my mouth, put it on my finger, stick it to the bulb, and carefully remove it. It worked. Orbit gum isn't only about keeping your teeth clean anymore.
husker741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:52 AM   #7
Skywgn1

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S (manual)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlewistan View Post
the reverse lights are not part of the tails. the tail holds running, stop, and turn signals. the reverse light is down in the center of the bumper to each side of the red triangle reflector (or rear fog light on the brz)
Dude, my bad. Open your trunk. There are two 10mm bolts that need to come out next to the tail lights. While in the trunk, remove the center piece as stated above. I also removed the tail lights. Now, you will need to go to the rear wheel and remove the rivets that are high in the wheel well (follow the rear bumper seam to the wheel well and you will see it. Now go below the car and start removing rivets starting at the rear wheels and working your way to the center. If I remember there are two pretty close together buy the wheels on each side and then two in the center that attach to a bracket by the center of the muffler. There are a few smaller rivets but can stay. Then start pulling the bumper off at the wheel well and work your way to the center. The center has metal clips but the bumper will slip away from them. Then look at the revers light assembly and you will see two more rivets on either side of the assembly and two 10mm bolts. Take them out and it will swivel down. It is attached at the bottom but can be forced off of this. Remove the reverse light harness and you can get the bulb out. Then reinstall in reverse order. Sorry about the confusion. It's 1 am and I'm really tired.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:54 AM   #8
mezdup

Drives: 2014 Ice Silver WRX
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker741 View Post
Something similar happened when I installed my switchbacks. The bulb fell into the housing and I could not get it out. Well, it was late and my dad had a grand idea. He said to take the gum out of my mouth, put it on my finger, stick it to the bulb, and carefully remove it. It worked. Orbit gum isn't only about keeping your teeth clean anymore.
you're lucky the gum didn't fall off your finger haha
mezdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:00 AM   #9
xdbuix

Drives: 2013 Galaxy Blue Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
thanks guys for the suggestions!

What I did was I rattled the lightbulb until it positioned itself in front of the hole. I then used some long pliers to pull it out. Not going to lie, it was a big pain in the butt, but I got it done.