follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-19-2017, 02:43 AM   #15
allowe

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrAggie2020 View Post
You don't happen do own a mustang as well do you?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

That was the biggest mustang move! 😂

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
allowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 02:57 AM   #16
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,520 Times in 18,921 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by allowe View Post
I was being an idiot . I put too much throttle in. Anyways lesson learned haha. I'm just seriously hoping it's just the toe arm and an alignment
It most likely is just that.

Now that you know what can happen when there's no magical tech between you and your right foot, you have started your journey toward being an actually skilled driver. Leave them off. Find a place to wipe out safely and go practice recovery.

I spun mine within 5 days. In a safe place. Gotta find the limits.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:39 AM   #17
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Well, I'll play the role of the devil's advocate here.

Check out the suspension on that side and compare it to the other side. Even take pictures and measurements to see if anything else is bent. Maybe even just say screw it and take this opportunity to upgrade your suspension- get adjustable camber arms, upgraded toe arms etc. The more you replace, the less potential to miss something that got bent.

Then try and do your own alignment. If you know anything about geometry and you have a level, string, carpenter's square and time you can dial in a rough alignment yourself. Look online for a tutorial on it.

With my last car I installed front cambolts and using those tools, I calculated what my camber was and it was very accurate to what the alignment shop found. Toe is a little more of a PITA but that comes down to meticulous measurements and using string.
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to guybo For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 09:39 AM   #18
allowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
It most likely is just that.

Now that you know what can happen when there's no magical tech between you and your right foot, you have started your journey toward being an actually skilled driver. Leave them off. Find a place to wipe out safely and go practice recovery.

I spun mine within 5 days. In a safe place. Gotta find the limits.

Thanks for the positive feedback!

I honestly love driving it without the nannies. I was doing great for a while. Even when I lost the back, I always knew how to bring it back at low speeds but I was coming of off work, I'm excited as all hell because I had no sleep and I work a nightshift. Had so much adrenaline.

There is a huge parking lot near my house I'll probably go practice there.

Old 02-19-2017, 01:31 PM   #19
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,520 Times in 18,921 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
There is a huge parking lot near my house I'll probably go practice there.
Drive in a big circle up to the limit and then lift. Lift-oversteer is probably the biggest eye opener when it comes to vehicle dynamics.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:48 PM   #20
jcrAggie2020

Drives: 2013 firestorm frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracer111 View Post
What does having traction control off ultimately have to do with hitting a curb? If traction control was on, the front end could have just plowed into the curb... and that would be more expensive. I had a situation where was turning in under an overpass and aparrently hit a swath of loose dirt like material that was spread all over the road - right in the middle of turn in. Was in the outside lane which has a curb running along it, and immediately when felt the front end start washing out I got on the accelerator and initiated a serious rear correction, and JUST cleared the curb while staying in the lane. If the traction/stability control systems were on, the front end would have most definitely washed out completely and would have ended up smacking into the curb - there was no distance to allow the power to be cut and front to understeer back into grip and clear the curb. And if I have a choice, its going to be the rear I'd want to make contact with curb, not the front.

The traction control on the FR-S is not that great, the Nissan Frontier I recently picked up has a better and MUCH more useful TC and stability system. In the FR-S, I drive without the traction and stability system on 100% of the time - the car is much more predictable and responsive with it disengaged.
Because by turning traction control off this fool was wishing to hit a curb. Probably watched Tokyo drift and the fan boy in him got a boner and he went for a drive
jcrAggie2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 04:39 PM   #21
zberz

Drives: 2015 Lightning Red BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrAggie2020 View Post
Because by turning traction control off this fool was wishing to hit a curb. Probably watched Tokyo drift and the fan boy in him got a boner and he went for a drive
Let's be real, turning traction control off doesn't cause the car to spin wildly, driving like a jackass does. We've all done it, except sometimes, the traction control says "I got you" and saves us from ourselves.

This guy is being honest about driving like a jackass and is just asking for some help in fixing it. Let's not beat him up too much more over it. 😉
@allowe: Hope you get it all fixed. It seems like you've learned something, and considering no-one was hurt, I'm glad you did. It could've ended up worse.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
zberz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zberz For This Useful Post:
allowe (02-19-2017), Carbinebbq (02-19-2017), HKz (02-20-2017), mmmcambelsoup (02-20-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 04:46 PM   #22
allowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by zberz View Post
Let's be real, turning traction control off doesn't cause the car to spin wildly, driving like a jackass does. We've all done it, except sometimes, the traction control says "I got you" and saves us from ourselves.

This guy is being honest about driving like a jackass and is just asking for some help in fixing it. Let's not beat him up too much more over it. 😉
@allowe: Hope you get it all fixed. It seems like you've learned something, and considering no-one was hurt, I'm glad you did. It could've ended up worse.

Hey thanks for you reply!

Yea I'm 100% aware I fucked up. It could've been avoided in so many ways but I'm so glad that many other things didn't happen like for example, hurt someone else, total my car, another car, etc. Now I just gotta figure out how to fix it. From what I can tell it's just a toe arm and an alignment. I'll find out more once I put the arm in and get it aligned

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to allowe For This Useful Post:
HKz (02-20-2017), phrosty (02-19-2017), zberz (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 04:53 PM   #23
Dake

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracer111 View Post
What does having traction control off ultimately have to do with hitting a curb? If traction control was on, the front end could have just plowed into the curb... and that would be more expensive. I had a situation where was turning in under an overpass and aparrently hit a swath of loose dirt like material that was spread all over the road - right in the middle of turn in. Was in the outside lane which has a curb running along it, and immediately when felt the front end start washing out I got on the accelerator and initiated a serious rear correction, and JUST cleared the curb while staying in the lane. If the traction/stability control systems were on, the front end would have most definitely washed out completely and would have ended up smacking into the curb - there was no distance to allow the power to be cut and front to understeer back into grip and clear the curb. And if I have a choice, its going to be the rear I'd want to make contact with curb, not the front.

The traction control on the FR-S is not that great, the Nissan Frontier I recently picked up has a better and MUCH more useful TC and stability system. In the FR-S, I drive without the traction and stability system on 100% of the time - the car is much more predictable and responsive with it disengaged.
Your example is not the same as what the OP reported.

The OP was making a left, got on the gas too much, and swapped ends. In this instance, TC would have done exactly what it's meant to do by stopping the spin.

In your instance, the front end washed out due to loss of grip. That you managed to oversteer your way out of it in those tight confines was luck as much as anything else. If the rear end got into the same patch of loose material it would have simply been accelerated into the curb more quickly.

Ultimately, either end of this car is bad to hit like that. I do agree though that it's very controllable with the nannies turned off if you pay attention, however all it takes is a moment's inattention and the laws of physics take over.
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dake For This Useful Post:
Cole (02-19-2017), zberz (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 05:38 PM   #24
zberz

Drives: 2015 Lightning Red BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Hey thanks for you reply!

Yea I'm 100% aware I fucked up. It could've been avoided in so many ways but I'm so glad that many other things didn't happen like for example, hurt someone else, total my car, another car, etc. Now I just gotta figure out how to fix it. From what I can tell it's just a toe arm and an alignment. I'll find out more once I put the arm in and get it aligned

Exactly, I've had an expensive mistake too, and learned a "cheap" lesson because it could've been worse. Hope you get it all fixed. Wish I could help but suspension and steering aren't my strong points. Good luck.

zberz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 05:45 PM   #25
thomasmryan

Drives: hyper blue
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
listen for the bearing....
thomasmryan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thomasmryan For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (02-19-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 12:34 AM   #26
Vracer111

Drives: '13 Nissan Frontier (4.0L 6spd 2WD)
Thanked 1,245 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dake View Post
Your example is not the same as what the OP reported.

The OP was making a left, got on the gas too much, and swapped ends. In this instance, TC would have done exactly what it's meant to do by stopping the spin.

In your instance, the front end washed out due to loss of grip. That you managed to oversteer your way out of it in those tight confines was luck as much as anything else. If the rear end got into the same patch of loose material it would have simply been accelerated into the curb more quickly.

Ultimately, either end of this car is bad to hit like that. I do agree though that it's very controllable with the nannies turned off if you pay attention, however all it takes is a moment's inattention and the laws of physics take over.
What exactly happened with OP wasn't known at the time I posted, so I assumed road conditions helped contribute to the curbing.

In my example, material was all over the road going into and just under the overpass... meaning front then rear was in loose material through the entire turn sequence...had to balance front and rear through a near 90 degree arc skating on loose material at 20'ish mph while not swinging the rear out too much because there was no room to do so. I used what I have learned from autocross and track experience over the years to try and guide the car through the turn, but do agree some 'luck' was involved that kept me from curbing. You are correct, if I wasn't paying attention and noticed something wasn't right on the road just before hitting the material, it would have resulted in a pretty bad curbing.

I do know that if the traction control was on in that situation I wouldn 't have had a chance...I would have just had to ride it out into the curbing.
Ultramaroon (02-20-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 08:11 PM   #27
jeepmor

Drives: 84 CJ7, 08 Duramax, 2014 FRS
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
A close inspection and comparison to the opposite side (assuming it's fine) might show you any minor tweaking that may have occurred, especially on that thing that looks bent in the second image. Sway bar link? That might foul up the feel a bit as it's bent and might be putting a pull/lean to your driving a straight line if bent far enough to place a load on the suspension.

Hope this helps. Best of luck fixing it, hope it's a cheap ouch. My wife curbing mine wasn't, she cost me a front clip and paint, a control arm and alignment. On the bright side, it fully recovered and drives just like it did pre-wife curb whack.
jeepmor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeepmor For This Useful Post:
allowe (02-26-2017)