follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 03-22-2014, 09:25 PM   #253
shaunsweeney

Drives: 2014 FR-S MT Asphalt Grey
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Here's a link to my build during last years Spartan Beast in Vermont.

http://s92.photobucket.com/user/dong...?sort=3&page=1
shaunsweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:14 AM   #254
Vincenttam
WtsTofu

Drives: Ultramarine fr-s
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaskrayon View Post
Alright guys. I'm that skinny guy that wants to bulk up. I don't want to be jacked out of my mind, but I want to gain some muscle mass.

I have always been athletic, but I've always been skinny. Now I categorize myself as "skinny fat." I can eat whatever and not gain much weight, if anything its because of beer. I eat crappy, and I know it, because I can get away with it. I haven't had much time to get back into shape and I want to change that, as well as my eating habits.

I've already started eating slightly healthier and cut soda and candy out completely. I know one of the biggest thing to gaining muscle is eating. My problem right now is just that. I don't know if I can eat that much? As it is, I only eat lunch and dinner. I can't see myself eating breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner and another snack.

So I guess my question is do I just force myself to eat as much as I can to get the calories I need? I'm sure I'll start eating more once I start getting into rythem, but should I just start slow, like add breakfast then in a week add a snack before lunch and so on? Any tips would be great, thanks.

More meals, smaller meals, and food timing. Start to buy some protein bars, or protein shakes. When i had a hard time getting food down, i would take one bite, drink some water. Thats how bad i wanted to gain muscle. It sucked but.. it worked. I would recommend you throw that whole "i want muscles but i don't want to get too big" out the window/ Trust me, I've never met a guy that was like "opps i'm too big, i think i messed up."
Vincenttam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:40 AM   #255
shaunsweeney

Garage
You met one right here. I have no desire to be too big. It severely limits my flexibility and overall athletic ability when I get too much bulk. I have found over the years I am better at sports and especially endurance activities when I'm not bulky.

It all depends upon you goals and what you want to do for activities. You don't see a lot of muscle bound runner, bikers, endurance athletes.

Not to mention, my wife told me she didn't find it attractive when I got too bulky. She prefers lean cut muscle over bulk. Different strokes for different folks.

I do recommend protein even if you don't want to be bulky. Having a protein smoothie following a workout promotes recovery. I use:

One scoop of MyoFusion
One cup of non-fat Greek yogurt
One cup of OJ
Two cups of frozen fruit (Dole Mix)
The Following User Says Thank You to shaunsweeney For This Useful Post:
Marchy (03-24-2014)
Old 03-23-2014, 11:22 AM   #256
zohaib
Wrong Wheel Drive :(

Drives: FiST
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I used to physically activate myself al the time for the past few years. Over the last few months I've been feeling blergh. I've done nothing save for a few pull ups. MOTIVATE ME.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:29 PM   #257
ihaskrayon
The Comedian

Drives: SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunsweeney View Post
It sounds like you want to be more well rounded. Honestly, you need to have a good mix of cross training for what you do. You may never look like Ryan Reynolds, but you can max out what your frame naturally wants to carry with cross training.

If you want to get ripped/toned do sets with more reps. I have similar goals and have always done 3 to 4 sets with 12-15 reps for any given weighted exercise.

Don't neglect body weight exercises like pull-ups, chin-ups, dips, push-ups, etc.

Do cardio two days a week. Basketball and biking sound like great ways to get your cardio in. However, consider hill runs, sprints, moderate distance running, trail runs, etc.

The moral of the story is variety. Don't be afraid to try a lot of different things. Just make sure you are getting full body workouts and don't skimp on Abs. I do Abs everyday when I'm training.
My basic idea is to do lots of different variations of workouts. I plan on doing this all at home, so I only have dumbbells, a bench and a pull up bar. So I will be doing lots of body weight workouts. I plan to do abs every other day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincenttam View Post
More meals, smaller meals, and food timing. Start to buy some protein bars, or protein shakes. When i had a hard time getting food down, i would take one bite, drink some water. Thats how bad i wanted to gain muscle. It sucked but.. it worked. I would recommend you throw that whole "i want muscles but i don't want to get too big" out the window/ Trust me, I've never met a guy that was like "opps i'm too big, i think i messed up."
I got protein bars and whey powder. I'm going to try and start eating more, I know I need to. I want muscle, don't get me wrong, I just don't want to look like this

It's not really what I'm looking for.

Quote:
You met one right here. I have no desire to be too big. It severely limits my flexibility and overall athletic ability when I get too much bulk. I have found over the years I am better at sports and especially endurance activities when I'm not bulky.

It all depends upon you goals and what you want to do for activities. You don't see a lot of muscle bound runner, bikers, endurance athletes.

Not to mention, my wife told me she didn't find it attractive when I got too bulky. She prefers lean cut muscle over bulk. Different strokes for different folks.

I do recommend protein even if you don't want to be bulky. Having a protein smoothie following a workout promotes recovery. I use:

One scoop of MyoFusion
One cup of OJ
I like making protein shakes. I like blending almonds with whey powder and bananas. I'll be looking at tons of different shakes to incorporate into my diet

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenki_levin View Post
That reynolds look is achievable. He said he looks skinnyfat so i wouldn't recommend a shitload of cardio and high reps and abs training. If he wants to gain muscle/strenght and lose fat at the same time i would say 'starting strength' is good place to start. He can move on to a more advanced program later on.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

And building muscle is a slow process. You won't wake up one morning and realise you turned into schwarzenegger.

(Info above is based on personal experience. Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.)
I don't expect to wake up and be swole, haha. I know it'll take time.

-------

I'm thinking of making a new thread to show my progress, get tips and possibly motivate others to have a better lifestyle. We'll see in a bit if that's what I'll do or not
ihaskrayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:38 AM   #258
shaunsweeney

Garage
You don't need a ton of equipment to get into great shape. Maybe get a medicine ball with handles (doubles as kettle bell) and a plyo box. You can incorporate all kinds of great work outs with just those and what you have.

And don't be fooled into thinking you can look like Ryan Reynolds. Not everyone's frame is meant to hold muscle like that without insane amounts of work. If you have a few hours a day everyday sure, but I'm sure you have bills to pay.

Just like woman who try to look like models, guys shouldn't feel bad about not looking like a dude that gets paid to exercises for a movie role.
The Following User Says Thank You to shaunsweeney For This Useful Post:
Marchy (03-24-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 03:26 AM   #259
Vincenttam
WtsTofu

Drives: Ultramarine fr-s
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
You don't need a ton of equipment to get into great shape. Maybe get a medicine ball with handles (doubles as kettle bell) and a plyo box. You can incorporate all kinds of great work outs with just those and what you have.

And don't be fooled into thinking you can look like Ryan Reynolds. Not everyone's frame is meant to hold muscle like that without insane amounts of work. If you have a few hours a day everyday sure, but I'm sure you have bills to pay.

Just like woman who try to look like models, guys shouldn't feel bad about not looking like a dude that gets paid to exercises for a movie role.
I've been there. I remember watching xmen and seeing wolverine pop out of his little liquid bed and shredded. I was like HOLY SHIT I WANNA BE THAT BIG!!! Started working out and now im like, i wanna be bigger!!! And i am, just not at his body fat % Not even close
Vincenttam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:49 PM   #260
xxscaxx

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
You all talk like its easy to pack on muscle and your going to be some huge dude within a matter of months.

It takes YEARS of dedicated training and dieting to look even remotely like that, unless you are just genetically gifted which many do not possess unfortunately.

Unless you decide to start getting help with "supplements" you will never look like the guys posted above. Hell, even with them you probably still won't.

Not trying to take the wind out of people's sails here, but just trying to be brutally honest. You can make very noticeable gains at first if you are a newbie but after that its a long road with minimal gains.

Don't worry about being too big, too small, this size, etc. It all starts with what you are putting into your mouth. Clean up your diet - eat smart. Try to stay consistent so you know that "ok this this and this i'm eating isn't helping me gain any weight. I don't look like shit but i'm not gaining weight, so I need to add more calories somehow".

I know some people can just eat whatever they want and not get fat, but it doesn't mean its healthy for you. I am definitely not one of those people as I would just get fat in no time
xxscaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:24 PM   #261
zenki_levin
Road Warrior

Drives: AE86 Levin
I'm going to start to limit my advice to: GO TO BB.COM

Old 03-24-2014, 03:14 PM   #262
Wilson15

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Only if i had the problem of beeing too jacked
Wilson15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:11 PM   #263
buddy32

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Join a crossfit.
buddy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:11 PM   #264
nlamon33

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy32 View Post
Join a crossfit.
I heard this is how you get big.
No need to even attend; as long as you talk about it.
nlamon33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nlamon33 For This Useful Post:
Diode Dynamics (03-24-2014), Marchy (03-24-2014), shaunsweeney (03-24-2014), zenki_levin (03-24-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 04:36 PM   #265
brzadmir

Drives: 13' BRZ, 05' 325xi, 02' RAV4
Quote:

One scoop of MyoFusion
One cup of OJ

Protein is a must depending on the persons goals, or form of activity. Different strokes for different folks as you stated; me personally I am against Protein powder, to many reasons to list. My protein intake is a lot lower than the average body builder reason being my diet emphasizes on PLENTY of fruits, walnuts, seeds, almonds(ETC.) and minimal carbs(simple). I have ranged and experimented with many diets in the past, Paleo, High Protein, Etc. I can say I feel most energized, happier and all around more healthier emphasizing a diet that consist of live food. I know everyone will knock my protein intake but I manage to properly function and repair with a strict workout that consists of roadwork in the morning, boxing in the afternoon and calisthenics at night. Just putting my two cents in!
brzadmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:36 PM   #266
Diode Dynamics

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,761 Times in 877 Posts
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlamon33 View Post
I heard this is how you get big.
No need to even attend; as long as you talk about it.

Nick C.
Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote