follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 02-23-2014, 12:15 PM   #29
Shiv@Openflash

Drives: 2013 FRS
Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,494 Posts
Mentioned: 605 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesm View Post
Yes, that is one often-overlooked benefit of oft. The same issue applies to brzedit, which I now own and have no use for, but can't sell. You can sell your ecutek cable if you choose to, though. With oft you can recoup the majority of your investment if need be.

Ecutek makes up for this by supporting a full upgrade path, such as to say that you'll never need anything else because you can run any combination of anything with it. Oft has resale value, which is good because you might need it when you decide to install a turbo or want flex fuel .
Through our competitive discount sale alone ($100 off to existing ecutek customers), we have probably sold over 100 OFTs in the last few months. And I'm quite sure these people keep then despite being able to sell them for more, immediately, in the used market ($440-465). These folks just seen to want something effective, convenient, re-sellable and just perhaps something that provides them discounts on headers and other hardware we sell at significant discount to all OFT customers. This will extend to supercharger kits next week.

I'll be the first to tell turbo kit users to go with a tuner who has had success tuning turbo kits. Even if that means going the ecutek route. I haven't even seen more than a couple turbo'd cars at meets let alone tuned one. Same spplies to those who want to run flexfuel betond the E60-E90 range our OFT maps easily and effectively support. But their unique requirements seem to be the exception rather than the rule.

We we were every careful with the OFT business model. We purposely made it very customer-centric vs dealer-centric. Some people don't like that. But most do.

Last edited by Shiv@Openflash; 02-23-2014 at 12:28 PM.
Shiv@Openflash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shiv@Openflash For This Useful Post:
jamesm (02-23-2014)
Old 02-23-2014, 12:19 PM   #30
nelsmar

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,361 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 345 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsmar View Post
P.S. what can I expect to be added with the new data logging? I would love to nit have to meet people and use my ecutek cable for detailed logs, and have them simply log with their oft and email me their logs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Through our competitive discount sale alone ($100 off to existing ecutek customers), we have probably sold over 100 OFTs in the last few months. And I'm quite sure these people keep then despite being able to sell them for more, immediately, in the used market ($440-465). These folks just seen to want something effective, convenient, re-sellable and just perhaps something that provides them discounts on headers and other hardware we sell at significant discount to all OFT customers. This will extend to supercharger kits next week.

I'll be the first to tell turbo kit users to go with a tuner who has had success tuning turbo kits. Even if that means going the ecutek route. I haven't even seen more than a couple turbo'd cars at meets let alone tuned one. Same spplies to those who want to run flexfuel betond the E60-E90 range our OFT maps easily and effectively support. But their unique requirements seem to be the exception rather than the rule.
Could you please answer my question? I have been waiting since November I believe.
Old Setup: Vortech Supercharged 360WHP/262WTQ @ 11.5psi
My build thread - WTF happened to nelsmar's car thread
nelsmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:19 PM   #31
husker741
Banned

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion FR-S 6MT
Thanked 4,183 Times in 1,415 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I wouldn't let a dealership monkey work on my car even if the work was free, so te warranty don't mean much to me. That said, I've never heard of a real-world case of someone being denied warranty work on an 86 over a tune. Of course if they want to screw you they're gonna screw you, even if it's something as simple as losing receipts for an oil change 10,000 miles ago or using an aftermarket oil filter (customers at my old dealership used to hate that one!).

If you're concerned about warranty, don't do anything at all to your car and take it to the same dealer for every scheduled maintenance on time, and don't so much as change the oil yourself. Otherwise a motivated-enough service manager can find a way to screw you.

On the other hand if you luck out and have a good dealer (or one that likes you) the exact opposite is true and they can get just about anything covered. I once got an engine replacement covered for a girl who popped a head gasket because she was in a wreck and cracked her coolant bottle, didn't notice and drove without coolant for who knows how long. She was cute .
I had my transmission replaced under warranty and finally found a dealer who treats me well. So while I want more power, I also don't want problems from them. They loved how my car sounded and when I had an axle issue, it didn't matter to them that the car was lowered. So I guess they are pretty good when it comes to mods. I just want more power, but don't want any issues with the dealership even though they have been great. If I didn't let them work on my car, I would've had to pay thousands to get the tranny replaced.
husker741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:32 PM   #32
jamesm
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:

We we were every careful with the OFT business model. We purposely made it very customer-centric vs dealer-centric. Some people don't like that. But most do.
I'll be happy to tune turbo cars on oft once it has a boost cut and better logging. And of course only until the maf runs out. But you can't ignore hard limitations just because they're inconvenient to a sales pitch. Like the whole e85 map vs flex fuel thing. Relying on fuel trims to hit fueling targets isn't a great idea, and you have to know that. We tune cars to make them better than stock, not passable. If oft supported flex fuel and the competition didn't, you'd be talking about how we all can't live without it. But I agree I like your model, and it suits the majority of the market. And if I ever need a salesman or pr guy i'd pay top dollar for your services, because you're great at it . I actually respect that. But don't act like your offering unbiased advice.

My big question is the same as @nelsmar's. Particularly will there be injection params included in the new logging update? Like injection mode and fuel system status, to allow for tuning larger injectors.
jamesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:38 PM   #33
Shiv@Openflash

Drives: 2013 FRS
Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,494 Posts
Mentioned: 605 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
I'll be happy to tune turbo cars on oft once it has a boost cut and better logging. And of course only until the maf runs out. You can't ignore hard limitations just because they're inconvenient to a sales pitch. But I agree I like your model, and it suits the majority of the market.

My big question is the same as @nelsmar's. Particularly will there be injection params included in the new logging update? Particular injection mode and fuel system status, to allow for tuning larger injectors.
I don't have a sales pitch. I think things pretty much speak for themselves. I will say that these hard limitations that you mention may not be that hard. And the update for enhanced login should be released by the end of this upcoming week. And adding more channels going forward will be simple and quick to implement. All the injection related channels you mentioned above will be there of course.
Shiv@Openflash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shiv@Openflash For This Useful Post:
jamesm (02-23-2014)
Old 02-23-2014, 12:41 PM   #34
nelsmar

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,361 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 345 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
I'll be happy to tune turbo cars on oft once it has a boost cut and better logging. And of course only until the maf runs out. You can't ignore hard limitations just because they're inconvenient to a sales pitch. But I agree I like your model, and it suits the majority of the market.

My big question is the same as @nelsmar's. Particularly will there be injection params included in the new logging update? Particular injection mode and fuel system status, to allow for tuning larger injectors.
I would also really like to see the above as well as FLKC, IAT, OIL Temperature, Coolant Temperature, and hell requested AFR would be a wonderful time saver.
Old Setup: Vortech Supercharged 360WHP/262WTQ @ 11.5psi
My build thread - WTF happened to nelsmar's car thread
nelsmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:03 PM   #35
jamesm
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
I don't have a sales pitch. I think things pretty much speak for themselves. I will say that these hard limitations that you mention may not be that hard. And the update for enhanced login should be released by the end of this upcoming week. And adding more channels going forward will be simple and quick to implement. All the injection related channels you mentioned above will be there of course.
we can disagree.. but i appreciate your response.
jamesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:35 PM   #36
1stGenBRZ86

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What are the limitations specifically, for why OFT cannot be used on a turbo car? If say you wanted to run blow-thru maf turbo setup for about 350 whp, can OFT be used? The car would be taken to a pro tuner to get dyno-tuned.
1stGenBRZ86 is offline   Reply With Quote