follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 01-29-2014, 08:15 PM   #43
Saber_TRD

Drives: '09 Cobalt SS Turbo
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurasianman View Post
2008-2010 Cobalt SS turbocharged with GM Stage 1 (manufacturer option/does not affect warranty) 2.0L @ 280HP. Does that count? :P

Side note, I am pretty happy with the power from the FA20. Just wish 2nd gear (manual) would be a bit taller to hit 60 MPH (Seriously stops at 59 MPH! WTF?! )
Came here to say that. Stock it's 260HP, 260ft-lbs. With the factory Stage 1 it's 280HP, 320 ft-lbs. LNF engine FTW.

Love my 'Balt, wish it was RWD, but I still love the thing.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:24 PM   #44
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurasianman View Post
2008-2010 Cobalt SS turbocharged with GM Stage 1 (manufacturer option/does not affect warranty) 2.0L @ 280HP. Does that count? :P

Side note, I am pretty happy with the power from the FA20. Just wish 2nd gear (manual) would be a bit taller to hit 60 MPH (Seriously stops at 59 MPH! WTF?! )
Just raise max rpm in second gear to hit 60. Ecu tuners can do this

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:26 PM   #45
Jegan_V

Drives: 2023 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianStyle View Post
I'm not sure why people think I don't like the twins. I wouldn't have bought one if I didn't. There is nothing wrong with the twins, I'm just stating my opinion on what I think would have been better.

I think the car would have been better with a different engine regardless of it being an inline or flat layout. If it had a bit more power and/or better reliability.

Given that I'm not sure how the miata fits the bill and I do have a bias against convertibles, which make the s2k a no go. I think the only car that would be comparable to what I'm looking for would be the cayman, which we all know cost more than double the price of the twins.
The flat engine doesn't have any obvious benefits seen in numbers instead they're felt. Lowering the center of gravity has been the main thing that flat engines do better. By lowering the center of gravity you not only reduce the amount of roll but particularly on a car like this it means Toyota and Subaru don't have to tune the suspension so tightly allowing for better ride comfort without compromising handling. This is generally why when there's a Evo vs. STi battle, the Subaru is often the more daily driver friendly of the cars.

When I heard they were going with a flat engine, for me that was bonus points. I didn't understand the benefits of a flat engine...until I owned one. I'll happily trade some power in favour of less body roll and a nicer ride. Of course that's just me, I can't tolerate an uncomfortable car. I'm not sure why people rag on Subaru NA engines, I currently drive one and my engine is now 10 years old and has done sufficient mileage, but it still runs like a champ. It doesn't even leak to my surprise.
Jegan_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:00 PM   #46
993Fan

Drives: 2014 DGM BRZ MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisl View Post
I thought most big rigs used inline 6s...
I think you're right, based on a google search you made me do!

I was chatting with a trucker a few months ago who had a 4 cyl diesel but that appears to be an exception.
993Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:36 PM   #47
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jegan_V View Post
The flat engine doesn't have any obvious benefits seen in numbers instead they're felt. Lowering the center of gravity has been the main thing that flat engines do better. By lowering the center of gravity you not only reduce the amount of roll but particularly on a car like this it means Toyota and Subaru don't have to tune the suspension so tightly allowing for better ride comfort without compromising handling. This is generally why when there's a Evo vs. STi battle, the Subaru is often the more daily driver friendly of the cars.

When I heard they were going with a flat engine, for me that was bonus points. I didn't understand the benefits of a flat engine...until I owned one. I'll happily trade some power in favour of less body roll and a nicer ride. Of course that's just me, I can't tolerate an uncomfortable car. I'm not sure why people rag on Subaru NA engines, I currently drive one and my engine is now 10 years old and has done sufficient mileage, but it still runs like a champ. It doesn't even leak to my surprise.
i dont think thats the case at all. i wouldnt be surprised if the sti has a higher cog due to its awd drivetrain.

i dont know why people care about specific output. power is power.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:39 AM   #48
hmong337
Emperor JDM

Drives: '91 MR2 Gen3 3SGTE, '13 FRS
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
Every car made is about having the engineering/design align up with budget constraints and manufacturing capabilities. Sure, a high output I-4 can be made... but at what cost? Toyota had no such engine in its arsenal and wasn't willing to make one. Subaru felt they can do it and can benefit from a modified FA20T in the Forester (and other cars).

Everyone wins.

In the end... be glad the car was built. A lot of projects like this get canned even before the car leaves the auto show floor as a concept.

-alex
Ummmm... 3sge beams. Stop talking outta your ass
Old 01-30-2014, 12:48 AM   #49
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmong337 View Post
Ummmm... 3sge beams. Stop talking outta your ass
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_S_engine"]Toyota S engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

My ass has spoken. 3SGE "BEAMS" was last made in 2005, if you count the RWD Altezza 4-cylinder as a "BEAMS" engine.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:52 AM   #50
hmong337
Emperor JDM

3sge beams was what I was pleaing for even when this car was still in its concept stages. I was never kinned to the fact that they wanted and ultimately stuffed a stupid boxer in to the car. In some ways, I still ain't. In fact, I never liked boxers at all due to their over complexity in making just a puny little 4 banger. But I guess Toyota liked it that much that they went ahead with it.

In my perfect world, it would've been better to have stuck an all aluminum 2.0L 2zz-GE style motor into the car at the expense of some handling. Even an all aluminum 3gse beams would've done the job.

I still find it sad that even after 10+ years of development, the fa20 with it's high compression and direct/port injection, it still only puts out 200hp. Dammit, if talking strictly Toyota, the beams engine did that back in 1998!
Old 01-30-2014, 12:58 AM   #51
hmong337
Emperor JDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
Toyota S engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My ass has spoken. 3SGE "BEAMS" was last made in 2005, if you count the RWD Altezza 4-cylinder as a "BEAMS" engine.

-alex
And you don't think Toyota could've made something similar if not the same during the ft86 development? I wouldn't be silly and dismiss that they couldn't pull a newly developed beams motor outta their closet... Which they should have!
Old 01-30-2014, 01:44 AM   #52
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmong337 View Post
And you don't think Toyota could've made something similar if not the same during the ft86 development? I wouldn't be silly and dismiss that they couldn't pull a newly developed beams motor outta their closet... Which they should have!
Toyota can make anything they want, but you're missing the point here.

Given the current state of global emissions requirements, and Toyota's position as a leader in hybrid technology, do you realistically think an investment in a new high output 4-cylinder engine is in Toyota's best interest?

I'm not being silly, I'm following the money trail that Toyota corporate has taken over the last 5 years.

But hey, if you want to keep dreaming about a 3SGE or 3SGE replacement from Toyota, be my guest. There's also all these other BRZ guys begging for a STi version too, you can join their club.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:34 AM   #53
Tromatic
Banned

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 1,728 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
I guess you missed my post about how I think COG is just marketing BS. Do you really believe a small change in COG is that important or that an inline 4 would change the COG that drastically?
Yeah, physics is just a lie! Think of the money we can save by ignoring it. Don't tell anyone, though. There's still much money to be made before we let on.

Quote:
Given that I'm not sure how the miata fits the bill and I do have a bias against convertibles, which make the s2k a no go. I think the only car that would be comparable to what I'm looking for would be the cayman, which we all know cost more than double the price of the twins.
Odd that the FR-S/BRZ has been favorably compared to the Cayman. Any guesses as to why that might be? Something similar in their design goals? Physical characteristics, maybe? Hint, it's probably not marketing BS. Says a lot about the people who designed the car that it gets mentioned in the same sentence as a Porche. I think you can claim to be the first one to lay the faults of the FR-S (real or not) on "marketing BS", though. That's strong work.

Toyota should have gone to Yamaha and asked them to tweak the Subaru engine.

Last edited by Tromatic; 01-30-2014 at 02:50 AM.
Tromatic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tromatic For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (01-30-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 09:56 AM   #54
AsianStyle

Drives: Whiteout FR-S MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tromatic View Post
Yeah, physics is just a lie! Think of the money we can save by ignoring it. Don't tell anyone, though. There's still much money to be made before we let on.

Odd that the FR-S/BRZ has been favorably compared to the Cayman. Any guesses as to why that might be? Something similar in their design goals? Physical characteristics, maybe? Hint, it's probably not marketing BS. Says a lot about the people who designed the car that it gets mentioned in the same sentence as a Porche. I think you can claim to be the first one to lay the faults of the FR-S (real or not) on "marketing BS", though. That's strong work.

Toyota should have gone to Yamaha and asked them to tweak the Subaru engine.
I don't think I ever called the twins marketing BS. I said COG being thought of as the biggest performance triumph is marketing BS. As others have stated before on this thread the COG does not result in any tangible or quantitative advantage. Yes the feel might change, but the difference between going inline vs. flat wouldn't be a big change. Also, I'm not even sure how this inline vs flat debate came up. I was stating I just think Toyota could have done better than the fa20.

You think the twins being favorably compared to the cayman is due to it having a lower COG? Are you serious? The only advantage the twins have against the cayman is price and its ability to have fun at low speeds. You somehow make it seem like if the twins used any other engine somehow the cars dynamics will drastically change.

I don't understand these people that keep chiming in with their 2 cents on my comment. Do any of you really think the fa20 is some great accomplishment and no other engine would have been better on the twins? I love the car, but lets be serious. I'm not even bashing the car yet all these people feel like they need to defend it.
AsianStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:19 AM   #55
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I don't know where this idea that changing CG height won't affect performance came from, but it's wrong. Differences in CG height will affect more than "feel", they'll also affect performance in a measurable and important way.

Quote:
Every vehicle has a center of gravity (CG), a hypothetical point that sums up its constituent masses—engine, body, chassis, and cup holders—in one handy location. When we report weight distribution, you can infer the CG’s location in the fore-and-aft direction—in other words, the weight share borne by each axle. The problem is that those wheel loadings, interesting as they may be, are variable. As soon as the car moves, the forces of inertia inflict dramatic changes. Enter CG height: The lower it is, the less wheel loading shifts to the front during braking, to the rear during acceleration, and to the outside wheels during cornering. Racing engineers strive for the lowest-possible CG height because a set of tires delivers maximum traction—and therefore optimal perform­ance—when each tire carries its fair share of the total dynamic load.
CG height will help you grasp why one supercar is able to trounce a similarly powerful and lightweight rival. Dynamically speaking, it is one of the most important differences between a svelte sports sedan and a hulking sport-utility. Total weight, CG height, and its fore-and-aft location are the Matthew, Mark, and Luke of  handling-performance secrets.
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/new-car-and-driver-center-of-gravity-height-and-variable-slalom-tests-feature

Quote:
The effects of weight transfer are proportional to the height of the CG off the ground. A flatter car, one with a lower CG, handles better and quicker because weight transfer is not so drastic as it is in a high car.
http://phors.locost7.info/phors01.htm

Quote:
The CG is important because the amount of weight that shifts is proportional to how high off the ground the center of gravity is. For a car on a flat surface, the amount of weight that is transferred is given by:

http://www.stockcarscience.com/blog/index.php/why_the_car_won_t_turn_1

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (01-30-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 10:37 AM   #56
BRZ21
i kill cones.

Drives: around cones in a parking lot
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
there was an amazing thread on this topic. wish it never died. hopefully you guys will revive it:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39707