follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 12-19-2019, 12:50 PM   #1345
subaru

Drives: STI
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Well, the immediate need was getting the car fixed or replaced, the class action isn't going to do that given the typical length of a simple class action is between two and three years, and this one is not "simple" at best, and dubious at worst (my opinion, no need to rehash all that).

I agree with what you are saying about the overall approach in your last post though, seems the best way to go.

I have to say that the fact Subaru seems to be unwilling to step in and help means I would never purchase another car, or lawn mower, from them.
Agreed. We have owned 8 (would keep the 06 also) The reality is subaru can't be trusted on their suppliers and trying to copy gm with defective parts. No thanks. As badly as I want some of the features of the outback we will look elsewhere. When they did the recall they somehow made it so my shifter is not aligned properly. Also the local dealer walnut crap er creek was told by SOA to fix my to bearing that had been reported and neglected before. Instead they put the car back together. Subaru still offered the money to fix it, but now the job had increased by double. This was of course after they tried to give me the bullshit about how the spark plugs don't come out. Poor customer service, and frankly a 10 year old knows more accurate specs than the car sales people. I also find it ridiculous brz cars up to 18? have thrown codes and needed valve work on brand new cars. Do you think in 4 more years they won't have a recall or exploded motors? The new cars coming out e.g. outback are rumored to have drivetrain issues before they were even available for sale. My biggest thing personally is I don't put a lot of miles but my resale has lost 30 percent since this crap occurred. How will I be compensated? Can I join the class action in CA or is it only NJ?
GFY subaru.
subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 01:13 PM   #1346
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru View Post
Agreed. We have owned 8 (would keep the 06 also) The reality is subaru can't be trusted on their suppliers and trying to copy gm with defective parts. No thanks. As badly as I want some of the features of the outback we will look elsewhere. When they did the recall they somehow made it so my shifter is not aligned properly. Also the local dealer walnut crap er creek was told by SOA to fix my to bearing that had been reported and neglected before. Instead they put the car back together. Subaru still offered the money to fix it, but now the job had increased by double. This was of course after they tried to give me the bullshit about how the spark plugs don't come out. Poor customer service, and frankly a 10 year old knows more accurate specs than the car sales people. I also find it ridiculous brz cars up to 18? have thrown codes and needed valve work on brand new cars. Do you think in 4 more years they won't have a recall or exploded motors? The new cars coming out e.g. outback are rumored to have drivetrain issues before they were even available for sale. My biggest thing personally is I don't put a lot of miles but my resale has lost 30 percent since this crap occurred. How will I be compensated? Can I join the class action in CA or is it only NJ?
GFY subaru.
Any and all makes and models can have individual parts issues. It happens. There is no perfectly built car.
The failure in the REPAIR of one small subset of one model year of one very particular model is not indicative to the whole range of the manufacturer.
There are far more 4+ year old Subarus out there that have never had an issue much less had an engine blow than there are that have.
The class action is for people that the REPAIR blew their engines not misaligned shifters.
The issues you had with the DEALER are not a Subaru item but a dealership one.

I know it sucks and is a pain in the ass but to condemn a whole manufacturer on this one teeny tiny thing (in the big picture) is just extreme.
Opie (12-21-2019)
Old 12-20-2019, 08:30 PM   #1347
DeadBRZ

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Add another one to the list

Bought a 2103 BRZ May of this year (from GTA area dealer). November had the I suppose now "infamous" knock and engine stall. Found out the recall was performed in March. Called the dealer the repair was performed at and was told they are in no way accountable and I'd have to pay for the repair. Due the problems people have noted online I could not trust the dealership to fess up to their mistake. If they screwed it up the first time, why trust and pay them to screw it up again.
So took the car to my own mechanic for tear down and inspection/repair (was willing to pay for repair at this point) - his reply after digging into it was it looks like the guy who repaired it took a silicone sh!t on it. Also found remnants of sealant in the pick up tube. He said and I quote "I would fight these effrs". When he sent me pics of the pickup tube, I had a double take. It looked just like the ones seen on these threads.
Really, so you take your car into a shop for repair by who they call "factory trained mechanics" to have a recall performed and they destroy the power plant and don't take ownership.
Not good. Have sent messages to Subaru Canada and the dealership the car was purchased from to see how they respond.
DeadBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DeadBRZ For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (12-25-2019), DAEMANO (12-31-2019), gravitylover (12-22-2019), humfrz (12-20-2019), Lonewolf (12-23-2019), Tcoat (12-21-2019)
Old 12-21-2019, 03:19 AM   #1348
mswbrz

Drives: 2013 brz limited / galaxy blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadBRZ View Post
Bought a 2103 BRZ May of this year (from GTA area dealer). November had the I suppose now "infamous" knock and engine stall. Found out the recall was performed in March. Called the dealer the repair was performed at and was told they are in no way accountable and I'd have to pay for the repair. Due the problems people have noted online I could not trust the dealership to fess up to their mistake. If they screwed it up the first time, why trust and pay them to screw it up again.

So took the car to my own mechanic for tear down and inspection/repair (was willing to pay for repair at this point) - his reply after digging into it was it looks like the guy who repaired it took a silicone sh!t on it. Also found remnants of sealant in the pick up tube. He said and I quote "I would fight these effrs". When he sent me pics of the pickup tube, I had a double take. It looked just like the ones seen on these threads.

Really, so you take your car into a shop for repair by who they call "factory trained mechanics" to have a recall performed and they destroy the power plant and don't take ownership.

Not good. Have sent messages to Subaru Canada and the dealership the car was purchased from to see how they respond.

Much luck to you bro !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mswbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 01:22 PM   #1349
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadBRZ View Post
Give CAMVAP (not to be confused with Subaru's CANVAPE) program a call. Your car is outside of the 4 year window where they will directly intervene but they can still give you some good info in what you should and can do.

https://www.camvap.ca/before-you-apply/~english

Don't give up. From what we have seen reported here the majority of the Canadian dealers took ownership of the botched repairs and made things right.
Dadhawk (12-21-2019), Lonewolf (12-23-2019)
Old 12-23-2019, 05:34 PM   #1350
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru View Post
GFY subaru.

We were shopping for a new car for the the wife a few years back . We went to Subaru to drive a 3.6 Outback. The damn thing straight died on the test drive, and would not start back up. I've literally been on somewhere around 80-90 test drives in my life and have never had anything like that happen. We had to be picked up by the shuttle from the dealership. Needless to say, we haven't considered a Subaru since, lol...
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lonewolf For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (12-25-2019)
Old 12-30-2019, 01:15 PM   #1351
GJR726WY

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Perusing the internet I see a lot about the failures post recall work being done. What I have not seen is any information or complaints about the issues from the source of the recall (ie. engine stalls, broken valve springs)

I just picked up my 2013 BRZ in fall of this year and can't find any evidence of the recall being performed on it. I'm wondering if I should research further, or just leave well enough alone.
GJR726WY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 02:13 PM   #1352
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,978 Times in 2,196 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Plug you VIN into the NHTSA site to see if your specific car is affected.

https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/vinLookup

It wasn't the full 2013 model run. It was only a few months out of the whole thing.
Your car may not be affected at all.

Then you can safely worry about other problems instead of that one.
Old 12-30-2019, 03:22 PM   #1353
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,516 Times in 18,918 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJR726WY View Post
I just picked up my 2013 BRZ in fall of this year and can't find any evidence of the recall being performed on it. I'm wondering if I should research further, or just leave well enough alone.
Don't do it. Don't even think about doing it. All the springs that were going to fail already did long before this recall went live. Based on my related experience, I am convinced that his fiasco is the result of a business/legal decision which left the engineers shaking their heads.
Old 12-30-2019, 04:06 PM   #1354
Snow27

Drives: ‘13 BRZ Limited SWP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Any and all makes and models can have individual parts issues. It happens. There is no perfectly built car.
The failure in the REPAIR of one small subset of one model year of one very particular model is not indicative to the whole range of the manufacturer.
There are far more 4+ year old Subarus out there that have never had an issue much less had an engine blow than there are that have.
The class action is for people that the REPAIR blew their engines not misaligned shifters.
The issues you had with the DEALER are not a Subaru item but a dealership one.

I know it sucks and is a pain in the ass but to condemn a whole manufacturer on this one teeny tiny thing (in the big picture) is just extreme.
Ultimately you aren't wrong, but it's also up to Subaru/Toyota to stand behind their brand. If dealers aren't going to do anything, and the manufacturer isn't going to step in, I don't see it as unreasonable to condemn them as well - especially considering it looks like this is all a result of a manufacturing defect.
Snow27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 04:20 PM   #1355
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow27 View Post
Ultimately you aren't wrong, but it's also up to Subaru/Toyota to stand behind their brand. If dealers aren't going to do anything, and the manufacturer isn't going to step in, I don't see it as unreasonable to condemn them as well - especially considering it looks like this is all a result of a manufacturing defect.
The failures are not the result of the defect. At least not directly. The failures are purely upon the inadequacy of some dealers techs and the dealers themselves to address it. The dealerships are independently owned and are not corporate Subaru. Subaru is in no way obligated to step in and cover the dealership's screw ups. Everybody needs to understand the separation between the dealer and Subaru. Just because they sell their cars it does not make them the same company.
Dadhawk (12-31-2019), Teseo (12-30-2019)
Old 12-30-2019, 04:39 PM   #1356
Snow27

Drives: ‘13 BRZ Limited SWP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The failures are not the result of the defect. At least not directly. The failures are purely upon the inadequacy of some dealers techs and the dealers themselves to address it. The dealerships are independently owned and are not corporate Subaru. Subaru is in no way obligated to step in and cover the dealership's screw ups. Everybody needs to understand the separation between the dealer and Subaru. Just because they sell their cars it does not make them the same company.
I understand what you're saying, but from a consumer perspective, neither dealers nor Subaru are taking any responsibility and the issue isn't being addressed. This would be a whole lot less of an issue if there weren't 10x more dead cars as a result of the recall than the valve springs it's supposed to be fixing, and they didn't wait until cars were out of warranty to issue the recall.

Subaru/Toyota share in some of the blame here.
Snow27 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snow27 For This Useful Post:
alan.chalkley (12-31-2019), Lonewolf (01-01-2020)
Old 01-02-2020, 09:41 AM   #1357
GJR726WY

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcj View Post
Plug you VIN into the NHTSA site to see if your specific car is affected.

https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/vinLookup

It wasn't the full 2013 model run. It was only a few months out of the whole thing.
Your car may not be affected at all.

Then you can safely worry about other problems instead of that one.

Thank you for that link! The only VIN cross check I could find was on Toyota's website and it wouldn't recognize my VIN for some reason. According to that link I'm golden, so I won't worry about it!
GJR726WY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:07 AM   #1358
Opie

Drives: '13 BRZ TLM Spec
Thanked 2,318 Times in 999 Posts
Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow27 View Post
I understand what you're saying, but from a consumer perspective, neither dealers nor Subaru are taking any responsibility and the issue isn't being addressed. This would be a whole lot less of an issue if there weren't 10x more dead cars as a result of the recall than the valve springs it's supposed to be fixing, and they didn't wait until cars were out of warranty to issue the recall.

Subaru/Toyota share in some of the blame here.
Subaru/Toyota identified a potential defect/failure, engineered a step by step repair for it that is provided to the dealerships/technicians and is covering 100% the cost of the correction on vehicles, what more should Subaru/Toyota do?

If the technicians at the dealership are performing a repair incorrectly that is causing a failure, that responsibility lies with the dealership. This is the reason why repair facilities (dealership & independent) have garage liability insurance, for customer issues caused by incorrect or incomplete repairs. If you have had an engine failure following the valve spring repair you first need to address it (professionally) with the dealership/management/ownership. If that does not bring about a satisfactory result then start a claim with the dealerships garage liability insurance. They will independently assess the situation and determine if the dealership or repair is at fault, if so, they will process the claim and facilitate the repair.

Just like there are legitimate failures due to improper repair methods during the recall, there are also failures that have nothing to do with the repair, i.e unrelated part failure, pre-existing condition, abuse, etc.
Dadhawk (01-02-2020)

Tags
brz, failure, frs, i cant even, j02, recall, so much glue