follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > EUROPE

User Tag List

Old 03-08-2014, 08:18 AM   #1
piotrr

Drives: wrb brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
E-Marked taillights?

Hey guys!

I'm getting my WRB BRZ next month hopefully and i was wondering if you know anything about the legal issues with the taillights. AFAIK taillights must be E-Marked to be legal in europe, right?
If so, do you have any idea if Valenti, Spyder or Buddy Club tails are legal in EU?

Cheers
piotrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:52 AM   #2
elBarto

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Buddyclubs are US legal and EU legal, the difference is the color of blinkers, US is completely red and EU has red-orange. The US lights are also re-pinned to fit the US FR-S and BRZ.

I myself have the US spec Buddyclubs, it's nicer in completely red. And I don't care about legal issues, if necessary I will switch them for the OEM for the mechanical inspection and switch back afterwards. If they even noticce it that they are non-EU lights.

EU spec

US Spec

I cannot help you with the Valenti or Spyder taillights. I have no experience with them.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:01 AM   #3
piotrr

Drives: wrb brz
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Yeah i know Buddyclub has 2 versions, still unsure if the one with orange blinkers is completely legal in Eu :P

I've found some posts about Valenti's:

Quote:
The Valenti lights have euro4 (E) mark certificates, same as DOT mark for us, so in Europe they are legal. Not sure if US is accepting E mark aswell, but in general if something gets an E mark, it does also comply with DOT rules (just not tested/certified)
from here

and

Quote:
Valenti is always E-mark certified and we have never got a single report that our US customer being pulled over because of DOT since 2009.
from here.

Also about Tom's:

Quote:
Yes, it does have E-Mark Certification
from here.
piotrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:02 AM   #4
Wyllliam

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I can confirm that there is a variation of TOM's that have E mark.
But the only place i could find them was on a Japanse website.
Ofcourse i bougth and i'm really happy with them.
Wyllliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 03:27 PM   #5
trocade

Drives: Subaru BRZ
I think all JDM spec tom's are E4 compliant, so easiset is to look fro japanese/australian sellers on ebay, I did that
trocade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:22 AM   #6
jtnejc

The E4 mark means that the light was checked in Netherlands to be compliant with the Euro standards. This doesn't necessary mean that the light has for example a TUV certificate or equivalent.

Check at your local technical vehicle verification office if the E4 mark is enough in your country for the lights to be street legal.
In my country (Slovenia) i would not pass the technical vehicle verification with lights that are E marked only... a TUV or similar certificate is obligatory to be street legal and to pass the technical vehicle verification here.
jtnejc is offline   Reply With Quote