follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southern California

Southern California SoCal

User Tag List

Old 08-21-2019, 02:12 PM   #15
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandoX View Post
Well you can't really fight this sort of ticket, you pay the ticket. Also take off that 30% tint, come on man. Anything over 15% is likely to get a ticket.

I don't get this tint thing, sure reflecting the heat is all good but you don't need a super dark tint to do that. When I see a heavy tint job on the front and side driver windows, I think "wtf is this person trying to hide?"

Yeah any tint on the front windshield or two front windows is not legal in Ca, but if your under 10% or 15% its unlikely you will be stopped for it.
I have run 30% tint on every car I have owned since 1995. Why? because I like how it looks. Sure it does help a lot with bright sunshine (ever see sunlight reflecting off snow? it is brutal) and keeping the car cooler (yes it gets hot here) but still it is mostly cosmetic. I have nothing to hide and really I want cops to know there is some old dude in the car. It really is no different that people lowering, putting big tires on, changing to noisy exhausts none of which really do a thing for a street car in that it is a personal preference not an indication they are hiding anything.

Been pulled over several times but have never once had them say anything about it.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:21 PM   #16
CoolHandMoss

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Tint shops will always tell you any tint is legal. It promotes their service. They don't care if you get a ticket.
CoolHandMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CoolHandMoss For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-21-2019)
Old 08-21-2019, 02:43 PM   #17
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I have run 30% tint on every car I have owned since 1995. Why? because I like how it looks. Sure it does help a lot with bright sunshine (ever see sunlight reflecting off snow? it is brutal) and keeping the car cooler (yes it gets hot here) but still it is mostly cosmetic. I have nothing to hide and really I want cops to know there is some old dude in the car. It really is no different that people lowering, putting big tires on, changing to noisy exhausts none of which really do a thing for a street car in that it is a personal preference not an indication they are hiding anything.

Been pulled over several times but have never once had them say anything about it.

To each their own, the tint look was never for me and I never really got the interest. I do want to do a UV tint on other car to reduce heat inside the cab. What is the tinting law in Canada?
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DandoX For This Useful Post:
korhun (08-21-2019)
Old 08-21-2019, 02:46 PM   #18
Tcoat

Quote:
To each their own, the tint look was never for me and I never really got the interest. I do want to do a UV tint on other car to reduce heat inside the cab. What is the tinting law in Canada?
Same as California. They just don't enforce it with much vigor. It does make a good additional ticket if you piss them off and they want to get everything they can or a replacement ticket instead a worse charge if they like you but still have to do something.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:47 PM   #19
xPBx

Drives: 2017 Raven Toyota 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHandMoss View Post
Tint shops will always tell you any tint is legal. It promotes their service. They don't care if you get a ticket.
Well this shop was like "here's the tint this is legal and this isn't" so I chose the legal one. I'll go back to the shop and see what they say. I did get lifetime warranty let's see if that helps me in anyway lol.
xPBx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:49 PM   #20
xPBx

Drives: 2017 Raven Toyota 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Same as California. They just don't enforce it with much vigor. It does make a good additional ticket if you piss them off and they want to get everything they can or a replacement ticket instead a worse charge if they like you but still have to do something.
My car is catless and has a TRD exhaust I honestly thought that was the reason he pulled me over but I guess.
xPBx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xPBx For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-21-2019)
Old 08-21-2019, 02:50 PM   #21
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by korhun View Post
Years ago I got a ticket for a %0 something. It was only for UV filtering. The officer couldn't see but find it with his nails (actually I told him, then he looked; don't tell me stupid it would be worse if he figured out I was lying. And he would.. I'm very bad on lying.. anyway...). He said: "This is for your own good, If you fall into a sea, you can't break the glass if this is on." Nearest sea is maybe 250 miles away to my city. However people were drowned in an underpass in a flood. He might be right..

Thats a good point about the glass not breaking, that is if you even carry an emergency shatter tool. I always worry about a poor tint job or sloppy work or hairs/ bubbles. I'm pretty anal and I always thought I would see something that would be in there it would bother me for ever, or the tint place would scratch up my interior. I was looking for a tint on my other car and I read a bunch of yelp reviews that turned me off to tinting in general.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:51 PM   #22
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPBx View Post
Well this shop was like "here's the tint this is legal and this isn't" so I chose the legal one. I'll go back to the shop and see what they say. I did get lifetime warranty let's see if that helps me in anyway lol.
If a person holding cold meat in their hands, and says " you'll get sick if you eat this one, but not this one" would you trust the cold meat because they said so? They wouldn't even send you a get well card at the hospital

Tint is neat, but unfortunately it is toe-ing the line and police use it as a reason to pull you over and look for other infractions, much like having a taillight out, or something covering part of your license plate.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-21-2019)
Old 08-21-2019, 02:58 PM   #23
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,936 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
No he said any tint is illegal in the front two windows.
He's not 100% accurate but it is pretty tight. Combined it can't be more that 12% and it can't reflect more than an OEM window. Here's a reference.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-21-2019)
Old 08-21-2019, 03:03 PM   #24
Tcoat

Quote:
My car is catless and has a TRD exhaust I honestly thought that was the reason he pulled me over but I guess.
I am not catless but I do have the TRD exhaust. It isn't the loudest exhaust I have ever had but have been pulled over for less. I carry the TRD options from the dealer in with my documents so if every hassled I can pull it out and show it is a legit option for the car. Never had to use it though. Probably because I was prepared.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:09 PM   #25
korhun
Database error

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 1,657 Times in 614 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Thats a good point about the glass not breaking, that is if you even carry an emergency shatter tool. I always worry about a poor tint job or sloppy work or hairs/ bubbles. I'm pretty anal and I always thought I would see something that would be in there it would bother me for ever, or the tint place would scratch up my interior. I was looking for a tint on my other car and I read a bunch of yelp reviews that turned me off to tinting in general.
I hate very dark tints on cars. It is a ricer thing to me; unless they are used for a purpose like snow as Mr Tcoat mentioned. My wife insisted on darker windows for the children not to be affected by the sun. I was unable to drive that car at night due to the bad visibility, so I have the them removed from front windows (and the back one). They were also not good for insulating the sun heat, although seller claimed that they have an UV filter. For BRZ I've found a good quality %0 dark, UV filtered one; and I am now very happy about its sun heat insulation. I hate using AC. I want the %100 of the engine be mine all the time..

And I will learn English in time, I hope, sorry for this shit.
korhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:22 PM   #26
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,976 Times in 2,195 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Infra-red is what brings the heat to cook you, and microwaves from the radar gun.
UV won't help with the heat, only cancer.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:41 PM   #27
korhun
Database error

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 1,657 Times in 614 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcj View Post
Infra-red is what brings the heat to cook you, and microwaves from the radar gun.
UV won't help with the heat, only cancer.
So mine must have a IR filter, because when I open the window, it gets hotter.

Edit: I've made a little research now, you are right, it has health issues...

Last edited by korhun; 08-21-2019 at 04:00 PM.
korhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:51 PM   #28
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by korhun View Post
And I will learn English in time, I hope, sorry for this shit.

Nothing wrong with your English, I understood what your saying more than some people who write English natively.
The Following User Says Thank You to DandoX For This Useful Post:
korhun (08-21-2019)