follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 12-08-2017, 10:13 AM   #1
allowe

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Battery suggestions please

Today I went to go start my car and it wouldn’t crank over. I had a friend help me boost it and I drove it for 40 minutes. Turned off the car for 5 minutes to fill it up with gas, tried to crank it and again, it wouldn’t turn over. So now I’m shopping for a battery.

What’s the strongest battery I can put into my car? I do have a subwoofer installed and I ordered a vico power discharge pack for my dash cam which will cut out at 12.6 volt so I can start my car.

I’m currently looking at an optima yellow top (AGM). However, I heard that they cannot be charged back to full with the alternator which is a huge issue for me. I’ve also heard people ranting about them being POS.

I’m willing to pay a lot for a really good battery for the peace of mind.

Thanks for reading !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
allowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:46 AM   #2
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I've had really good luck with the Interstate batteries for a 'regular' battery. Costco has them branded as Kirkland batteries pretty cheap too.

The Optima Blue Tops are deep cycles that are pretty epic, and if you want to shed some weight I really like the Odyssey PC680 and PC925. I've had a PC925 in my Forester XT for 3 years now and it's been great. After three weeks of sitting it still fired up, and it drove my car home 25 minutes when my alternator blew and I had to get it home to swap it. The battery was dead flat when I killed it pulling into my garage, but a night on a battery tender jr and it's been going another year since then with zero issues.
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 04:07 PM   #3
allowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzleSAURUS View Post
I've had really good luck with the Interstate batteries for a 'regular' battery. Costco has them branded as Kirkland batteries pretty cheap too.

The Optima Blue Tops are deep cycles that are pretty epic, and if you want to shed some weight I really like the Odyssey PC680 and PC925. I've had a PC925 in my Forester XT for 3 years now and it's been great. After three weeks of sitting it still fired up, and it drove my car home 25 minutes when my alternator blew and I had to get it home to swap it. The battery was dead flat when I killed it pulling into my garage, but a night on a battery tender jr and it's been going another year since then with zero issues.

Thanks for your input! Blue optimas aren’t made to be used for such applications where it keeps getting discharged regularly.

The Following User Says Thank You to allowe For This Useful Post:
Leonardo (12-08-2017)
Old 12-08-2017, 05:01 PM   #4
sharpsicle
Certs You Dont Care About

Drives: 2013 Galaxy Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Red tops are the best choice for heavy electronic load while the car is running, such as subs/amps and whatnot.

Yellow tops are great for people with electronics running when the car is parked (security, dash-cams, and the like). I run yellow personally and have no issues or complaints.

Both batteries will be charged by your alternator with no issue.
sharpsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:37 PM   #5
allowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpsicle View Post
Red tops are the best choice for heavy electronic load while the car is running, such as subs/amps and whatnot.

Yellow tops are great for people with electronics running when the car is parked (security, dash-cams, and the like). I run yellow personally and have no issues or complaints.

Both batteries will be charged by your alternator with no issue.

I just bought a yellow top. Better be safe than sorry . Are you running any dash cams? Or anything while it’s parked? Any problems with that battery?.

Old 12-08-2017, 08:17 PM   #6
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by allowe View Post
I do have a subwoofer installed and I ordered a vico power discharge pack for my dash cam which will cut out at 12.6 volt so I can start my car.
You got the best battery IMHO. Otimas are awesome batteries, if a little on the heavy side.

To protect the Optima and your alternator, get a capacitor for your sub. When the bass hits and there's a sudden huge electrical demand, the alternator and battery get a large sudden draw which shortens the lifespan of components. I don't know how big your amp is, but for the cost, a cap is a good investment and you'll have less distortion.
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to guybo For This Useful Post:
allowe (12-09-2017)
Old 12-08-2017, 09:41 PM   #7
sharpsicle
Certs You Dont Care About

Drives: 2013 Galaxy Blue BRZ
Quote:
I just bought a yellow top. Better be safe than sorry . Are you running any dash cams? Or anything while it’s parked? Any problems with that battery?.

Yeah, a DR650S with cooling fans added on. Only problem I had was when they failed to shut off while it was parked for 4 days, but I jumped the car and got it charged back up in no-time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybo View Post
To protect the Optima and your alternator, get a capacitor for your sub. When the bass hits and there's a sudden huge electrical demand, the alternator and battery get a large sudden draw which shortens the lifespan of components. I don't know how big your amp is, but for the cost, a cap is a good investment and you'll have less distortion.
This x1000. Can't recommend this enough to anyone with an aftermarket system. If you don't have one already, get a 1 farad right out the gate, you won't regret it.
sharpsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sharpsicle For This Useful Post:
allowe (12-09-2017), Busybee (10-14-2019)
Old 12-09-2017, 12:56 AM   #8
allowe

Battery suggestions please

Thanks both for your inputs!

My dash cam is a viofo a119. I heard that the parking system on it kinda sucks, so it’s going to be recording all the time. I will have a battery cut off pack (vicos) and was wondering, what’s the lowest voltage our needs to turn over and start

Old 12-09-2017, 03:48 AM   #9
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,187 Times in 3,474 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
If your car is still under warranty you can get the battery replaced by the dealer. I had issues with my original battery, got it exchanged under warranty and (touch wood) not had an issue since (2years in).
JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 11:26 PM   #10
ChrisW

Drives: Subie blue 2017 limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I swapped in an Optima Yellowtop due to running a dashcam. Had it running over 24 hours and still above 12 volts the next day.
ChrisW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisW For This Useful Post:
Busybee (10-14-2019)
Old 12-11-2017, 09:15 AM   #11
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for your input! Blue optimas aren’t made to be used for such applications where it keeps getting discharged regularly.

I've used those to power reverse plows, a whole storm on one charge. I've had issues with lifespan on yellowtops, (sub-1 year,) but red tops have been fine in my experience too.

Good to know the blues are a bit more application specific than I had realized...
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:25 PM   #12
Busybee

Drives: BRZ limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
I swapped in an Optima Yellowtop due to running a dashcam. Had it running over 24 hours and still above 12 volts the next day.
Do you mind asking the model number of the optima yellowtop. Did you do anything extra or just take out the old and put the new one?

thanks

Mazda 323F BA 1997 - Overseas
Mazda 323 BG 1994 - Sold
Mazda 323 BG 1991 - Sold
Busybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 10:51 AM   #13
HaXx

Drives: jrsc_brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busybee View Post
Do you mind asking the model number of the optima yellowtop. Did you do anything extra or just take out the old and put the new one?

thanks
anyone? im gonna need a new battery in the spring, i was thinking id go yellowtop. as much as i want a lith ion, i dont want to mod the battery tray for the smaller unit.

Edit: dont know why i asked, instead of googling optima yellowtop for brz lol. here it is
https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-u...2.0L&find=find

Last edited by HaXx; 11-24-2019 at 10:57 AM. Reason: found
HaXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 11:08 AM   #14
HaXx

Drives: jrsc_brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsnake11 View Post
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-HEADWAY-3...72.m2749.l2649
I used 8 of these and built a battery placed in a plastic ammo box.
what are you, some kind of electrical engineering genius? is that you tony stark? elon musk?
HaXx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HaXx For This Useful Post:
JD001 (11-25-2019), solidsnake11 (11-27-2019)