follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 04-02-2018, 10:56 PM   #29
spicyricecake

Drives: 2017 CWP BRZ Performance Package
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
What was the natural rear camber at the recommended height? Trying to decide if I need LCA or not.
spicyricecake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:24 AM   #30
Barefootdan

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicyricecake View Post
What was the natural rear camber at the recommended height? Trying to decide if I need LCA or not.
I checked with my alignment guy and he said it was pretty negative. I think we were around -2.5 on one side and -2.9 on the other.
Barefootdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 11:21 AM   #31
spicyricecake

Drives: 2017 CWP BRZ Performance Package
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefootdan View Post
I checked with my alignment guy and he said it was pretty negative. I think we were around -2.5 on one side and -2.9 on the other.
Cool, thanks for the update! This confirms that I need LCAs...
spicyricecake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spicyricecake For This Useful Post:
Barefootdan (04-03-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 05:36 PM   #32
Turbo86

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Do these require adjustable swaybar endlinks to get rid of swaybar preload?
If so, is it required at all ride heights or just a specific height?
Also, what kind of maintenance is recommended for the coilovers?
Do we need to be use a dry graphite lube every once in a while on the camber plates and rear tophats?

Last edited by Turbo86; 04-03-2018 at 05:47 PM.
Turbo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 07:42 PM   #33
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo86 View Post
Do these require adjustable swaybar endlinks to get rid of swaybar preload?
If so, is it required at all ride heights or just a specific height?
Also, what kind of maintenance is recommended for the coilovers?
Do we need to be use a dry graphite lube every once in a while on the camber plates and rear tophats?
- Depends on if you're slammed or not. The sway mount is offset for OEM end links.

- Rebuild when you need to add clicks to maintain damping behavior. This means the oil is worn down.

- please don't use graphite as a dry lube. That will destroy the bearings.
CSG Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Barefootdan (04-03-2018), Turbo86 (04-04-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 02:29 PM   #34
Turbo86

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
- Depends on if you're slammed or not. The sway mount is offset for OEM end links.

- Rebuild when you need to add clicks to maintain damping behavior. This means the oil is worn down.

- please don't use graphite as a dry lube. That will destroy the bearings.
I'll be running the recommended height settings. I was wondering if the bearings are PTFE lined and self lubricating, good to know, thanks.
Turbo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:31 AM   #35
Barefootdan

First track event went wonderfully with these. I started out at 4f/6r but ended the day at 6f/8r. I tested 8f/8r also but decided that 6f/8r had better feel and turn in. Next event I'll play around with taking the rear to 6 and see how it feels. This track is pretty rough in the curbs and some sizable bumps in the straights, for reference.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Barefootdan For This Useful Post:
aimforapex (04-10-2018), CSG Mike (04-08-2018), Turbo86 (04-13-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 03:26 PM   #36
CounterSpace Garage

Drives: Subaru BRZ / Toyota 86 Experts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
We're going to bump this up to the top. People are trying to bury you into internet cache @Barefootdan.

Thank you for all the orders guys. We got quite a good community out there with this coilover setup. Let us know if you have any inquiries! Don't hesitate to post your impressions! Happy driving!
CounterSpace Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CounterSpace Garage For This Useful Post:
Barefootdan (04-30-2018), brybot (11-01-2018), Kenny_LongWrench (04-24-2018), mistople (04-26-2018), Rybot (03-13-2019), Turbo86 (04-24-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 11:12 PM   #37
mistople

Drives: 2017 BRZ (Sold), 2023 GR86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Arrived today!

mistople is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mistople For This Useful Post:
Barefootdan (04-30-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 04:18 PM   #38
mjanmohammad

Drives: Boosted 2017 BRZ PP. GT2860RS, JDL.
Garage
Will these work with aftermarket camber plates like Vorshlag? I have them on my car now and want to keep using them for the caster difference
Old 04-27-2018, 10:57 PM   #39
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjanmohammad View Post
Will these work with aftermarket camber plates like Vorshlag? I have them on my car now and want to keep using them for the caster difference
As long as you the the right top nut and make the rest of the assembly fit, it CAN be made to work.
CSG Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 01:11 PM   #40
TurtReynolds

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
I don't post much, but this was worth logging in for.

Installation and Un-Boxing:

Received my CSG Spec Tein flex A Thursday after pickup from UPS and got them installed on Friday evening after placing my order in November with some help from @CSG_Mike. The wait has been long and I only wish I had gotten in on the first batch. Install was pretty painless and right out of the box the heights are basically bang on. I'm talking maybe 0.30mm off from the recommended 40mm for section "B" Tein specs. I only had to adjust the fronts ever so slightly to get to the recommended height. The rears were perfectly matched. Pre-torqued at the factory, but double checked to be sure.

The coils are exceptionally well-finished and feel high quality. The manual, despite being half in Japanese is easy enough to understand; though I had to embarrassingly look up a video from Tein on how to properly adjust the height on them. It could use some clarity there, but everything else is fantastic.

Maybe something more under track settings other than "Contact Counterspace Garage" for damper settings would be nice as a base point; but I can see why that isn't there due to setup and track variables.

The little "Counterspace Garage" plaque on each shock body is a nice touch. CSG is obviously proud to put their name on this product and they absolutely should be.

Installed with a set of SPC Adjustable Rear Lower Control arms and I even used my "OEM Camber Bolts" because I forgot to bring my new OEM top bolts. Oops. Went in fine. For the uninitiated, this is basically just using an extra lower bolt up front at the hub in the top bolt slot and pushing the hub back as much as humanly possible to get negative camber.

Adjustment of the top plates is supremely easy. I "zeroed" them out until I can get an alignment after I drive it around a bit to let the suspension settle; but did my level best to get things as even and correct as I could with my speedshop mechanic. The car tracks true and shows no signs of pulling, jerking, or wandering whatsoever. We did our best with the rear lower control arms and used a level on the brake disk during adjustment to get things drivable.

The only "complaint" I can honestly cite is packaging. The coils are packed VERY well, but UPS wasn't gentle with my set and two of the coils sit on the bottom of the box with nothing between them, but a single layer of cardboard. One of the spring perches actually began cutting through the box itself. This is NOT CSG's fault. This is just UPS being UPS with a box that weighs nearly 60lbs. Watching the customer service rep drag it across the floor after refusing to let me retrieve the package from what looked like a closet was painful.

Fortunately CSG ships these with proper insurance coverage and thankfully I didn't have to use it because everything looked okay. Tein still needs better packaging, but it's better than some of the shipping jobs I have seen by a long shot.

- - - - -

Driving impressions:

After everything was buttoned up and the dampening set to the recommended "comfort" setting (8 from stiff up front and 11 in the rear) , I took her (cautiously) for her first drive to ensure there were no clunks, noises, or any weird drivability issues.

and I found...

Nothing.

Install went perfect. It was easy. No clunks. No noises. Even though the plates are solid metal up top. No feedback issues. Nothing. They are absolutely silent. All bolts and collars are still where they need to be, even the little allen screws up top for camber. Too often have I heard of those "backing" out or becoming loose. Not these.

I did have one minor scare where I started hearing/feeling feedback from the driver's side after swapping wheels and tires Saturday evening akin to what I thought may have been an untorqued set of lug nuts, but I'm confident it was the road surface itself because it didn't happen anywhere else at all.

Honestly, if my speedshop guy hadn't stopped to mount an assload of Corvette tires for some autocross friends of ours, this job could have been done in less than 90 minutes and that's including the control arms and adjustments.

We did it in just about two hours.

Back to drivability.

First word to come to mind? Smooth. These coils are insanely smooth. I'm coming off the base suspension of a 2017 Toyota 86, so I don't have a performance pack or anything; but have driven one. It's VERY similar in feel, but smoother overall. Maybe a tad stiffer; but not jarring or uncomfortable at all. I purpose have hit some Chicago style road blemishes (Our roads are similar to driving on the moon) to try to see how they would bottom out and react and, while it's definitely stiff and noticeable (Even shocking at first), they didn't bottom out and recomposed immediately.

They. Are. Wonderful.

They even pass the girlfriend test. She said they feel stiffer overall, but not so stiff that it sucks to ride in the car. The drop isn't too severe either and she said she barely notices as the car was already low from factory.

The dampers are extremely high in resolution. You can feel so much of everything and even unaligned I feel as if I have more control of the car and more of an idea of what is going on down at the road surface. It's pretty damn nice.

I obviously have not pushed the car too much because it isn't aligned and I don't want to destroy my tires with wear from unknown toe and camber; but overall they're just fantastic and for the money these are a goddamned steal. CSG should be charging more. There isn't a better coil on the market at this price point or probably even several hundred dollars more; not that I have the credentials to suggest as much.

The car is currently installed with the Stranoparts front swaybar and some Whiteline adjustable end links. I have a love/hate relationship with this bar because the end links are digging into my frame and it really just BARELY fits the car if installed perfectly. This stinks because the bar feels amazing for autocross; but it clearly just doesn't fit. I noticed Sam doesn't sell the bar anymore; so it will probably never be corrected. I'm not the only one who noticed install issues with it, however. A shame to be sure. Some tweaks (welded collars like the perrin, instructions in the box for installation and end link adjustment, etc) would probably have made it perfect.

I've only caused issue once at full lock with the bar because it's probably slightly further biased to the driver's side on centering by a mm or two and it rubbed on my 255 tires (at full lock driver's side) that i put on to try out and check clearance on with my 17x9 57xtremes. If you're wondering; yes they clear and they do so with damn near two fingers of space to spare. There's even more space in back.

I'll probably put the stock bar back on at some point with the stock end links which both my speedshop guy and I agree will fit absolutely fine; even with the drop. Actually, it will probably fit better.

On stock suspension, this setup contacts the springs and perches up front with this size tire and wheel and any negative camber at all.

My first autocross on this car is shaping up to be May 13th and first track day will be May 25th. Those will really give me a chance to experience what these coils were truly made to do; race. I can describe how excited I am for that.

My money was well spent and CSG has been very good to me. This community is so so lucky to have CSG. I am proud to exclusively buy my parts through them as appreciation for the advice and direction they provide me almost daily. Everything they do is tested and tested thoroughly and has my utmost confidence. I don't sell easy or trust easily and they've gained that from me without hesitation.

If you buy these; you will absolutely not be disappointed. Not one bit.

Huge appreciation and thanks go out to @CSG_David and @CSG_Mike for all of their incredible advice and for dealing with me as a customer. My experience could not have been better and I can't wait to put all this stuff to work!
TurtReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TurtReynolds For This Useful Post:
Barefootdan (04-30-2018), CounterSpace Garage (05-01-2018), J95 (09-22-2023), mistople (05-02-2018), Turbo86 (05-01-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 01:18 PM   #41
Barefootdan

Awesome review! Report back after your autocross day, I’m curious to what settings you’ll land on
Old 04-30-2018, 01:56 PM   #42
TurtReynolds

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefootdan View Post
Awesome review! Report back after your autocross day, I’m curious to what settings you’ll land on
I'm probably going to try some of the settings I have seen posted here and pair with an experienced STX friend of mine to see what we can figure out. Not a lot can be done with only six runs and a winter of cobwebs; so it'll be interesting!

Our site is rather large and mostly smooth asphalt with very minor camber changes (it's a drag strip parking lot at rt66 raceway in Joliet, IL) caused by sitting trailers when there are other race events, but it's well-maintained and should be fine.
TurtReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TurtReynolds For This Useful Post:
Barefootdan (05-01-2018)