follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List
CSG Mike, gramicci101, grant86, GrimmSpeed, JDLAutoDesign, JRitt, KCMachine, King Tut, MillersOilsUS, PERRIN, phastafrican, Racecomp Engineering, Raceseng, Roadcone, Sportsguy83, UltramarineLuck, VerusEric, Wonderbar, Xero-Limit

Old 08-14-2013, 11:07 AM   #449
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Cranium View Post
Was it actually cracked or otherwise broken? I've heard of other people being initially upset later changing their mind after setting the lip out in the sun for several hours. Just curious as I'm interested in the skirts and rear spats he has available.
The box looked like it had been folded over, pinching the spoiler inside with zero packing material aside from a plastic sheath that had two holes in it, and every single piece of hardware was loose in the box, just rattling around each end of it. I found a small plastic bag inside that had a large hole in the bottom which was in the long plastic sheath. The lip was badly warped and looked like it was run over with a truck and dragged around on the ground. Pics here: http://imgur.com/a/c1Fq9

Jon did not have a replacement to offer me.
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ATL BRZ For This Useful Post:
chanomatik (08-15-2013)
Old 08-14-2013, 11:17 AM   #450
Richard Cranium
Ted

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Wow.....very, very disappointing.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:12 PM   #451
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Perrin Oil Cooler Kit just arrived:

There was a long delay after I ordered on June 26th since Perrin were having some issues with their core supplier, Mocal. These cores have all been pressure tested to ensure there are no leaks.

As you can see the kit is comprehensive and includes pre-cut lines with 10AN fittings as well as a thermostatic sandwich plate so I can run it year round without worrying about the oil getting too cool in the winter. I wanted a complete thermostatic kit that was plug and play with support and Perrin delivered just that; even a new oil filter.

Last edited by ATL BRZ; 08-16-2013 at 05:17 PM.
chanomatik (08-15-2013)
Old 08-15-2013, 08:18 PM   #452
chanomatik
Snow Don't Hurt!

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT CBS
Thanked 1,497 Times in 902 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
I just had to ship my CS style front lip back to the vendor (JonMotoring) since the shipping quality was unacceptable and the product arrived warped and damaged so I couldn't install it. Getting a refund and moving on to another vendor.

Any suggestions for a forum vendor who are selling front lips for under $200 and with good shipping quality would be greatly appreciated!

My Perrin Oil Cooler arrives tomorrow. I need to grab some 0W-30 to switch over to when I install it.
I was just going to buy my lip an sideskirts from eBay. I almost went with JonMotoring, but eBay has them for cheaper with reasonable shipping.
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chanomatik For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (08-15-2013)
Old 08-15-2013, 08:20 PM   #453
tinma

Drives: '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
One of my favourite brz on this forum. Very clean!
tinma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tinma For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (08-15-2013)
Old 08-15-2013, 08:59 PM   #454
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Since I'm already running Millers Racing 300+ brake fluid and Millers CRX 75w90 NT Trans & Diff fluid, I decided to finish things off with 7 liters of Millers Nanodrive CFS 0w30 NT from Performance Racing Oils.

That should cover the sump plus the cooler capacity with about 1/2 liter to spare.

Millers have dyno'ed a stock GT86 with the same in 20 weight and measured 6 WHP over the factory fill in a dyno.
Here's the write up with charts: http://www.millersoils.co.uk/news/20...Power-Test.asp

I may see marginally less gains with the 30 weight but based on @Dave-ROR 's experience with oil pressures being uncomfortably low with 20 weight while running an oil cooler I thought I'd go with the 30 weight.

Some more info on the Millers Nanodrive oil:

Quote:
Fully Synthetic Triple Ester Nano Technology Formulation. For modern competition engines where maximum power release and ultra low friction are required. Formulated for use in qualifying or shorter duration events where the engine is designed to take advantage of this type of low drag/low friction lubricant.

APPLICATION: For competition engines where maximum power release is the preferred criteria, especially for qualifying or shorter duration events where the engine has been designed for this type of crankcase lubricant. Intended for racing and track use. Can be used for road cars where a fully synthetic 0w30 is recommended by the original manufacturer.

USER BENEFITS: Fully synthetic Triple Ester Nano Technology Oil provides:
• Significantly reduced friction
• Reduced component wear promotes longer engine life
• Reduced heat production
• Increased power output and torque
• Improved reliability
• Improved energy efficiency
• Superior anti-friction and anti-wear characteristics

PERFORMANCE PROFILE:
• Manufactured to far exceed the requirements of API SM/CF and ACEA A3/B4
• Formulated for modern high revving engines used in circuit racing, endurance and for events such as hill climbs and sprints
• Dyno proven by Zytek to add power over other racing synthetics
• Suitable for continuous operation at 260°F with peak temperatures up to 300°F
I love durability mods, especially if they are proven to add power and keep it consistent on the track!

Last edited by ATL BRZ; 08-16-2013 at 01:58 AM.
chanomatik (08-16-2013)
Old 08-16-2013, 12:03 AM   #455
dxero

Drives: 13 BRZ Sport Tech WRB
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Great looking ride! Love those rims for the brz, I might be picking them up sometime early next year! Also good thing I read about your front lip, was about to buy one also from Jon. Might just have to go with the HTauto set
dxero is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dxero For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (08-16-2013)
Old 08-16-2013, 12:46 AM   #456
Llyon V2

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Clean BRZ and it's great to see you're having fun with her!
Llyon V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Llyon V2 For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (08-16-2013)
Old 08-16-2013, 03:25 AM   #457
automowdown

Drives: '13 brz, and soon electric '90 crx
Thanks for sharing. This forum is like crack because of people like you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
The factory bumper accessory here:

Is not functional at all and is purely cosmetic.
I just got my brz a few weeks ago and I was curious what this "diffuser" option looked like. I agree that it's silly, but I'm not sure that I agree that it's 100% cosmetic. It seems like the piece has some rake to it, which would make it more like a lower spoiler than a lift-neutral decoration.

Quote:
To get real measurable downforce you need a full diffuser that goes back almost to the differential and creates a low pressure area under the car at high speeds. It should cover up nearly everything underneath in that area to maximize the effect, and flush the air out upwards off the back of the car, like this:

The factory suitcase muffler was actually designed to have this effect at speed, but not nearly as significant as a full diffuser.
It seems to me that the vertical slats would ideally extend all the way down from the backmost point on the diffuser to the lowermost point. This would no doubt impact speedbump and driveway clearance. On the other hand, I'm a software engineer rather than a real engineer, so WTF do I know.
automowdown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to automowdown For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (08-16-2013)
Old 08-16-2013, 09:07 AM   #458
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by automowdown View Post
It seems to me that the vertical slats would ideally extend all the way down from the backmost point on the diffuser to the lowermost point. This would no doubt impact speedbump and driveway clearance. On the other hand, I'm a software engineer rather than a real engineer, so WTF do I know.
So basically, this: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42605

Based on these pics, it looks like it will provide plenty of speedbump and driveway clearance. I'm waiting to see what the black powedercoating option looks like and I'll probably not be able to resist ordering one.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:14 AM   #459
mfbmike

Drives: 2013 FRS, 2008 R32
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Good stuff. In late. Will catch up when time permits.
mfbmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:04 AM   #460
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

It was nice and cool last night so I thought I'd see what the Dynomaster app had to say during my drive home.

I should have done more than just 1 pull but it was getting late and I was tired. A real dyno would be more accurate with rpm-based power and torque read directly from the rear wheels. The Dynomaster app calculates horsepower at the wheels from GPS speed data, elapsed time and a user defined weight of 2922lb (2762 + 160 for me), 15% drivetrain loss as measured by Perrin, .28 coefficient of drag, and 17.5 sq ft frontal area.

Anyways here it is; the pull was WOT from a 1st gear roll through 3rd gear letting off in 4th on a flat, empty road

Power mods include Moto-East E85 tune, VMS Cold air intake, and the WORKS AB-M axleback. Still the stock header/over/front/mid pipe. My 235's out back were losing traction going into 3rd gear on dry pavement. This car is FUN now and will be an absolute riot once the JDL UEL header is installed and I flash an optimized tune for it.

Thanks again @moto-mike , I applaud your tuning work!

Last edited by ATL BRZ; 08-16-2013 at 04:53 PM.
chanomatik (08-16-2013)
Old 08-16-2013, 03:56 PM   #461
Xero-Limit

Drives: JDL Turbo FRS, 335SC BRZ (ret)
Thanked 1,547 Times in 525 Posts
Mentioned: 380 Post(s)
Glad you're enjoying it! The puddle of drool is getting deeper here too as we await the header.
Xero-Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Xero-Limit For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (08-16-2013)
Old 08-22-2013, 04:15 PM   #462
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

I was recently invited to become a coach with Hooked on Driving who offer free track time so this fall I'll be getting more track time than I had originally planned for!

If all goes according to plan I'll be driving/instructing at:
Needless to say I'm provisioning the brake pads again since the car will be consistently faster than before with the recent power mods. The Project Mu HC+800s I'm currently running are a great hybrid pad that offer quiet-ish street operation and 0-800C range for fade-free track usage but the fronts wore a little too quickly for my admittedly aggressive driving style on track.

Since I'll have a lot more track time than expected this year it doesn't make sense to keep burning through hybrid pads and leaving them on for the street, so I just ordered a set of these from @CounterSpace Garage

and will be swapping them on exclusively for track duty going forward. I still have my old StopTech Street Performance pads and I'll just swap back to those after each event.

Last edited by ATL BRZ; 08-26-2013 at 01:02 PM.
chanomatik (08-22-2013)

Tags
jdl turbo, mazworx, racecomp engineering, track build, verus engineering