follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List
CSG Mike, gramicci101, grant86, GrimmSpeed, JDLAutoDesign, JRitt, KCMachine, King Tut, MillersOilsUS, PERRIN, phastafrican, Racecomp Engineering, Raceseng, Roadcone, Sportsguy83, UltramarineLuck, VerusEric, Wonderbar, Xero-Limit

Old 03-27-2017, 12:55 PM   #1835
Carlos_M

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Been a long time follower of this awesome thread!! Curious though, on your seat selection, more so the switch of harnesses. Any reason why you strayed from the Schroth ones? would there be any benefit on running those seats and Schroth harnesses or was it an aesthetic thing?

-Carlos
Carlos_M is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Carlos_M For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 01:16 PM   #1836
GTHachiRoku
Big in Japan

Drives: turBRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
More parts rolling in.

ACT SB8-XTSS clutch kit
Braum Venom Seats w/ red stitching
Braum 5-point SFI Harnesses
Planted seat brackets.
I am really looking forward to hearing your feedback on the seats.
I'm still up the air on seats, but need them badly... I'm tired of hunching for track days

Aesthetically, these look great!
GTHachiRoku is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GTHachiRoku For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 01:54 PM   #1837
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig85 View Post
When did JDL release a turbo kit? This is news to me. I've been back and forth on which route I'd like to go, but either way it's not something I'd explore for a few years.
JDL have been making turbo kits for the 86 for a few years now alongside some 1600+ NA headers for this platform. The newest revision of their turbo kit is the best yet.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmdqzWcCt3Q"]JDL UEL86/BRZ Turbo Kit - YouTube[/ame]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_M View Post
Been a long time follower of this awesome thread!! Curious though, on your seat selection, more so the switch of harnesses. Any reason why you strayed from the Schroth ones? would there be any benefit on running those seats and Schroth harnesses or was it an aesthetic thing?

-Carlos
My seat selection was based on a few things. #1) I did not want fixed back buckets because I wanted my car to stay comfortable for longer drives and I didn't want to be obligated to weld in a roll cage and remove airbags as you should do to have a safe setup with fixed back seats. I've been down the full racecar interior road before and it's a slippery slope that can ruin the fun, comfort and flexibility of a street-driven car #2) I wanted seats that matched my interior that has red stitching all over, but offered integrated headrests with slots to guide my harnesses more ergonomically than the stock seats and headrests.

The Venom seats match my stock seats really well but provide a much lighter seat (20 lbs lighter than stock) with bigger, more supportive bolsters but still comfortable enough to street drive on for longer intervals and allow passengers of different sizes to also be comfortable and adjust to their preferences. Nothing super racecar or expensive, just a nice basic upgrade from stock seats.

The Schroth Profi II ASM FE 4 point harnesses are great, but I don't really need them anymore since Braum gave me a great deal on the whole lot. For now, I'm keeping the interior street friendly and plenty safe enough for HPDE use. The Braum 5 points are SFI approved and look and feel just as nice aesthetically, so I'll sell my Schroth and enjoy these Braums for a while.
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ATL BRZ For This Useful Post:
Carlos_M (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 02:34 PM   #1838
Carlos_M

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Appreciate the feedback!

-Carlos
Carlos_M is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Carlos_M For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (03-27-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 09:26 AM   #1839
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
My seat selection was based on a few things. #1) I did not want fixed back buckets because I wanted my car to stay comfortable for longer drives and I didn't want to be obligated to weld in a roll cage and remove airbags as you should do to have a safe setup with fixed back seats. I've been down the full racecar interior road before and it's a slippery slope that can ruin the fun, comfort and flexibility of a street-driven car #2) I wanted seats that matched my interior that has red stitching all over, but offered integrated headrests with slots to guide my harnesses more ergonomically than the stock seats and headrests.

The Venom seats match my stock seats really well but provide a much lighter seat (20 lbs lighter than stock) with bigger, more supportive bolsters but still comfortable enough to street drive on for longer intervals and allow passengers of different sizes to also be comfortable and adjust to their preferences. Nothing super racecar or expensive, just a nice basic upgrade from stock seats.

The Schroth Profi II ASM FE 4 point harnesses are great, but I don't really need them anymore since Braum gave me a great deal on the whole lot. For now, I'm keeping the interior street friendly and plenty safe enough for HPDE use. The Braum 5 points are SFI approved and look and feel just as nice aesthetically, so I'll sell my Schroth and enjoy these Braums for a while.
Very nice seat and belt selection.

I think that it's a nice balance to keep the car safe.

PS: Looking to sell your Scroth harnesses?
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazzleSAURUS For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (03-28-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 05:06 AM   #1840
spicyricecake

Drives: 2017 CWP BRZ Performance Package
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
can't wait to see this through! I really want this kit over the SBD kit for the UEL manifold option.
spicyricecake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spicyricecake For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 09:25 AM   #1841
Deep Six

Drives: 2013 FRS / 2013 427 Vert
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Diminishing returns with a SC and ethanol + pulleys. Originally wanted to keep things simple with a SC kit but the power and response from these relatively small, new generation turbochargers is tough to beat. Plus I've been a fan of JDL's products since they started building them for this platform five years ago. The idea of a UEL turbo kit always really excited me because I'm a die-hard Subaru fanboy plus the 718's I drive regularly at work sound amazing but until now I've never been fully satisfied with the layout of the available UEL (or UEL compatible) turbo kits, including JDL's, until now. I really think they have a winner at the $2999 base price point considering the other option there is still very controversial due to its origins and where it's being produced. It's no secret that JDL are sourcing intercoolers and most of the charge piping from Zage in Taiwan but there's no blood on their hands from using a tried and true layout that's extremely cost effective. JDL's hot parts have always been an original design and made in the USA. Customer service and support from JDL has always been excellent considering they are a relatively small operation driven by fellow enthusiasts with a passion for fabrication. As soon as I saw the new JDL turbo kits I knew I wanted one and the opportunity arose for me to get a great deal on one that's configured exactly how I want it. Needless to say I'm super excited to get it all together soon.

I'm very interested to see if you are happy with the heat management seeing we both drive in the same climate. I went the JR high boost C30 direction for that specific reason. I've only been out once and while I had zero issues with oil temp or IAT's I have to say I would like more torque just after upshifting.
2013 FR-S Asphalt BC Coils/Rev Works UEL header/HKS Front Pipe/Racing Brake BBK/Shorai LW Battery/ACT 6 Puck Clutch/FBM Radiator & Oil Pan/JR Oil Cooler/Jackson Racing High Boost C30/Rev Works Built Motor
2016 Audi TTS APR Tuned
Deep Six is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Deep Six For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (03-29-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 02:19 PM   #1842
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Odds and ends.

Velox bellhousing cover, Omni 3 Bar MAP sensor and Fumoto drain valve for the AOS.

The stock rubber bellhousing cover can easily get dislodged and fall into the clutch assembly and get chewed up.
Old 04-06-2017, 02:46 PM   #1843
Whooppee777

Drives: 2014 DGM BRZ Limited
Quote:
JDL have been making turbo kits for the 86 for a few years now alongside some 1600+ NA headers for this platform. The newest revision of their turbo kit is the best yet.

I wasn't going to upgrade my seats but damn do those look great, and I could save weight. Damn you...why you do this to me?!

'14 BRZ Limited
'17 Crosstrek
'87 Buick Grand National
Whooppee777 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Whooppee777 For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (04-06-2017), Bramick (04-11-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 03:18 PM   #1844
Cockatoo
TALLY FT86

Drives: 2014 FR-S Monogram -- SBD Turbo --
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Odds and ends.

Velox bellhousing cover, Omni 3 Bar MAP sensor and Fumoto drain valve for the AOS.

The stock rubber bellhousing cover can easily get dislodged and fall into the clutch assembly and get chewed up.
Cool idea for the Fumoto valve!
Cockatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cockatoo For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (04-06-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 03:38 PM   #1845
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockatoo View Post
Cool idea for the Fumoto valve!
Yep. Eric made them threaded just like the stock oil pan bolt specifically to accept the valves. I already have one on my oil pan and love it, so it just makes sense
Old 04-11-2017, 02:00 PM   #1846
Bramick

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited M/T
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
For sale by Eric or another place?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 04-11-2017, 02:51 PM   #1847
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramick View Post
For sale by Eric or another place?
I got mine on Amazon. http://a.co/gve9sGb
The Following User Says Thank You to ATL BRZ For This Useful Post:
Bramick (04-11-2017)
Old 04-17-2017, 11:26 AM   #1848
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

My turbo kit shipped on Friday! Ordered some more supporting mods

-FullBlown Walbro 485 fuel pump kit
-ID 1050x fuel injectors
-Grimmspeed gaskets

Tuning with James Martin @ HRI Tuning and I have a EcuTek Bluetooth module ordered and on the way for use with the ECU Connect mobile app for Android.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ATL BRZ For This Useful Post:
DocWalt (04-18-2017), DustinS (04-17-2017), GTHachiRoku (04-17-2017), jmimac351 (04-17-2017), PR138 (04-18-2017)

Tags
jdl turbo, mazworx, racecomp engineering, track build, verus engineering