follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 10-12-2014, 11:33 PM   #29
904FRSlow

Drives: '13 FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Always in sport mode because i never drive it in auto mode
904FRSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 11:56 PM   #30
Kostamojen

Drives: 1993 Impreza w/ WRX Swap + FWD!
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Always have Sport mode on (traction control off, stability control on) unless its raining.

I can't stand traction control when it starts nerfing my throttle inputs... Stability control is a lifesaver though.
Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:41 AM   #31
robot
There are now 2 carseats!

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
The pedal dance
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25494
robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:15 AM   #32
drewbot
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S A/T
Thanked 1,452 Times in 752 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
VSC and Sport are never on together for me

Sport is rendered useless if you're in "M"

VSC on during winter city driving (yes, it helps)

Trac ON rest of the time road driving

Trac OFF for AutoX
drewbot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drewbot For This Useful Post:
Teseo (10-13-2014)
Old 10-13-2014, 12:49 PM   #33
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by robot View Post
Also, this myth of holding down the buttons to turn things off persists. I don't understand why.

The only way to turn of traction control and vehicle stability control is do the pedal dance.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...78&postcount=2

So this is what is possible:
-Pressing the TRAC button turns off traction control and is useful if you are stuck in ice, snow, mud, gravel, etc.
-Pressing the VSC button and putting the stability control in sport mode give you more of a yaw angle before the system kicks in and saves your ass.
-Holding the TRAC button will turn it off until 31 mph.
-Holding the TRAC button and then pressing the VSC button will allow you to be in sport mode with no traction control beyond 31 mph
-The pedal dance will actually disable all of this stuff.

You shouldn't really be messing with any of this on your daily commute.

Your information is incorrect.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:53 PM   #34
paulca

Drives: Toyota GT86 Coupe Red (UK)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahdizzle View Post
Your information is incorrect.
Indeed it is. If he actually read the manual excerpts he posted he would know that.

When only TRC is disabled it re-enables at 31mph. If you disable both then they stay off.

I believe the pedal dance is to turn off other auto braking of various wheels, such as the inside front in a corner. Not sure.

I heard someone say that VSC Sport mode gives you more of a yaw angle, but that's not what I have felt so far. It feels like a delay to me. At both extremes, I have gently let the tail start to slip on a bend and when a very small slide developed the VSC collected it almost immediately, but not quite as immediately as the full on mode would have. Then when I stamped it in the wet on crap road at 5mph it went 90* before the VSC start to try and save it.... while I corrected so I didn't hit the railings now dead in front, when it did.

...and yes I agree the VSC collecting a slide can be a lot more violent than the slide would have been. thrrrurmMMP! Unless you didn't mean to slide...
Old 10-13-2014, 03:24 PM   #35
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
I think this thread proves one thing more than any thing else:

MOST people who are turning off the TC&VSC systems know very little about how they work, or WHAT they are actually disabling....

I know one thing for a fact:
The car's systems nearly killed me once in the snow when they were disabled (by button holding) because they waited TOO LONG to re-engage then sent me into a snap-in oversteer to recover from a tiny slide that I had already compensated for.
If it had been fully engaged or COMPLETELY disabled, I would have recovered perfectly.
Instead I ended up backwards in traffic because the system did the exact opposite of what an experienced driver would do under the circumstances.

Sure - CUE the "then you dont know how to drive" drivel.
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:56 PM   #36
robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulca View Post
Indeed it is. If he actually read the manual excerpts he posted he would know that.

When only TRC is disabled it re-enables at 31mph. If you disable both then they stay off.

I believe the pedal dance is to turn off other auto braking of various wheels, such as the inside front in a corner. Not sure.

I heard someone say that VSC Sport mode gives you more of a yaw angle, but that's not what I have felt so far. It feels like a delay to me. At both extremes, I have gently let the tail start to slip on a bend and when a very small slide developed the VSC collected it almost immediately, but not quite as immediately as the full on mode would have. Then when I stamped it in the wet on crap road at 5mph it went 90* before the VSC start to try and save it.... while I corrected so I didn't hit the railings now dead in front, when it did.

...and yes I agree the VSC collecting a slide can be a lot more violent than the slide would have been. thrrrurmMMP! Unless you didn't mean to slide...
I re-read...you are correct.

http://www.fr-sforum.com/forums/fr-s...n-legnthy.html (Post #6 has the illustrations in place)

this seems comprehensive. I'm going to go read it.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:01 PM   #37
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by robot View Post
I re-read...you are correct.

http://www.fr-sforum.com/forums/fr-s...n-legnthy.html (Post #6 has the illustrations in place)

this seems comprehensive. I'm going to go read it.

HINT:
*1: If the VSC OFF switch (pattern select switch assembly) is pressed for about three seconds, VSC and TRAC turn off, and the VSC OFF indicator light and TRAC OFF indicator light illuminate simultaneously.

This is just wrong period.

Holding the VSC button does NOTHING. Other than take extra time to engage/disengage sport mode.

Quit posting bad information.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:09 PM   #38
robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahdizzle View Post
HINT:
*1: If the VSC OFF switch (pattern select switch assembly) is pressed for about three seconds, VSC and TRAC turn off, and the VSC OFF indicator light and TRAC OFF indicator light illuminate simultaneously.

This is just wrong period.

Holding the VSC button does NOTHING. Other than take extra time to engage/disengage sport mode.

Quit posting bad information.
Yeah I see that as well.

Also, the manual says to hold down the TRAC button to turn both off. In the pedal dance thread many are stating that some VSC functionality remains.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:13 PM   #39
robot

Quote:
I don't remember the original post (and a quick search didn't find it...), but someone had posted up a sequence to turn off additional electronics in the car. The sequence is as follows:

- Turn on the car. The car must be FULLY warmed up. You must do the entire sequence within 30 seconds of starting the car.
- Pull the e-brake 3 times. Hold/lock the e-brake on the 3rd pull.
- Press the brake pedal 3 times. Hold it down the third time.
- Pull the hand brake 3 more times. Hold/lock the hand brake on the 3rd pull
- Press the brake pedal 2 more times.
- On the last press of the brake pedal, two yellow lights should have come on.

I purposely used staggered brake compounds to test whether the brake dance does anything; here are my conclusions.

- The pedal dance eliminates electronic brake force distribution.
- The pedal dance also eliminates the "panic brake" function.
- I tried trail braking mid-turn with the "normal" electronic aids off, but without the pedal dance. This resulted in a spin; the car literally locked up the rear brakes. My speculation is that the car recognized the fronts locking up, and put additional force on the rear brakes. The problem here, is that I had purposely put a much lower friction pad in the back, so it kept sending more and more brake pressure to the back, until it just locked. Once it locked, it stayed locked, even though I was not stepping on the brakes.
- I tried this again a few more times. Same result.
- I then tried again, but with a rear brake bias. This time, pressing on the brakes mid-turn or trail braking always resulted in the car straightening out and/or plowing.
- With the pedal dance, I can trail brake or brake in the middle of a turn for rotation just fine, regardless of pad setup."
(from the pedal dance thread)
Old 10-14-2014, 02:42 AM   #40
paulca

Drives: Toyota GT86 Coupe Red (UK)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
What a fucked up way to drive. Trail braking to create a slide? Bizarre.

One would typically rock the car with the brakes to get a slide and that's only really in rally world.

Custom brakes and custom brake balance, both things I'm sure the manual mentions (although not specifically) that will stop the VSC from working properly. So no surprise it did stop working properly.

I do know, in stock, if you go into a corner way too fast and try and brake hard and turn hard the VSC can't help you with the understeer, you just have to unwind the steering and try again.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:31 PM   #41
xcelir8brz

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
ON ALWAYS
xcelir8brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 05:24 PM   #42
Leonardo
Country Boy 4 Life

Drives: 19' & 06' Ridgelines, 13' FR-S
Thanked 5,291 Times in 2,720 Posts
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Only when needed. The mpg difference is noticeable on a road trip. I also drive with the traction control on, unless off of the Highway. (I own a parking lot)
Leonardo is offline   Reply With Quote