follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-18-2012, 12:54 AM   #43
Derrick

Drives: FR-S Raven
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I drove my moms car from 16-till 20 (now). She had a bright purple `98 corolla stock. Worked as much as i could and saved money and now i can afford it.

Lesson here, if u dont have the money dont get it. be smart about it

By the time you've saved up, there will be new things out that everyone will "hype" about!
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:56 AM   #44
cyrus

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS White Out
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
College is the next economic bubble. Society places so much emphasis on education that it's quite baffling. People fail to look into the opportunity cost of attending college especially in regards to financial cost and time.

College is not an education it's merely a credentialing system. Over 50% of new graduates do not have jobs because of this bubble. College teaches people how to be machines and not think independently and problem solve.

People make the assumption that everyone going to college is a great thing. The market is saturated with college graduates, so the value of the degree even from a credentialing standpoint is far less than in the past when the supply of graduates was low. It's quite hilarious when we are brain washed by politicians and the media that sending the youth to college makes our society better.

All the hires I've made have been based on the intellect of individuals and not a worthless piece of paper. In fact, most of the "educated individuals" perform rather poorly as college does not prepare them for real tasks.

Please take risks and focus on what you love. Become an entrepreneur/free lancer and find other avenues to build a career. You don't need a piece of paper to tell you what your worth. Learn animation independently. There's a huge demand for talented individuals at this time.

Too many people waste life in jobs they hate because society tells them it's the appropriate and "safe" thing to do. You are not Sisyphus.

Life is a dream. When you die, the dream ends. Make your decisions wisely.

In regards to the vehicle, if you can make the payments and it brings you enjoyment please take the leap. Money isn't what's important.
cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cyrus For This Useful Post:
blur (10-18-2012), e30kawi (10-23-2012), TurnOne (10-18-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 01:53 AM   #45
kuma

Drives: Whiteout FR-S MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheOcean View Post
Thanks...the only question is what to go to school for..
My dream college is around 50k a year if I want to dorm, which I do...
Even if I find something cheaper it would be 40k a year at most probably. Seems near impossible to save for-I should pick a different career.
anyway, Thanks for your input guys. It helps and means a lot.
Hey not a problem. Like some of the guys said, go to a community college first. You'll save TONS of money. While you're going to school and working, save up that extra money. Do well, apply for scholarships and/or grants. There are so many organizations and even the government that want to GIVE money away for students who do well or fit the demographic that they are looking for.

If you have low income, who knows, maybe you can qualify for financial aid and receive a grant or get a subsidized loan where the interest won't accrue until 6 months after you graduate. There are a lot of options and there are so many resources out there.

In my opinion, getting the funds for it will not be too difficult IF you work hard for college.

Get yourself a used car. 5k and I'm sure you can find a pretty decent Honda Civic that you can use that has AC and a heater and gets pretty good gas mileage. Pretty dependable too. Make sure if its close to 100k that they've already changed the water pump and timing belt. That's not a fun fix... nor is it cheap...

Good luck man. The people here in the forums are awesome and I'm sure all of them wish you the best.
kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:04 AM   #46
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrus View Post
College is the next economic bubble. Society places so much emphasis on education that it's quite baffling. People fail to look into the opportunity cost of attending college especially in regards to financial cost and time.

College is not an education it's merely a credentialing system. Over 50% of new graduates do not have jobs because of this bubble. College teaches people how to be machines and not think independently and problem solve.

People make the assumption that everyone going to college is a great thing. The market is saturated with college graduates, so the value of the degree even from a credentialing standpoint is far less than in the past when the supply of graduates was low. It's quite hilarious when we are brain washed by politicians and the media that sending the youth to college makes our society better.

All the hires I've made have been based on the intellect of individuals and not a worthless piece of paper. In fact, most of the "educated individuals" perform rather poorly as college does not prepare them for real tasks.

Please take risks and focus on what you love. Become an entrepreneur/free lancer and find other avenues to build a career. You don't need a piece of paper to tell you what your worth. Learn animation independently. There's a huge demand for talented individuals at this time.

Too many people waste life in jobs they hate because society tells them it's the appropriate and "safe" thing to do. You are not Sisyphus.

In regards to the vehicle, if you can make the payments and it brings you enjoyment please take the leap. Money isn't what's important.
i get what youre saying but realize that it is horrible advice. school isnt the next bubble, student debt is. the op is debating what to get in debt for. the frs wont pay for college but college will pay for the frs. college works. people who go to college make more than people who dont. true, the price of tuition is growing disproportionally to the pay increase but college isnt just a piece of paper. that thought process is whats broken, not education. some people go to college and actually learn things.

what do you hire people for? does it require an education? what kind of salary are those jobs? saying that college grad are less prepared than non grads is wrong. just because stupid people go to college doesnt mean college students are stupid. college doesnt make you dumber. as an xray tech and radiation therapist i can tell you college is a good thing. if it wasnt for college i could not afford much of anything. so far, every year of college after my a.a. has got me at least a 10 dollar raise per year. thats significant.

there are a host of options for paying for school. i actually got paid to get my first degree in radiology since i was taking notes for a deaf student and got paid to be in class. i also found a hospital to intern at that gave me a monthly stipend. even if those options are out of reach, get an associates from a junior college and maybe find out what your passion is along the way and for next to nothing.

id talk some more but im actually back in school and have to be up early but the fact that i keep going back and have had it pay off every time so i think im qualified to talk about it (not that anybody else isnt).
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatoni For This Useful Post:
kuma (10-18-2012), Mr.Jay (10-18-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 02:05 AM   #47
sho220

Drives: FR-S MT & FJ Cruiser
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Money isn't what's important.
Yeah...unless you don't have any. Then it becomes pretty freakin' important...

sho220 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sho220 For This Useful Post:
kharn83 (10-31-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 02:07 AM   #48
sho220

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
people who go to college make more than people who dont.
Generally true, but certainly not always.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:08 AM   #49
kuma

Quote:

I believe college is an important tool for the youth. It really depends on what field you really want to go into and how far up the chain you want to make it. If you don't have a college degree and you want to head up into corporations or businesses, without a degree, the journey up there will be very tough unless you're Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg.

I didn't realize until a couple years after I graduated but I learned very important skills that landed me my job. Even though I use probably less than 1% of what I learned in my major, the whole process of what I went through has become quite useful in what I do at my workplace. I think very independently in my work place because I deal with critical pieces of equipment which affect peoples lives.

It does make our society better. When talking to an uneducated individual, it's very hard to keep a conversation with them. There are those out there that are bright and can hold their own but for the most part, without education, it's very hard to communicate.

If you want uneducated individuals taking care of our bridges, buildings, electricity, water, etc, then fine. Good luck surviving. Without those who have been educated and have the discipline in those fields to do the job, I really wouldn't want to live in this world.

How about the computer or cell phone you're using right now? How did they design it? Were they told by a higher being to magically put one and one together to make it work?

Sorry for this outburst but I cannot agree with you.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:21 AM   #50
sho220

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuma View Post
I believe college is an important tool for the youth. It really depends on what field you really want to go into and how far up the chain you want to make it. If you don't have a college degree and you want to head up into corporations or businesses, without a degree, the journey up there will be very tough unless you're Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg.

I didn't realize until a couple years after I graduated but I learned very important skills that landed me my job. Even though I use probably less than 1% of what I learned in my major, the whole process of what I went through has become quite useful in what I do at my workplace. I think very independently in my work place because I deal with critical pieces of equipment which affect peoples lives.

It does make our society better. When talking to an uneducated individual, it's very hard to keep a conversation with them. There are those out there that are bright and can hold their own but for the most part, without education, it's very hard to communicate.

If you want uneducated individuals taking care of our bridges, buildings, electricity, water, etc, then fine. Good luck surviving. Without those who have been educated and have the discipline in those fields to do the job, I really wouldn't want to live in this world.

How about the computer or cell phone you're using right now? How did they design it? Were they told by a higher being to magically put one and one together to make it work?

Are you saying that if you don't have a college degree you are "uneducated"?

Old 10-18-2012, 02:30 AM   #51
kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho220 View Post
Are you saying that if you don't have a college degree you are "uneducated"?
No not at all. I have coworkers who do not have a degree and they are quite successful. I didn't mean to have it sound that way.

But some of the people that I talk to that have not gone to college, it's hard to hold a conversation with them.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:33 AM   #52
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
While I do not believe that education is the end all be all it is very important. (Richest guy I know has a grade 10 education)

Personally, I think its the drive or will that makes the biggest difference. Being super smart with no motivational is just as good as being dumb in my books. You have to realize that Money isnt the most important currency in life, time is. Don't waste yours. Set goals and get them accomplished. Trust me you will feel 10000000x better when you lay down the cash yourself than you would asking mommy or daddy to gift you a car.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:35 AM   #53
cyrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
i get what youre saying but realize that it is horrible advice. school isnt the next bubble, student debt is. the op is debating what to get in debt for. the frs wont pay for college but college will pay for the frs. college works. people who go to college make more than people who dont. true, the price of tuition is growing disproportionally to the pay increase but college isnt just a piece of paper. that thought process is whats broken, not education. some people go to college and actually learn things.

what do you hire people for? does it require an education? what kind of salary are those jobs? saying that college grad are less prepared than non grads is wrong. just because stupid people go to college doesnt mean college students are stupid. college doesnt make you dumber. as an xray tech and radiation therapist i can tell you college is a good thing. if it wasnt for college i could not afford much of anything. so far, every year of college after my a.a. has got me at least a 10 dollar raise per year. thats significant.

there are a host of options for paying for school. i actually got paid to get my first degree in radiology since i was taking notes for a deaf student and got paid to be in class. i also found a hospital to intern at that gave me a monthly stipend. even if those options are out of reach, get an associates from a junior college and maybe find out what your passion is along the way and for next to nothing.

id talk some more but im actually back in school and have to be up early but the fact that i keep going back and have had it pay off every time so i think im qualified to talk about it (not that anybody else isnt).
If you add up the net worth of individuals that didn't complete their college education in the past 100 years and account for inflation, it exceeds the summation of "college educated" individuals. Your statement: "people who go to college make more than people who don't" is completely false and unwarranted under the assumption you were discussing individuals that have completed college.

The average salary of my employees is 52K annually. You took my statement completely off base. I hire individuals in various industries but primarily engineers. I made the statement that I base individuals off their talent and not their degree. An individual that attended a prestigious institution will not get hired over a more talented individual that went to a lower ranked program of study.

If you want to discuss qualifications, I've attended three different institutions for a period of seven years total and have studied four completely different fields. I've witnessed first hand the problems with college and what it does for our society. It reduces individuals to machines with no initiative and destroys innovation and the entrepreneurial spirit.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:38 AM   #54
cyrus

Quote:

Read my post above. A college degree does not mean that individual is educated. I did go to school for seven years; however, my college education did not contribute to my current position as CEO of a successful startup.

The cell phone I'm using right now was envisioned by a hippie who dropped out of college during his first year and went on to change the world.

The final point is as follows: Individuals need to take more risk to be innovative to create their own careers. They shouldn't be forced to spend money and more importantly time at an institution for credentials.

P.S The market for 3D animation is massive at the moment. The increased bandwidth and computing power has made video based advertising far more prevalent. The various free lance sites around the internet contain a huge marketplace of people profiting off 3D animation. No one is going to ask you what university you attended. Financial security through this medium is easier to achieve than the majority think.

Last edited by cyrus; 10-18-2012 at 02:50 AM.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:39 AM   #55
sho220

Quote:
No not at all. I have coworkers who do not have a degree and they are quite successful. I didn't mean to have it sound that way.

But some of the people that I talk to that have not gone to college, it's hard to hold a conversation with them.
Being able to carry on a general conversation is something that is learned well before college age...

Old 10-18-2012, 02:39 AM   #56
Napoleon

Drives: BRZ WRB Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Jobs in the visual arts do exist but most are entry level positions that offer meager pay. Depending on your talent and the opportunities available, it could take several years to achieve financial comfort. In that case, extra measures should be taken to address that—a change in career or second job perhaps. I recall reading an article about a student who took out 200k worth of loans to attend New York University studying film even with her parent's objections —who by the way were willing to pay for her education if she attended a local and less expensive school. She insisted on New York University and graduated. She is unemployed and in debt. I do not want to sound pessimistic or frighten you by giving this example, but do understand that struggle is oftentimes a companionship for your dreams and aspirations.

I have no knowledge on the statistics between earning potential and a degree from an expensive school. In my personal opinion, people attend high rank/expensive colleges for the pedigree and resources for an advantageous education (whether those resources are teachers, top notch facilities, or networks). College does not guarantee employment. It teaches you the fundamentals in your field of choice and makes you more marketable in the workforce. College only nurtures, but it is you who defines success.
Napoleon is offline   Reply With Quote