follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 01-11-2016, 04:14 PM   #99
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
You don't stay in business by undercutting everyone else.

Look at Uber; they've been operating at a loss for how long now?

You're definitely right however uber's not a good example, most of the losses will continue because the losses are due to administrative and legal costs because of having to fight governments and establish in other big cities in other countries as well and continually fight against the lobby to ban them from those cities. In fact in 2014 and 2013 the first two quarters of both years they lost like 60-70 millions according to Forbes because of that. I know because my last semester term paper was on that for ECON
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 04:25 PM   #100
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
You're definitely right however uber's not a good example, most of the losses will continue because the losses are due to administrative and legal costs because of having to fight governments and establish in other big cities in other countries as well and continually fight against the lobby to ban them from those cities. In fact in 2014 and 2013 the first two quarters of both years they lost like 60-70 millions according to Forbes because of that. I know because my last semester term paper was on that for ECON
Be careful citing FORBES as a source; their pay structure makes it so unique views are how authors are paid, and they (FORBES) don't do any real fact checking...
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 05:04 PM   #101
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Be careful citing FORBES as a source; their pay structure makes it so unique views are how authors are paid, and they (FORBES) don't do any real fact checking...

understood, recode had an article as well:
http://recode.net/2015/08/05/yes-ube...ill-lose-more/

It's from when a whole bunch of companies had there yearly reports leaked.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
Old 01-11-2016, 05:13 PM   #102
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Drives: All the time
Thanked 1,067 Times in 674 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
You don't stay in business by undercutting everyone else.

If your pricing is lower because you're just trying to undercut the competition, then of course that's a poor business plan. But if, like Holley/Hooker (I assume...), you have access to material at lower cost because of volume, you have in-house capability for things like coatings/plating, and you have the equipment to create prototypes and bring them to production faster than small companies who have to outsource a significant portion of that work, not to mention they've been making exhaust products longer than the employees as most boutique shops have even been ALIVE, then the price will be lower because of efficiency and experience, and that's a big part of good business plan.
venturaII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 05:21 PM   #103
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by venturaII View Post
If your pricing is lower because you're just trying to undercut the competition, then of course that's a poor business plan. But if, like Holley/Hooker (I assume...), you have access to material at lower cost because of volume, you have in-house capability for things like coatings/plating, and you have the equipment to create prototypes and bring them to production faster than small companies who have to outsource a significant portion of that work, not to mention they've been making exhaust products longer than the employees as most boutique shops have even been ALIVE, then the price will be lower because of efficiency, and that's a good business plan.
Thats is the theory and sounds like a dream, but the fact is the owners want/need more money for future R&D and business expansion.
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 05:30 PM   #104
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Drives: All the time
Thanked 1,067 Times in 674 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teseo View Post
Thats is the theory and sounds like a dream, but the fact is the owners want/need more money for future R&D and business expansion.

Sure, there still needs to be padding for R&D and such. But if the R&D costs less for the reasons listed before, then the company can charge less and still be covering their costs plus profit, and in doing so, potentially grab a larger market share through increased volume (assuming the product performs the same). There's nothing ground-breaking here...it's just basic accounting.
venturaII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:28 AM   #105
SoCal996JT

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
That would be a pretty large cars & coffee - hope they have a big parking lot

LOL!!!! I think it was meant for anyone interested, though it would be awesome to see the entire forum and meet everybody. I'm sure they can accommodate. I've been to their facility and they can easily accommodate anyone who replied or posted on this thread.
SoCal996JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:37 AM   #106
SoCal996JT

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
BTW guys, I saw another thread wondering where people can buy O2 extension leads and the Hooker Blackheart will come in the UEL Header w/o cat kit already included, plus an O2 plug as well.
SoCal996JT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SoCal996JT For This Useful Post:
Teseo (01-13-2016)
Old 01-12-2016, 07:56 AM   #107
JFC

Drives: 2015 86, 2015 Evo X
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal996JT View Post
Ok, I'm not sure if I just got an early Christmas present but I was having dinner and someone with a Hooker shirt approached me and asked if I owned the red FR-S. Not sure how to react, I said I suppose so....LOL!!!!

Well it turns out he worked for Holley Performance and Blackheart Hooker Headers. I wasn't sure where it was headed because I had assumed they were a hot rod performance company but he expressed a lot of interest in the FR-S.

Long story short, they asked to use my car for development. I am still uncertain since I've only had possession of my car for only about a month. The guy offered to take me for a tour tomorrow so I'm gonna check it out on my lunch break!!!! At least I hope to see some awesome project cars.

I'll report back after my tour tomorrow!!!! Hoping for great FRIDAY 👍😄
I would be seeking a very thorough contract with all the details and expectations. Who takes ownership for what damage etc.

Im sure you will work it out.
JFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:59 AM   #108
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFC View Post
I would be seeking a very thorough contract with all the details and expectations. Who takes ownership for what damage etc.

Im sure you will work it out.
Someone's not been following the thread

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kodename47 For This Useful Post:
Cmorris8848 (01-13-2016), Cole (01-12-2016), Summerwolf (01-13-2016)
Old 01-12-2016, 12:50 PM   #109
JFC

Drives: 2015 86, 2015 Evo X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
Someone's not been following the thread
Apologies

I tired to read it all, got hung up, my bad
JFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:56 PM   #110
FRSBRZGT86FAN

https://www.holley.com/products/exha...nd_subaru_brz/

Looks like some of the stuff they've made so far has already made it to there website

Also the installation manuals are from when you first started getting pics of your car being worked on 12/18/2015:

http://documents.holley.com/199r10959.pdf

It's also there first import in the blackheart lineup:

Good to know they are following trends an not limiting themselves to american muscle. It's not as easy an install as the competitors which might completely turn people off to it, it reminds me of the corsa axle back on corvettes of how you need to cut the stock exhaust system off rather than a simple bolt on install.

Last edited by FRSBRZGT86FAN; 01-13-2016 at 12:13 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
Cole (01-12-2016), Teseo (01-13-2016)
Old 01-12-2016, 01:02 PM   #111
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
https://www.holley.com/products/exha...nd_subaru_brz/

Looks like some of the stuff they've made has made it to there website

Also the installation manuals are from when you first started getting pics of your car being worked on 12/18/2015:

http://documents.holley.com/199r10959.pdf
Not terrible pricing either. If I didn't already have the Kakimoto GT1.0Z, I'd be considering the single exit.

Edit: Though I REALLY don't like that you need to cut up your mid-pipe for the install...
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 01:04 PM   #112
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
Not terrible pricing either. If I didn't already have the Kakimoto GT1.0Z, I'd be considering the single exit.

I'd love to hear some sound clips of there's first though
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
Cole (01-12-2016)