follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 06-23-2015, 12:57 PM   #29
yomny

Drives: 2013 FRS Whiteout
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rybot View Post
As a general question, how's the intake filter holding up? Have there been any updates to the design to mitigate or reduce the interference in the engine bay?
I replaced mine, not sure if I documented here. JDL's original design is good as it has a nipple on the intake pipe for the oem crankcase vent or anything else you may need it for(or the cold air version, but requires deleting the washer fluid). I didn't need it and the filter was getting torn by the ABS unit and something else im not quite sure what. I'll dig up the info on the new K&N filter im using.. its on the first pics I posted.. the filter bolts up to the turbo inlet directly.

PS- found it. So first I ordered this little fool and it got torn.. the filter pretty much hangs from the flange and its heavy enough to tear the rubber when enough heat hits it. It gets hot in there and the rubber K&N uses couldn't stand up to the heat and the weight of the filter hanging of the flange without any other support.

Proceeded to get this guy, as its a bit longer I needed it to have the flange at an angle. the flange is also longer so it has more support on the turbo inlet and it rests on part of the chassis. Doing great so far.

Sitting in his new home, don't tighten the clamp too much or it'll cut through the rubber, finger tight almost.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:07 PM   #30
Rybot

Drives: Subaru BRZ Series.Blue
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yomny View Post
I replaced mine, not sure if I documented here. JDL's original design is good as it has a nipple on the intake pipe for the oem crankcase vent or anything else you may need it for(or the cold air version, but requires deleting the washer fluid). I didn't need it and the filter was getting torn by the ABS unit and something else im not quite sure what. I'll dig up the info on the new K&N filter im using.. its on the first pics I posted.. the filter bolts up to the turbo inlet directly.

PS- found it. So first I ordered this little fool and it got torn.. the filter pretty much hangs from the flange and its heavy enough to tear the rubber when enough heat hits it. It gets hot in there and the rubber K&N uses couldn't stand up to the heat and the weight of the filter hanging of the flange without any other support.

Proceeded to get this guy, as its a bit longer I needed it to have the flange at an angle. the flange is also longer so it has more support on the turbo inlet and it rests on part of the chassis. Doing great so far.

So that's the current filter? I thought you just said you're running into issues?

Did you not opt for the washer bottle delete because you DD?
Old 06-23-2015, 01:09 PM   #31
yomny

Quote:
So that's the current filter? I thought you just said you're running into issues?

Did you not opt for the washer bottle delete because you DD?

Lol I was still updating.. this is how it sits.. I ran into issues with the smaller K&N which was torn due to heat and weight from the filter itself hanging without any support. The original JDL design is good, had no issues but since I didn't need the port, I thought eliminating the clutter would help, plus a metal pipe gets really hot, so this may add to the heat the car is sucking in.

I opted for the short ram because I really need my washer bottle.. I use it a lot lol.

Old 06-23-2015, 01:10 PM   #32
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Always better to at least run some kind of intake and not the filter right on the end of the turbo.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:13 PM   #33
yomny

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
Always better to at least run some kind of intake and not the filter right on the end of the turbo.

Any particular reason, just wondering? I know the heat is bad and the rubber on the filter may not handle it. Also see JDL has a 4" intake for the turbo on their bigger framed GTX's. My original intake pipe would get extremely hot, I know the intercooler cools things after this but I thought any reduction in heat anywhere would be beneficial, plus my intake was getting torn up with the rubbing of the ABS unit. I keep an eye on it and if I see anything I could always throw the stock intake on.. after all it was working well.
Old 06-23-2015, 02:18 PM   #34
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
Any particular reason, just wondering? I know the heat is bad and the rubber on the filter may not handle it. Also see JDL has a 4" intake for the turbo on their bigger framed GTX's. My original intake pipe would get extremely hot, I know the intercooler cools things after this but I thought any reduction in heat anywhere would be beneficial, plus my intake was getting torn up with the rubbing of the ABS unit. I keep an eye on it and if I see anything I could always throw the stock intake on.. after all it was working well.
http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/air_filter
Old 06-23-2015, 02:24 PM   #35
yomny

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
I see thanks for that, the only thing is that I seem to be using the exact size filter as the original design, the only difference is the 3" piece of metal. Not sure if this changes things that much. This brought up and important point, the filter change could create different pressures and oil leakage!! I don't know if this is just coincidence but my drain line gasket leak started some time after the change and my leak is not from the seals. Damn!!

They are referring to filter changes causing restrictions, I don't think that's the case here though.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:37 PM   #36
Rybot

Quote:
I see thanks for that, the only thing is that I seem to be using the exact size filter as the original design, the only difference is the 3" piece of metal. Not sure if this changes things that much. This brought up and important point, the filter change could create different pressures and oil leakage!! I don't know if this is just coincidence but my drain line gasket leak started some time after the change and my leak is not from the seals. Damn!!

They are referring to filter changes causing restrictions, I don't think that's the case here though.
Any other idea as to the leak then? You sure the air filter wouldn't be the problem?
Old 06-23-2015, 05:09 PM   #37
yomny

Quote:
Any other idea as to the leak then? You sure the air filter wouldn't be the problem?

Doubt it, highly, as a restriction would represent the problem as stated by Garret, this is the opposite lol. Not sure.. I guess i'll see how it goes after today with the new gasket.. if not I'll install the flange and see how that goes.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:46 PM   #38
yomny

Update on the turbo oil drain leak, it's still leaking, going on my third gasket. Although I didn't apply loctite this a pretty unsual situation. Not sure if the flange is deformed or what. I should get the new flange tomorrow and I'll be sure to add some blue loctite to the bolts. This is the dumbest must annoying thing I've ever had to deal with. A leak that no matter what's done, doesn't stop lol this feels like a conspiracy lol. Hopefully it ends tomorrow.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:48 PM   #39
drambo136

Drives: 2013 Hot Lava
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Update on the turbo oil drain leak, it's still leaking, going on my third gasket. Although I didn't apply loctite this a pretty unsual situation. Not sure if the flange is deformed or what. I should get the new flange tomorrow and I'll be sure to add some blue loctite to the bolts. This is the dumbest must annoying thing I've ever had to deal with. A leak that no matter what's done, doesn't stop lol this feels like a conspiracy lol. Hopefully it ends tomorrow.
Try using a VERY small amount of rtv

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
drambo136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:21 AM   #40
yomny

Quote:
Originally Posted by drambo136 View Post
Try using a VERY small amount of rtv

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Thanks for that.

I didn't want to get to that point but I have a nice tube of the Toyota liquid gasket, used on the oil pans for these cars and that was next but since I have the flange hopefully coming in today I figured I give that a shot before. I'm going to use thread locker on the bolts also as I noticed yesterday i was able to tighten them more, which wasn't the case when i installed them. I get the feeling they're backing out slightly or the flange is deformed. Its the only thing i could think of because i know it cannot be the gaskets. This is pretty annoying.. one of those things that makes me want to weld a damn drain hose to the center housing(patience, lets be patient lol)

Edit- Here's my worst nightmare for now lol. I cleaned the front part of the oil drain flange but you could clearly see the rear section where the oil has soaked the gasket and coming out through the bottom of the bolt. I cant see any cracks on the cast housing or any oil coming from any other part of the turbo.

front part, close to fans

Rear shot, close to engine.

Last edited by yomny; 06-24-2015 at 11:43 AM.
yomny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 01:01 PM   #41
Rybot

Quote:
Thanks for that.

I didn't want to get to that point but I have a nice tube of the Toyota liquid gasket, used on the oil pans for these cars and that was next but since I have the flange hopefully coming in today I figured I give that a shot before. I'm going to use thread locker on the bolts also as I noticed yesterday i was able to tighten them more, which wasn't the case when i installed them. I get the feeling they're backing out slightly or the flange is deformed. Its the only thing i could think of because i know it cannot be the gaskets. This is pretty annoying.. one of those things that makes me want to weld a damn drain hose to the center housing(patience, lets be patient lol)

Edit- Here's my worst nightmare for now lol. I cleaned the front part of the oil drain flange but you could clearly see the rear section where the oil has soaked the gasket and coming out through the bottom of the bolt. I cant see any cracks on the cast housing or any oil coming from any other part of the turbo.

front part, close to fans

Rear shot, close to engine.
That second picture is showing the oil buildup on the flange? That's what I'm seeing at least.

I doubt the flanges are bent as you would have experienced this earlier in that case.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:09 PM   #42
yomny

Quote:
That second picture is showing the oil buildup on the flange? That's what I'm seeing at least.

I doubt the flanges are bent as you would have experienced this earlier in that case.

I know and this is why my head is going to burst.. it doesn't look bent or warped but why is this leaking, unless there's a hair line crack on the center housing. The front part also had a little build up but I wiped it clean before taking the pic. The only other guess would be the bolts backing out and allowing the oil to flow around.